I see the point but I am not sure DC should have the last word on school menus.

Options

Replies

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Well somebody needs to get a firm grip on improving how our country nourishes our children. Have you ever seen a comparison between the typical USA school lunch and the school lunches of other countries? The USA lunch is pathetic!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    There have long been rules for any school with subsidized lunches, so this is just an attempt to clean up the rules.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh dear, they mentioned my state. WV is notorious for poor food choices so it doesn't surprise me a preschool got in trouble for handing out candy. We my teenage daughters were in elementary school candy had been banned for all holiday parties yet the hot dogs (better than candy?!) they served at back to school night were green. Now in high school the lines are so long they either go through the quick sandwich line, carry a sandwich in their backpack, or go without. I long age learned to rely on myself to teach them healthy eating.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh at the comments about less kids eating the school lunches due to lack of flavor, and the idea creating a black market for salt!

But it goes to show that if the schools did serve healthy lunches, the kids that grew up on complete crap would probably not want to eat them. I know in this area the lunches are just horrible. This city has a very progressive school system, and some innovative ideas with specialty programs at all levels, but they still can't serve a decent lunch.

Not that I oppose the idea. I really think the best shot at helping change the health levels in the US is to start with the younger kids and educate them properly, as well as provide them with balanced and nutritious food options at school.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed a change in my kid's school menu since all of these new rules went into place-there's still hot dogs, chicken nuggets, pizza etc on the menu every month. I guess a salad bar has been added, but my kids have informed me that no one uses it :p
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There have long been rules for any school with subsidized lunches, so this is just an attempt to clean up the rules.

Yeah, this is the point I was about to make, 'til I saw you already had. Fed control over the school lunch program (which relies on fed funds, at least in part), is not new. Indeed, it's related to the whole "ketchup is a vegetable" thing of the Reagan era.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I haven't noticed a change in my kid's school menu since all of these new rules went into place-there's still hot dogs, chicken nuggets, pizza etc on the menu every month. I guess a salad bar has been added, but my kids have informed me that no one uses it :p

Brian Wansink has been involved in designing school cafeterias to help encourage use of the salad bar and other healthy choices, and has some interesting ideas about what works (supposedly his changes resulted in huge increases in some test program, although I don't have the details at hand and expect there may be another side to the story).

Anyway, I thought this was kind of neat: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/10/21/opinion/20101021_Oplunch.html?_r=0
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    If states and local schools systems don't want to follow the federal rules on nutrition in school lunches, they don't have to take the federal money for school lunches. Why is it OK for states to set rules for how low-income individuals should use "food-stamp" subsidies, but it's not OK for the federal government to set rules on how schools use their school lunch subsidies?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    America's school dinners are a joke and tantamount to child abuse. Why would you let the profit churning uncaring governors take hold?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Here in Germany, at school we usually had the choice of one out of 4 different meals, usually something along the lines of Regular meal A, regular meal B, Vegetarian, and Special which would be something like Pizza or whatever. You were supposed to choose together with your parents (you got a schedule for the whole month in advance to choose so they know how much of each to make), so you wouldn't take the Special food every day.

Now at university we've got even more freedom. It's a huge university compared to the size of the town (over 20% of the population are students), with multiple campusses divided all over town and thus also multiple cafeterias all with different foods available. It's something like 20 different meals you can choose from every day. It's all varied and nutritious and cheap because it's subsidized by the state. Between 1,50 and 3 Euro per meal depending what it is. Tuition is less than 200 Euro per semester and that includes a permanent ticket for almost all public transport in the whole state.

What I want to say is, yeah the USA needs to get their *kitten* together concerning the whole education thing, the food being one of them.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @DancingDarl what are school lunches like in your country. Steven gave examples from Germany. For money reasons mom fixed our lunches especially in the lower grades. I had a friend that was an only child who always had money and he wanted to buy what mom fixed for me so I would sell my lunch for cash. He died in his 40's from stomach cancer so I wondered if Mom's food was bad for him. Since he lived on junk food a lot of the time and was heavy may have been more of an issue however. Of course the doctor having on antacids for years when it was cancer was the thing that did him in at the end I expect.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was shocked when i saw what kids in america eat at lunch. Just terrible. There needs to be some big changes for the children.

You can't generalize like this. Kids in the US eat lots of different things for lunch. School districts offer differ things. You need to be more specific if making a claim like that, so we can evaluate the evidence it is based on and how applicable it is to our various parts of the US.

On the other hand, I agree with steven's comment. We do need to. It feels impossible.

Re: Gale's comment -- I was a somewhat picky kid, so I always brought my own lunch. I had to make it myself after a point. I am not sure how bad our lunches were, as a result (my own personal lunch wasn't bad until high school when I stopped eating lunch for a good bit of the time -- after I quit cross-country skiing).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When my son was in school there was a caf there but he wouldn't use it he was picky.

So for about 3 years he ate ham, lettuce and cheese slices between bread.
    For the next year it was kraft dinner out of a heated thermos
    For the next year it was snacks

kids are kids and some refuse to eat certain things.

As long as they are eating well balanced meals who cares....and remember it's only one meal at school...lunch.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ok, found my kid's school hot lunch menu for April, we live in the mid-west, U.S. Here's the first week-

$1.95/served with skim and 1% milk

Monday: A. mini corn dogs B. hot sub sandwich (both served with green beans and choice of fruit)

Tuesday: A. Eggo mini pancakes with sausage and syrup B. Turkey with cheese on bun (both served with choice of fruit)

Wednesday: A. Sizzlin' Chicken Fajitas (2) with cheese B. Mexican burrito (both served with refried beans, Tostios Scoops, choice of fruit)

Thursday: A. Sloppy Joes with bun B. Club sub (both served with curly fries and choice of fruit)

Friday: A. Baked popcorn chicken B. baked fish shapes (both served with chocolate pudding, golden corn, choice of fruit)

And then there is an option C. of a chef salad
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited March 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    When my son was in school there was a caf there but he wouldn't use it he was picky.

