Possible to have NO metabolism????

Options
I am really getting stumped - and a little angry to say the least. I am logging calories/fat/carb/protein etc. and water EVERY day. I am doing 45- 60 minutes cardio every day but one, and weights workout WITH trainer every other day. My weight stayed the same for months, but now it's going up. 7 pounds!!!!! What gives??
I am 52, post-menopausal ( surgical) and am wondering if this spread will never stop. It's not like I am going to stop the healthy eating/fitness routine, but what could I be doing that is making the scale move in the other direction? PLEASE don't say I'm building muscle. If I were chiseled, I might agree, but this just seems to be going nowhere!! My clothes are fitting differenly but that change happened months ago - not going up or down in size. I am just stuck.
I know that doing this is not an option - not like I am going to stop living the healthy life, but wouldn't I start seeing results in the other direction.
Is it possible to have no metabolism at all?????

Thanks for your input everyone
Janice:sad: :mad:

Replies

• jstrohmeier
    Options
    I am really getting stumped - and a little angry to say the least. I am logging calories/fat/carb/protein etc. and water EVERY day. I am doing 45- 60 minutes cardio every day but one, and weights workout WITH trainer every other day. My weight stayed the same for months, but now it's going up. 7 pounds!!!!! What gives??
    I am 52, post-menopausal ( surgical) and am wondering if this spread will never stop. It's not like I am going to stop the healthy eating/fitness routine, but what could I be doing that is making the scale move in the other direction? PLEASE don't say I'm building muscle. If I were chiseled, I might agree, but this just seems to be going nowhere!! My clothes are fitting differenly but that change happened months ago - not going up or down in size. I am just stuck.
    I know that doing this is not an option - not like I am going to stop living the healthy life, but wouldn't I start seeing results in the other direction.
    Is it possible to have no metabolism at all?????

Thanks for your input everyone
    Janice:sad: :mad:
  • mandersen16
    Options
    Since you are working with a trainer already, I wouldn't hesitate to ask if they have any suggestions. Sometimes people in those roles have been through healthy eating classes too and could look over what you've been eating and stuff. How often do you eat? If you're not already, it's good to spread your meals out throughout the whole day. It also probably depends on what you are eating to hit your calories too.
  • kaanelalani
    kaanelalani Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am no expert. I would consult your doctor. Being post menopause...your hormones can be out of wack. I don't know, but I would imagine that the lack of wt loss might lead to a little stress and depression which will add to the problem.
    My prayers are with you...keep your head up!:flowerforyou:
  • AugustBaby1973
    Options
    Don't dispair! :happy: If you're post menopausal, it takes even more effort to lose weight. I know...I'm 35 years old and have gone through surgical menopause---and that wasn't fun! :ohwell: The hormone levels in your body have thrown everything out of whack...and your weight will be a real issue! Now, you're doing cardiovascular exercise AND weight training. It could be that you're toning up your muscles--and remember, muscle weighs more than fat! So instead of looking at the POUNDS you've gained, take a peek at how your clothes are fitting! Are they loose now that you've started working out? Do you notice any difference in your waist and thighs...chest and arms? You'll be just fine! Keep up the good work!! :flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Janice, what kind of cardio are you doing? Is it the same everyday? If so try changing it. Our bodies get use to the same thing so we need to shock them sometimes.
    I know it gets frustrating but keep going. It's a slow process sometimes but worth it in the end.
    Kelly
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    From your post, it sounds like you are doing everything right.

One thing that i have heard on MFP, is that with all your workouts, you could be transforming your fat into muscle. So if you look only at your scale it would seem that there is not much progress, but in fact your are much better off and healthier.

As such your overall weight may be unchanged, but the make-up of your body is changing (i.e., fat is being replaced by muscle). Do you feel stronger (lifting more weights, longer endurance, etc)?

Have you noticed any changes in your body shape? Do your clothes still fit you? Have your measured yourself?

Please do not give up on your healthy lifestyle!
    cheers,
    Peter
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Dear Janice,

I am sure that there are more learned responses that will be coming in but I just wanted to respond with an "I feel your pain".

Three years ago I decided to eliminate all processed sugar from my diet. I was not fanatical on things like a tsp. of catsup but you know, cookies, cakes, sweets, soda, etc. Initially I did lose weight but very slowly, about 8-10 pounds per year.

This is such a slow and discouraging way to lose weight and at times I am tempted to just give it up but then I remember that all of the other "diets" I tried failed too. My typical patters would be to lose weight for the the first 12 weeks but then after that platue or even gain weight despite the reduced calories and exercise. I too, felt I had no metabolism.

So, I guess I would just encourage you, as I need to do myself (I am 44) to eat really healthy. Whole grains, no processed junk, lots of water, avoid "diet" or "no-sugar" foods. Eat simply and exercise.

I still have another 30 pounds to go and the thought that it could take years for it to come off is so discouraging but what are my choices?

