30 Day Shred help!!!

Options
Questions for all my fellow shredder's out there.
I plan on starting up again and thinking about using my 5lbs this time around (typically use 3lbs) what size wt do others typically use??

Also, not looking forward to doing this every day. One rest day would be nice but then I feel it defeats the purpose a bit. Does anyone takes a rest day and if so do you count it or not??

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I believe Jillian Michaels has said she intended for people to take rest days during the routine and never intended for people to do it 30 days straight. After all, rest days are when your body does all of the important repair and rebuilding work.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, rest days are very important.
  • drcrusher
    drcrusher Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm doing this as well! I take a rest day if my muscles hurt enough that walking up and down stairs is difficult! But if I feel fine I don't take the day off. I think it's a good idea to listen to your body but stay honest with yourself :)

I use 5lb and 8lb weights. Mostly 5 but the 8 when I want more of a challenge or can easily get through the routine with the lighter ones.
  • jmapkob
    jmapkob Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    At a bare minimum, I'd take a day in between each session, leaving you with a three-day A week and a four-day B week. All her well-planned programs involve muscle rotations and programmed rest so that each muscle group gets at least 24-48 hours between workouts. You might wish to alternate it with a cardio day, if you are worried about taking too many rest days - but don't overdo that, either.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    When I did the Shred, I did 30 days straight, except, taking one rest day, between the levels...lost 12 pounds, and 22 inches (I was 50 at the time). Fives are good, but try 8s for any back and shoulder moves. While rest days are important, the way this workout is laid out and the light weights used, unless your body is telling you otherwise, a rest day is not required--otherwise, it would be every other day...the 60 day shred. Good luck to you--and listen to your body!
  • chaychay48
    chaychay48 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I own weights in 3, 5, 8, and 10 pound intervals and tend to use all of them throughout the work out depending on the moves.
  • staciw
    staciw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday and was wondering the same thing about rest days. My dog chewed up one of my hand weights (grrrr) so I used large jars of applesauce yesterday! Wasn't enough. Planning to buy some 5's today.
  • Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    @staciw I started today!! I created another thread looking for 30 DS buddies if you want to join us :)
  • divamomof2
    divamomof2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love 30 Day Shred. I'm up for the challenge. Starting today
  • Katie_Y89
    Options
    @divamomof2 I started a 30 day shred thread called 30 day shred buddies wanted! Please feel free to join!!
  • nlwilliams60
    nlwilliams60 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did it for 10 days straight and my knees were killing me. I lost inches but not weight. This was years ago. It's gathering dust. Julian has some killer work outs but her voice annoys me.
  • Katie_Y89
    Options
    @nlwilliams60 Jillian is sooooo annoying and very arrogant in ripped in 30. I love that DVD but can't make it past level 2 because she is such a jerk in it
  • carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have taken rest days as necessary because of life or illness but did not count them as workout days. Example I started on Mar 1st and today I completed day 24. So there have been 4 days I couldn't.
  • marissarekush
    marissarekush Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use weights from 3-8lbs depending on the exercise. My shoulders are weak and it hurts way to much to use 8 so I generally use lower.

I do the 30 day shred on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. Cardio Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I work 10hrs every second Saturday so that is my rest day. And on the Saturdays off I usually do something light (like a 30 min run or strength circuit).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I did it for 10 days straight and my knees were killing me. I lost inches but not weight. This was years ago. It's gathering dust. Julian has some killer work outs but her voice annoys me.

Knee problems are common with 30 DS:

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00127RAJY/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0
  • Amanda_Bullock120
    Amanda_Bullock120 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started the 30ds today. I have done it before with great results. I lost many inches no so many pounds.

I use 5 and 8 pound weights, and I have read that Jillian said there should be rest days, so take my rest days on Sunday.

I have also read that knee problems are common. I noticed that my knees would ache when I did squats, and found out that it was from doing pushups on my knees.. sounds crazy..

And for those who do not have the 30 day shred, you can find levels 1 and 2 on youtube
    Feel free to send me a FR

Good luck everyone! :)