Weight loss help

Options
I am giving a strong effort to get to my weight loss goal. I try a lot of diets. When I eat low carb I usually feel like I am eating to much fat and protein. I also walk a lot and bike. I usually walk on a treadmill or bike for a long time. Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong? I try to eat healthy also.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit. Accurately and honestly log all your calories in, using a food scale for solids & accurate database entries. Patience & realistic expectations help as well. Aiming for 1-2 pounds a week (depending on how much you need to lose) means 4-8 pounds in a month, yet some weeks you may not lose.

If you go low carb then you must increase protein and/or fat. Yet if you have no medical reason to avoid carbs, keep in mind the level of carbs you eat may impact how you feel but won't impact your weight loss assuming you eat at a deficit.
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My simple advice is, eat the foods you love, in moderation. Restrictive diets and removing entire food groups will generally lead to failure. As the above poster said, log ALL your food and drink accurately using a food scale, measuring cups and accurate database entries. Make sure you set realistic goals. It makes no sense to set a 1200 calorie per day goal if you can't stick to it. You could probably lose eating more, albeit more slowly. Slow, steady and compliant is the road to success. As an example, I love ice cream and have some every day, no way I'm cutting that out of my diet. I have SOME everyday, I just don't eat it ALL everyday. Good luck to you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stop the low carb unless you have been told to do so by a doctor.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Set macros 15c/20p/65f.
  • Jrrichie
    Jrrichie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just turned 46 yesterday.....this is my year to lose the 50+ I have gained in the last 16 years. I feel that putting it out there will hold me accountable. I have the exercise part down pat it is all about the eating.....here is to regaining myself back!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Jrrichie wrote: »
    Just turned 46 yesterday.....this is my year to lose the 50+ I have gained in the last 16 years. I feel that putting it out there will hold me accountable. I have the exercise part down pat it is all about the eating.....here is to regaining myself back!

Hi. My 46th is fast approaching. You CAN do this. Lots of successful 40 somethings here on MFP, older and (hopefully) wiser.
  • Jrrichie
    Jrrichie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Jrrichie wrote: »

Hi. My 46th is fast approaching. You CAN do this. Lots of successful 40 somethings here on MFP, older and (hopefully) wiser.

Thank you for the support. Happy Early Birthday to you.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Green605 wrote: »
    I am giving a strong effort to get to my weight loss goal. I try a lot of diets. When I eat low carb I usually feel like I am eating to much fat and protein. I also walk a lot and bike. I usually walk on a treadmill or bike for a long time. Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong? I try to eat healthy also.

Log all of your food on in your food diary (and weigh and measure your food). Eat at or just below your calorie goal. Find exercise that you enjoy doing and do it 3-5 times a week. Eat back your exercise calories. Be patient and give it time.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Consuming too much. No other way...
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    What you are doing wrong is focusing on "dieting" When you say you're on a diet, it tends to be a short term quick fix. Re-wire yourself to make a lifestyle change, something you want to stick to going forward. Focus on Calories In/Calories Out. Weigh and measure, be honest, patient and believe in the process.
  • sugargrammy45
    sugargrammy45 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Stop the low carb unless you have been told to do so by a doctor.

ABSOLUTELY! Low carb is not a healthy diet. One may lose weight but without the proper balance of carbs, the weight loss is often from muscle and not fat. I KNOW! I did the same thing. Lost a lot of weight but little did we know at the time that I had serious heart disease and eating very low carb placed a horrible fate on my heart. The healthiest way to lose weight is to have a balance of nutrients, carbs, protein, fats, etc. See a nutritionist . . . go to free classes at a hospital . . . talk to a dietary Life Coach. Please do not assume because someone else said a diet works that it will. It's not the diet that works, it's our discipline. Praying for you . . .
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You may be pushing too hard without knowing what is supposed to work and why, and how to tell if it works or not. "Diets" generally don't work - you may lose a few punds, if you can stick to it, but you'll regain when you go off it. Even if you are eating low carb, you still have to monitor your calorie intake. Use your food diary and hit your calorie goal. What things "feel" like, aren't always true. Exercise is good for you, but you can't outrun a bad diet. There is no need to "try", just find out what constitutes a good diet, find a way of eating that you like, and eat like that. Healthy diets usually have plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, eggs and dairy, nuts and seeds, fish and meat, butter and oils, all in good proprortion and proper amounts. If you can cook, do that.