So for about 3 years he ate ham, lettuce and cheese slices between bread.
    For the next year it was kraft dinner out of a heated thermos
    For the next year it was snacks

kids are kids and some refuse to eat certain things.

As long as they are eating well balanced meals who cares....and remember it's only one meal at school...lunch.

That depends-around here, many kids eat breakfast at school and then take bagged suppers home with them as well (provided by local charities/churches). I've helped make the sack suppers and they include a pb sandwich, piece of fruit, juice box and then something like animal crackers. We are in the suburbs, between a rural area and a large city.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    School-provided lunches are an unfamiliar concept to me. Do students have the choice to bring their own lunch, or is it mandatory to partake in the school lunch program? What is the purpose of the school providing lunch?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm genuinely curious.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited March 2016
    Options
    School-provided lunches are an unfamiliar concept to me. Do students have the choice to bring their own lunch, or is it mandatory to partake in the school lunch program? What is the purpose of the school providing lunch?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm genuinely curious.

Here at least, hot lunches are optional (most days my kids bring in packed lunches because I'm too cheap to spend almost $2 for what they offer). However, there's a lot of kids who use the program, as well as the breakfast option. There's local districts that now offer totally free breakfast/lunches for all students as well. I don't want to start a debate on top of a debate here, so I'll keep my thoughts on the hot lunch program to myself :p I'm pulling my kids from the traditional public school after this year anyways (one is already out). Counting the minutes lol.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have 2 daughters. 1 is 15 slim athletic build. Takes her own lunch. She will take leftovers in a thermos or make a sandwich.
    2nd daughter would prefer to eat school lunch and she is obese.
    Our school still offers bags of chips, cookies and ice cream for the kids to buy. I caught her buying this crap and told her I'm not putting money into her lunch account anymore for the rest of the year.
    As for the salad bar I know my oldest daughter would love a salad bar.

Lunches here (rural midwest):

Corn dog, au gratin potatoes, peaches milk

hamburger on bun, broccoli w/cheese, peaches, milk

so on and so forth. Pizza, pizza crunchers, tacos, quesadillas, hot dogs, country fried steak, and bbq on a bun. I know that the girls have stated they can get a breaded chicken sandwich on a bun as another option. That's if they don't run out.

I guess the addition of veggies and fruit is what makes it healthy. Personally I wouldn't eat any of this on a daily basis.
    I would like to know where lunch costs $1.95 since I'm paying $2.90 a lunch. Another reason why I told my youngest I wasn't paying because I can easily buy this same crap for a lot cheaper than what I'm paying the school to sell it to her for.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited March 2016
    Options
    angel7472 wrote: »
    I have 2 daughters. 1 is 15 slim athletic build. Takes her own lunch. She will take leftovers in a thermos or make a sandwich.
    2nd daughter would prefer to eat school lunch and she is obese.
    Our school still offers bags of chips, cookies and ice cream for the kids to buy. I caught her buying this crap and told her I'm not putting money into her lunch account anymore for the rest of the year.
    As for the salad bar I know my oldest daughter would love a salad bar.

Lunches here (rural midwest):

Corn dog, au gratin potatoes, peaches milk

hamburger on bun, broccoli w/cheese, peaches, milk

so on and so forth. Pizza, pizza crunchers, tacos, quesadillas, hot dogs, country fried steak, and bbq on a bun. I know that the girls have stated they can get a breaded chicken sandwich on a bun as another option. That's if they don't run out.

I guess the addition of veggies and fruit is what makes it healthy. Personally I wouldn't eat any of this on a daily basis.
    I would like to know where lunch costs $1.95 since I'm paying $2.90 a lunch. Another reason why I told my youngest I wasn't paying because I can easily buy this same crap for a lot cheaper than what I'm paying the school to sell it to her for.

West Michigan/$1.95 per lunch (breakfast is $1.10). That's full price-if you qualify for the reduced cost program it's .30 breakfast/.40 lunch (we don't qualify for this program, even being a one income household though).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Here are the menu options for my kid's school lunch today and tomorrow:

Lunch Entree
    Whole Grain Spaghetti with Seasoned Meatsauce & Breadstick
    Chicken Nuggets,w/ Roll
    Vegetables
    Fresh Broccoli
    Fresh Baby Carrots
    Fresh Lettuce/Spinach Mix
    Fresh Cucumber Slices
    Fresh Celery Sticks
    5 Way Mixed Vegetable
    Fruit
    Fruit Cocktail
    Fresh Banana
    Milk
    Fat Free Chocolate Milk
    White 1% Low Fat Milk

Lunch Entree

Chicken Alfredo Pizza
    Whole Grain Southwestern Veggie Wrap
    Vegetables
    Fresh Broccoli
    Fresh Baby Carrots
    Fresh Lettuce/Spinach Mix
    Fresh Cucumber Slices
    Fresh Celery Sticks
    Salad Bar, Beans, Garbanzo
    Fresh Steamed Broccoli
    Fruit
    Apple Slices, Cnd, Unswt
    Fresh Sliced Oranges
    Milk
    Fat Free Chocolate Milk
    White 1% Low Fat Milk

We have free breakfast and lunch throughout our entire district. Kids get the entree, at least one veggie and at least one fruit.

They recently had samples of the food at one of our PTO meetings, I thought it was decent.

My kids bring their lunch probably 3 days/week and get school lunch the other two - but it is on days like today with chicken nuggets, not likely the southwestern veggie wrap tomorrow...

This discussion has been closed.