Hormonal HELP!!!

Options
I am 48 and for the first time in 9 years SERIOUSLY struggling!!! It's those damn hormones!!! Gone from 133lbs to 151lbs in a year!!! Not eaten much more but once a lb is added it just won't bloody budge!!! I was 147 last week and then went on holiday!!! EEEEEK!!! Now stressed and fed up again!!! Anyways I'd love some new friends who are going through the same so that we can help each other!!!

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what you need to maintain has changed. Recalculate maintenance calories and you should stop gaining.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm in same boat as you! I'm 44 and have gained 20 lbs in the last 2 years. I've tried weight watchers and other methods but just keep losing & gaining same 3 lbs. I truly feel its hormones and have 2 well check visits scheduled with my dr this month. I've recently come back to MFP just to help me track & considering getting help from a nutritionist as well. Please feel free to add me so that we can support each other.
  • Pathmonkey
    Pathmonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Estrogen helps the body break down fat so when we age the declining levels of this important hormone makes losing difficult and gaining easy..... especially around the middle unfortunately, so you're not wrong.... the declining hormone could be a huge part of your struggle. I'm on an 'anti-Estrogen' drug (for lack of a better term) as part of on going breast cancer treatment. This pill that saves me takes my levels to an all time low. For three years I ate clean, low fat etc... and workout 5 days a week, including weights. My weight was basically the same or gained here and there... talk about frustrating, I should have weighed 10 labs by now!!! FINALLY in January I found the Palo lifestyle/eating, not a diet. I have dropped 19.5 lbs since January 7 (7.5 labs in the first week)and am making steady loss at 1-2 lbs a week. It's like a miracle... never hungry, feel SO much better, no more ulcerative colitis or acid reflux... gone!.... energy up the wazoo! Takes dedication as you cut all wheat, processed food and sugar. Crabs are kept low. I'm so much happier and well on my way to my goal. Check out 'Marksdailyapple. Com" and hit the 'start here' tab... educate yourself before jumping in, it's not complicated but reading up is necessary. Oh and my most recent blood test came back as "perfect" (doc's words). This way of eating seems very counter intuitive as you eat high fats (no canola or veg oil only healthy fats)... bacon? No problem! Eggs, eat as many as you want!. It is so worth checking out.... it's the ONLY thing that has brought my weight down and health back after trying EVERYTHING, including 7 months vegan. Check it out, worth a look. Much luck on your journey! :)