Is it possible?

Options
I'm currently around 200 lbs at 5'3". I'm wanting to be in the 130 range before I visit my family in December. I'm just wondering if a consistent weight loss of 2 pounds a week is possible from March 30th to December?

Any tips would be great and very much appreciated! My biggest worry is reaching a plateau or how to consistently lose 2 pounds per week.

Replies

• jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think that in that time frame with a consistant reduction of calories you should be able to realistically lose the first 50 by then , maybe even more ... As you get to a normal BMI the loss will slow somewhat and it becomes harder to reduce enough calories to keep that high a rate of loss.
    So by December you will be much lighter than you are now.
    To assist with not stalling , re calculate your calorie allowance every 10lb , use a food scale and record everything .
    Weight loss is not always the same each week some weeks you may lose 3lb some weeks the 2 you expect and some none , track the trends as long as it is going down overtime you are getting to your goal.
  • lauraloy2013
    lauraloy2013 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I think that it's achievable or close to it at least! If you keep within your calories but make sure to eat your exercise calories back because of you don't you can plateau at times. Try to keep your diet varied too so that your body doesn't get too used to a certain diet (I.e not eating the exact same thing every day until December lol) as the variety will keep boosting your metabolism. Good luck!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to start making the right choice. Each good decision is a step in the right direction, you get there when you get there.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I think that it's achievable or close to it at least! If you keep within your calories but make sure to eat your exercise calories back because of you don't you can plateau at times. Try to keep your diet varied too so that your body doesn't get too used to a certain diet (I.e not eating the exact same thing every day until December lol) as the variety will keep boosting your metabolism. Good luck!!

sorry but this diet advice isn't really based on science.
    a) yes, it's good to eat back exercise calories but it's because you need to properly fuel your body. just be careful because MFP tends to overestimate calories burned! many people here only eat back about 50% of the calories estimated by MFP
    b) the variation in your diet has nothing to do with metabolism. just consistently eat fewer calories than your burn and you will lose weight! it's really that simple. (not always easy, but simple!)

my advice is to forget about a certain number. once you set a certain number in your mind, if you see you won't make it to that goal in time, it's very easy to get discouraged and give up. i think it's wiser to say, "my goal is to log my calories each day until december." see where that takes you! even if it's not to the 130's, it's enough to make a huuuuge difference!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Not likely. Will get smaller week by week.....
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options

sorry but this diet advice isn't really based on science.
    a) yes, it's good to eat back exercise calories but it's because you need to properly fuel your body. just be careful because MFP tends to overestimate calories burned! many people here only eat back about 50% of the calories estimated by MFP
    b) the variation in your diet has nothing to do with metabolism. just consistently eat fewer calories than your burn and you will lose weight! it's really that simple. (not always easy, but simple!)

my advice is to forget about a certain number. once you set a certain number in your mind, if you see you won't make it to that goal in time, it's very easy to get discouraged and give up. i think it's wiser to say, "my goal is to log my calories each day until december." see where that takes you! even if it's not to the 130's, it's enough to make a huuuuge difference!

^^^ this. It's good to have a number and you're already fretting about a plateau before you've even started. let go of the number. you just need to log every day and see where the trend takes you. worrying about a plateau now worries me you'll give up if you don't think you are where you want to be. good luck.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

This is just nonsense. Not eating your exercise calories back will NOT result in a plateau. Eating a variety of foods does not increase metabolism.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1400-1500 hundred and have been lossing about 1.5- 2 lbs a week. I
    'm ten lbs heaver than you. But weight loss rates are different for everyone.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I doubt it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    It is possible....I lost 40lbs between Feb. and Sept. 3 years ago. and the weight loss in August was by accident! I actually went past my goal and ended up slightly under-weight and had to work on maintaining/gaining the rest of the year:) I think I set my calories around 1350 and worked out about 1 hour every day (stuff like 30 Day Shred, treadmill, and weight machines).
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Even if you aren't in the 130 range by that time, you will still have significant weight loss. I try hard not to put an end-goal number with a date, and rather want to focus on healthy steps to get to my ultimate goal weight. Whether you lose 50 or 70 pounds by then, the difference will be noticeable, and commendable. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself to get to that number and just see how you feel as the weight comes off!

As for the losing 2 pounds per week consistently -- it's not a guarantee. Just do the best you can. If you only lose 1 pound in a week, be proud of that. Pick up a pound of flour at the grocery store and realize you lost all of that weight in one week. Two pounds is great, but it's not the be-all-end-all.

Best of luck in your journey!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You can probably get close! 70 lbs in 9 months is not unreasonable. The last few lbs are always the hardest though, so don't get discouraged if you don't quite make it 50 or 60 lbs will be just as noticeable.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You can probably get close! 70 lbs in 9 months is not unreasonable. The last few lbs are always the hardest though, so don't get discouraged if you don't quite make it 50 or 60 lbs will be just as noticeable.

This. Nothing to lose by going for it. Just don't quit.
  • katiemstamey
    katiemstamey Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouraging words and advice :D!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My worry is the word "consistent". Weight loss is not consistent, so it's better to prepare for that. Take your measurements now, because as you go along and hit a bad streak (we all do), you can check those measurements and see progress. The first year that was my salvation.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    It is possible.
    That being said, be careful to not focus too much on your deadline! It can be a great motivator, absolutely. Just don't let "70 pounds lost by December" become "70 pounds lost by December or Nothing"
    What I'm saying is, what happens if December comes around and you've only lost 50 pounds? Well, you've lost 50 pounds!

At this step, make sure you understand the process:
    What are you trying to do? Lose fat.
    How do you do that? Burn more calories than you consume.
    And how do you do that?!?! You're on the right website lol

Hey, good luck to you!