The only other thing I might suggest is to seek medical help for a complete blood panel work up including checking your hormones. Estrogen plays a huge role in the body functioning properly and if you had an ovo-hysterectomy you may need some replacement therapy. Also, ask them to do thyroid panel, just in case. It is always best to rule out the factors that you cannot control so that what you can control is more effective.

Good Luck,
    DeeDee
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    :explode: Janice: I'm 52 also and having the same problems. For the last year or so, I've been exercising and eating right and have lost hardly any weight. I've gone to the dr, everything is fine. Well if you eat right and exercise, you should lose weight. My friends say, do more cardio; exercise longer. None of that has worked yet.

What is a girl to do???
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Could some of you ladies have a thyroid problem? My mother in law does and her doctor gave her some meds for it and she started losing like crazy!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I also think it's time to see your doctor. See what your hormones are doing, see what your T3 and T4 levels are.

I won't tell you that you're gaining muscle, because the chance of putting on 7 lbs of muscle in less than a year for a woman is slim with EXTRA calories. If you're in a caloric deficit, it's really not possible. You're looking at the possibility of maybe 1-2 lbs over a year if you happen to have regular free days. However, you can gain non-muscle, non-fat weight. When you exercise vigorously, you use up stored sugar and the water it binds to. When you eat, your body will replenish that and add a little more to be better prepared for the next session.

Fortunately, it's not possible to not have a metabolism while you're still alive. Metabolism is actually all the chemical processes that are going on all over the body, so you still have one hehe :wink:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yes, its possible to have Metabolic resistance!!

You can turn it around though..................

Read these articles..............

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/553589

http://www.newportschools.com/lowcarb/metabolically_resistant.htm

Good book to invest in reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Metabolic-Syndrome-Program-Disease-Resistance/dp/0470838264
  • randierenee
    Options
    Something to check out. My husband is 28 and for the last 11 years he had the same issue workout 4-6 times a week plusa daily routine and kept gaining weight. Doctor after doctor said the same thing just keep working out. Finally a doctor checked his thyroid, and sure enough he was hypothyroid and had papillary thyroid cancer. Now I'm not saying thats what it is for you, but your thyroid can screw up alot of things in your body... your weight is a major one.

You can have a very simple blood test to check your thyroid function. and if you are thinking "my doctor would have recommended it it I should have it done", my husband saw 4 different doctors over 11 years before number 5 checked for it.

God bless,

Randie
  • jstrohmeier
    Options
    Gosh - Thanks to all of you who responded. I actually wasn;t sure how to check the boards which is why I never responded until now!! Newbies - what should they do with us huh?

Thank you ALL for your input and suggestions.

In response to the general question - I have stopped looking at the scale. Yes I DO feel stronger in my body, my arms, my neck and shoulders, my back, and my legs too. Clothes are fitting the same as before the plateau. In sum - I am continuing this path since the other one I was one was sooo bad for me. I'd rather live this healthy way than go back to who/what I was.

My doc checked the thyroid and all is ok. My (synthetic) hormone levels are normal he says to my age and ovary-less situation. It is frustrating as you-know-what but this is not an option.

I switch cardio up between interval elliptical and treadmill, rowing machine, boxing bag, and race-walking. I am starting swimming this month. It all gets frustrating but not enough to give it up.

I will say thought that since I last visited these boards, I have run 3 5Ks and one 10K!!! Next weekend, I am in another 5K in Brenham,Tx. After 10 knee surgeries and a total replacement in 2007 - life is looking real good.
    Thanks again all. Now that I know how to find my posts, I'll be a frequent flyer with y'all.
  • Pattycakes69
    Options
    I am 43 and having the same problem and I also retain water like an elephant. I have been stuck at 147 and I am 5'7". I have no metabolism. I have to eat berries and nuts to stay at this weight. The only time I weighed less was when I was eating nuts carrots and veggies through a rough time on nerves. I am riding, hiking, biking to work and I have worked at a Co-op most of my adulthood, so I eat very healthy... and pissed off about how hard I work to keep this size.
    I am also on a MyFitness Pal 1200 calorie diet .
    I was so upset today about my energy level and mood swings(I am already on progestrone for lack of ...a number of reasons) so i decided to reserch metabolisim
    Today~ I read an article in Prevention Magazine about Metabolism B people. Diane Kress promises results for folks like us. comes with 21 free trial. Im going to check it out!?

That is also how I found you today by looking for answers and any other write ups about metabolism B. Maybe this will help ~patty
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    You don't say how much weight you think you need to lose, nor how much you have been eating.

Are you measuring and logging everything you eat? If not, if you are just sort of guessing - it's very common to underestimate calorie intake. If you are making a couple mistakes a day in accuracy, that can add up to weight gain very quickly. 500 calories a day over the course of a week is one extra pound on your body. That's only a couple cookies, an extra latte, more fries, a piece of toast with peanut butter...you get the idea.

Here: this will help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets