Need help getting back to training after being sick....

Options
Sweet13_Princess
Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
edited March 2016 in Motivation and Support
So, I ended up with a terrible bout of the flu two weeks ago, which the flu shot apparently didn't cover. I missed three days of work and was sick for about five days and had to go to the doctor's to get medicine and an inhaler for the cough.

Fast forward... two weeks later, I'm just starting to count my calories again, but I just can't bring myself to get back on the treadmill for my 5K training. The cough is at a minimum, but I feel SOOO tired. I just feel like falling asleep on the couch when I get home from school (I'm a teacher). I also can't workout until my 2 year old goes to bed... which means I'm REALLY tired by then. Any suggestions on how to get back into the swing of things? I really want to keep dropping the weight AND not come in last for the 5K in three weeks. I also don't want to lose the training I did so far (I got up to 20 minutes/1 mile).

Shannon

Replies

• emilyb117
    emilyb117 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's always hard to get back into things after being sick.
    How is your nutrition? Are you eating well and eating enough to give you energy? Maybe add a few extra complex carbs in about 1-2 hours before you intend to workout?

Also, I would say just commit yourself to at least changing into your gym clothes and stepping on the treadmill, then start small-maybe half the time you used to run. That way, once you're on the treadmill, you will start to get in the same mindset you had before getting sick. It's all about taking that first step. You can do it!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Thanks, Emily! I did what you recommended and once I got myself on the treadmill, I ended up going longer than I went before I got ill. It was a little tougher towards the end, had to push myself. I think I lost some of the conditioning while I was ill, but I felt proud of myself for getting back on the treadmill and my 5K training program!

Shannon
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I walked today for 30 minutes. I was trying for 40 but just too tired. Maybe we should cut ourselves some slack and wait until our energy returns. Hope you feel better soon! Walking was exhausting. Not even sure it was a good idea after being so sick.
  • Sironsong
    Sironsong Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a couch to 5k program Monday. I also have a little guy (just turned 4) and have limited time to work out. I hope you're getting back into the swing of things now - I know it's hard! But we can do this! :)
  • rebeccamurphy12979
    rebeccamurphy12979 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Shannon, I am in similar straits. I had a bad cold and even though my symptoms are breaking up I feel exhausted. I just try to get extra sleep, take vitamins, and push myself when I can because I always feel better emotionally when I can exercise. I had been doing a fairly low carb diet, because that works for my particular situation, but went back to just a slight calorie deficit when I was sick and included a few more carbs for energy. Hope you are feeling better and back on track soon.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Thanks! I'm feeling much better after the Easter holiday, although I'm sure all of the goodies made me pack a pound or two back on. I'm a teacher, so I just went back to work today, so it makes it easier for me to watch what I eat and start counting the calories again! I've been doing really well since January, even given my illness.... so I felt I deserved the holiday weekend to indulge a bit. Looking forward to working out tonight. :-) My 5k is on April 10th. I know I won't be as trained for it as I'd like, but I'll be happy so long as I don't come in dead last!

Shannon