Period weight gain :( 6 lbs

Options
So I was feeling so good and during like 2nd day of my period my boobs got huge feeling and I went up 6 whole pounds! Is it from my period since it all gained not before but during my period? I have been exercising more too! It's been a full week of pre period stuff and then rn I'm on my 6th day of this period. And the weight is still creeping up at the 6 pound weight gain. I just thought it was weird instead of before weight gain it happened in middle or start

Replies

• Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's water retention. Everyone bloats up a bit during their cycle, and extra exercise will also cause you to retain more water. Keep drinking water (counter-intuitive, I know) and it'll all work itself out. Your weight fluctuates a ton on any given day (some people see variances of 5-10 pounds!), so don't stress yourself too much about it.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It happens. You know it's not fat. It'll go away.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry just weigh yourself after I gain 5-9 lbs during my period. I usually wait to weigh after because I know I'll panic lol.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to hit your high weight point at the beginning of your period rather than leading up to it. (Yes I think day 2 is early enough to be called the beginning. )

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters
  • rachelli342
    rachelli342 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank god I am not the only one!!! This is happening to me too and because of it I have lost a ton of motivation for staying away from sweets. For me (even though it is hard for me to reconcile in my head) I know my weight fluctuates on a monthly cycle and my period is always the worst time. A little hiccup on the way to a healthier, more energetic you!!
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Turn it on its head - it is motivation TO stay away from sweets! You want to see that lovely big dip back down whe it all goes and not keep any of it from over-indulging. Think how you feel seeing the scales at that weight and know you don't want them to stay there
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Sodium is my enemy during TOM. As long as I don't eat a lot of sodium (such as eating at restaurants) then I'm generally good. If I have too much sodium over the recommended amount then I can expect at least a 5 lb water weight gain. So I drink lots of water, keep sodium at an acceptable level and exercise. With that I generally don't gain more than 1-2 lbs.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm on my TOM currently, my weight hasn't changed in a few days (maintaining despite eating in a deficit) which for me is a good sign that I will lose 1-2lbs when TOM is over. I can gain 2-3lbs easily. Hang in there, drink lots of water, the extra weight should disappear the week after.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I typically gain 7 lbs. It goes away for me in the middle of my cycle. Nothing to be alarmed about :)