Water weight

Options
Weight fluctuates drastically daily . Can go up and down by 5 pds daily . Wondering how to rid of so much water weight .

Replies

• TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of water weight when I cut my carbohydrate intake to under 20. When I did this, I saw my weight drop anywhere from 3-5 pounds. It then started to slow down after about 3 weeks and that is the stage I am at now.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Although this sounds counter intuitive, fluid retention can be helped by staying well hydrated at all times so make sure you are getting in enough water. Staying away from high sodium foods can help too.

If you find you are struggling with signs of inflammation alongside extra water retention maybe examine any foods that could be contributing to this....also if this is ongoing and noticeable, even after trying some simple diet modifications a trip to the Dr's might be in order to just make sure everything is alright.

Hope this helps.
  • gagirlhd
    gagirlhd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I drink an average of 80oz of water a day so I think it is safe to say I am well hydrated. My weight still fluctuates an average of 4lbs a day depending on what time I weigh. Fluctuations are normal and shouldn't be stressed over.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I have this issue too, partly just because I'm me, partly because I bank calories, meaning the amount I eat varies a lot - but also because of my bathroom scales, which are erratic and constantly gaslighting me.

5lb fluctuation is a lot, have you considered replacing the batteries, or even getting new scales?
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself too often. Pick a day of the week and weigh yourself that day, same time, every week. See what your results are at the end of a month.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Our bodies retain fluids for various reasons - muscle recovery is a big one. One thing I try to remember is that water is not fat. If I'm trying to lose weight I have to remember that while the scale is a number, it's not really weight I want to lose, but fat. In general if I'm eating well and getting in better shape, I don't care that I fluctuate due to water weight. It's the trend that matters.

I get it that in the short term it is sometimes hard to tell if you are losing fat when holding water masks it on the scale. That's why it's preached around here to look long-term, look at the trend, and focus on the lifestyle change - not the scale number.

[Edited to add:]
    If you know water weight fluctuates and you also know you are losing fat, why would you have a desire to "lose the water weight" other than possibly "feeling" bloated or uncomfortable? If you are doing it so the number on the scale will look better, that's probably not the right reason.