Running "right"

Options
How do I know if I'm running correctly? I'm definitely new, and started by using the zombies, run 5k app and am now on week 3 of Hal Higdons 10k novice plan. It's going well! My right knee feels a bit tight sometimes so I'm doing some IT band exercises and trying to be sure I stretch well. My cross training is usually elliptical machine work using resistance.

My main question is about form. I run by myself, and am still about 60 pounds overweight (but dropping!) I'm eating at a calorie deficit. How do I figure out if my form is correct? I have no feedback other than how I feel. No clue if my strike or stride or posture or arms are correct. My main goals are to avoid injury and improve my body fitness. I'm hoping to jog a 1/2 marathon in August. I'm wearing brooks adrenaline shoes, mostly because it's one of very few xwide shoes (no more foot pain or numbness!)

Anything I need to be thinking about?

Replies

• filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Go to an actual running store and have a gait analysis done. They will also recommend correct shoes accordingly.

I recommend purchasing at least the first pair of shoes from them. Then if you feel like it, go online for future purchases. Having the right shoes is a must. If they say the shoes you are currently using are fine, all the better.
  • makelemonade14
    makelemonade14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Go to an actual running store and have a gait analysis done. They will also recommend correct shoes accordingly.

I recommend purchasing at least the first pair of shoes from them. Then if you feel like it, go online for future purchases. Having the right shoes is a must. If they say the shoes you are currently using are fine, all the better.

I did go to ours, that's where I bought my last pair (wide Ghosts.) I went back for another pair, and really needed something in an xwide but they didn't have any. :( I have insanely wide feet.
  • laurienem
    laurienem Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I did go to ours, that's where I bought my last pair (wide Ghosts.) I went back for another pair, and really needed something in an xwide but they didn't have any. :( I have insanely wide feet.

Have you tried men's shoes? I have wide feet and normal men's shoes fit me really well. So maybe a wide men's shoe would fit well for you.

You can ask the people at the running store about how your gait looks. Another option is to film yourself and compare it to a video of proper running form. Should be striking mid-foot (not with your heel first!), not reaching too far in front of your body with your legs or bringing your feet around sideways when striding forward, and keeping your arms fairly tight to your body.

Some good ways to start:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/run-faster/proper-running-form
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRkeBVMQSgg
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @makelemonade14 I'd head over to a running specialty store for an analysis. Ask if they have and clinics and join their running club for great runs and info. Clubs in Vegas are great! I also second trying Men's shoes. They tend to be wider. Good luck with your training and happy running!
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Youtube videos or a book on running form which should cover the basics. I read "The Art of Running Faster" recently and it had some good tips about running form in it. Aside from that, joining a club and just asking someone experienced to watch you run and advise may also help.
  • pbee89
    pbee89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I run like phoebe from friends. Ironic because that's my actual name lol