Shoes for plantar fasciitis

Options
Hey guys! I have been diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis, and its not healing well at all. My doc mentioned surgery yesterday when I was there for a cortisone shot. He said he will do one more shot, and if that doesn't work, then its surgery.

Anyway, I am heavy, I don't run but i do walk. I wanted to see if you guys have recommendations on shoes. Would love to know your thoughts.

Thanks! B)

Replies

• bjaneb
    bjaneb Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wear the Sketcher shapeups. I walk for my job all day and they have really helped with the foot pain. I have noticed since I have dropped some weight that the pain is not as severe.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have had a number of food issues, including a Morton's Neuroma that had to be treated with alcohol injections. My podiatrist recommends Sanita and Dansko clogs and for activity New Balance and Adidas.
  • iangelbailey10
    iangelbailey10 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have this as well. Major big thing is never ever go barefoot or wear flip flops.... ever :neutral: I wear only shoes with adequate arch support. I bought the inserts that my podiatrist recommended, and do not wear tennis shoes without them if I am going to be walking. For sandals I wear crocs. They have a lot of support, and have a bunch of cute designs. Also, if you get them on sale they are not that bad price wise. Surgery is an absolute last resort. My doctor told me that most the time that surgery doesn't work. She recommended losing weight, stretching, and proper shoes/inserts. My feet have improved drastically since I stopped going barefoot, stopped wearing flip flops, and I no longer wear heels (but my boyfriend doesn't mind b/c they made me taller than him anyway.. so he wasn't a fan lol). Also, doing the stretching exercises they recommend at least once a day. If I wake up and my feet feel tight I do the stretches before I get out of bed. Another thing... I have been trying to drink more water for the last 23 days, and I have barely had any pain since I have been drinking more water. Hope things helps!
  • missbossypants
    missbossypants Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Go to a podiatrist or Chiropractor and get fitted for custom orthotics, and wear them in every pair of shoes you wear! For inside the house, and when I feel like a sandal, Birkenstocks all the way! My feet sigh when I put them on - they are sooooo comfortable! These options are not cheap, but are well worth it!
  • annaashworth2688
    annaashworth2688 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I suffer from some heel pain too and it comes back when I wear sandals or go bare foot. I wear flats at work with gel pads stuck in the heels. I have inserts I put in any of my boots and try Fitflops for sandals, they are supportive and very comfortable. My trainers for the gym are ok as they are, they are getting old now and I can't even remember the brand! They have a good bridge support.
    Also, my sister is on her feet all day at work and she wears the sketchers with memory foam in (same as mentioned above I think?)

Mine started with a trip to London spent walking everywhere for 4 days (in rubbish trainers) and we are off to Orlando soon for our holidays (doesn't happen often being from the UK, mega excited!!)...I am definitely wearing trainers in the parks! It is just not worth it, nor the sunburn on my feet!

Good luck
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I just got some Asics that I find really comfortable for working out. For everyday, especially for summer, look into Vionic Orthaheel. I've pretty much replaced all of my shoes with those and credit them (and weight loss) for getting my p.f. under control. I've found great deals for them on ebay. Cobb Hill (a New Balance brand) is also good.
  • michelleridenour
    michelleridenour Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Orthodics, wear them all the time, they worked wonders for my feet, that and stretches. Lots and lots of stretches. I know someone who had surgery and it actually made her foot problems worse so I would so that as an absolute last resorts. For shoes my favorite are Asics and during the summer I wear Birkenstocks.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Birkenstocks saved me! I had really bad plantar fasciitis and couldn't even walk a few feet without being in pain. I would wear Birkenstocks all the time. Even if I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom I would slip them on. They helped immensely.
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    +1 for arch inserts.

I bought mine "off the peg" in a pharmacy and had them checked by my podiatrist and she says they are fine. Easy to slip in and out of whatever shoes/trainers I'm wearing. I always wear them, especially when on one of my very brisk walks either outside or on the treadmill. Feels awful without them tbh.

I had awful plantar fasciitis last year and besides the inserts, first thing on getting up (when it's the worst because the band tightens up overnight) was to have a good old roll around backwards and forwards, side to side with a golf or tennis ball on the soles of my feet.
    Then get a belt and loop this under the foot, hold on to each end, pull your leg up in front of you and pull and s-t-r-e-t-c-h to give the Achilles a bit of a stretch too.

Worked a treat!

I would be wary of surgery, it's not a 100% given cure and I don't think I, personally, would fancy the recovery too much from that either!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    See a podiatrist, ideally one who deals with runners. I got custom orthotics and wear a boot at night and my pain (I was hobbling about before) is gone. The boot really helps. I couldn't do anti inflammatories or anything bc I was pregnant and now nursing, so just the orthotics and boot helped, and I'm still pain free after increasing my running to 15-20 miles a week.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Podiatrist, Pedeorthist, or Shoe Fitter go find one and get fitted.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I helped get mine under control by doing pretty much all that's been listed above:

1. never go barefoot
    2. if you need to wear sandals, wear supportive ones. I wear fitflops, but only around the house.
    3. Get arch supports for sneakers
    4. stretch your foot before putting weight on it, and then throughout the day.
    5. When I have a bad flare up, I ice for 20 mins to help reduce the inflammation.
    6. my physical therapist MIL suggested getting a plastic water bottle, fill with water, freeze, and then roll my foot over it nightly. I haven't done that, but it's a good thing to try.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Getting fitted for the correct shoe is what helped me. Well that an physical therapy. Turns out I needed a stability shoe since I had narrow/flat feet and I tend to pronate.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I suffered with this years ago when waitressing, the only thing that helped was massaging/ stretching the tendon for a few minutes three times a day for a month. Pull up your big toe, the tendon will pop out, you can stretch this with regular manipulation. My mum uses an orthopoedic ball which is like a tennis ball with spikes which is good for minor relief too.
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome, thank you all for taking the time to make a recommendation. For those of you who wear Birks, what kind do you wear? I am def going to get some inserts and do some stretching exercises that were recommended to me, and I am looking at some birks for around the house so I don't go barefoot anymore.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Appropriate, well-fitting shoes are helpful, but shoe inserts are likely more important over time. Whether that's something like a custom orthotic or an OTC product such as Superfeet, will depend on your individual situation, but the appropriate insert can play a big role in treating the condition.
  • staciw
    staciw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was scheduled for surgery for the same reason. Had maxed out on my cortisone injections (in the bottom of the heel holy crap). These are the must dos if it has gotten to that point:
    1. Avoid surgery at all costs
    2. Never ever. Ever go barefoot. Ever. I didn't even in the shower.
    3. Pay the money for the custom inserts that your podiatrist makes. Even if it's $300. Not optional
    4. No crap shoes. At all. Never. Even to church. No heels, no cute flats.
    5. Once you get your inserts, wear them every second that you are vertical
    6. Find a massage therapist who knows what they are doing with plantar fasciitis. It took 7 months of painful sessions, but she broke it up and it disappeared eventually. This was the key for me in addition to all of the above. Call around and find someone. It took ten minutes per foot per session and a lot of silent tears down my cheeks, but it worked.
    7. Lose weight. Being overweight is a major contributor. Even 10 pounds will make a big difference.
    8. Ice. Frozen golf balls hurt like the devil, but can help the swelling.
    9. Anti inflammatory pain med if you can. Aleve. Advil.
    10. Keep walking. It stretches those calves, which stretches that tendon, which hurts terribly but is a good thing.

It takes time. I literally had to crawl to my car from the grocery store front door one day it was so bad. It was humiliating. I limped for months. The massage therapy and losing some weight finally gave me hope. Develop a plan and stick to it.