Metabolic Damage?

Options
Miss_curvy
Miss_curvy Posts: 77 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, Well I study nutrition but basically i'm writing here because in need some help and another opinions.

I've lost weight since 4 years ago (85 lb) with a low carb diet before studied nutrition career, then I started eating more carbs and gained weight.

In consequence I started a vicious cycle of no eating and binging and gained 20 lb and I went to a nutritionist ( i know , i feel like i'm dumb and don't know anything ) and she gave me this diet:

After wake up:
5 almonds
Natural Hibiscus Tea

Breakfast:

3 eggwhites with spinach
Light jello
half tortilla

Snack 1:
jicama and cucumber
1 apple

lunch:

120 g of fish or chicken
green free veggies to make a salad
light jello

snack 2:

1 can of tuna

dinner:

120 g of fish or chicken
light jello

And OK, I went for help desperately and then follow this plan for 3 weeks and still no losing weight, I workout 3 times per week strenght training, 2 hours of steady state cardio daily and sincerely I'm not seeing any results on the scale.

I feel stressed and binging all the time last week and feel moody.

I've been reading about metabolic damage and I think i'm suffering this weightloss resistance and I seriously need another advice to fix this mess...

If anyone could help and give me some advice (expert or experience) I will be glad forever!

I just don't know how to increase my calories and carbs without gaining more weight.

Thanks for reading !!

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    In the end, weightloss is all about a calorie deficit. Even eating healthy can make you gain weight if you aren't tracking calories. Get a food scale, weigh all solids and measure liquids, wait a few weeks, then reassess.

And no, it isn't metabolic damage. It's more likely to be a combination of eating more than you think and water retention from strength training. Hard to say without additional info.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How many calories is that? It seems like it would be hard to work out for two hours eating like that! Add some fats.

Since the jello has no nutritional value, I am not sure why you would eat it so often!

Trying to eat this everyday would make anyone grumpy.
  • Miss_curvy
    Options
    900-1000 calories and like 30 grams of carbs, yes i feel stressed all the time and seeing no progress!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out this before thinking you've damaged your metabolism.

20qgcdudbt4a.jpg
  • nayabs86
    nayabs86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    First of all, as it's already been quoted above, weight loss isn't a very drastic phenomena and shouldn't be either. Having said that seeing weekly change on the scale or change in BCA should be a true indicator of progress.

Now, metabolic damage is the most common state that most of 'dieters' find themselves in.. This occurs because you train your body to survive on that calorie deficit. Here's a way out..

Firsrly, your calory deficit cycle should not start lesser than 400-500 kcal deficit. Secondly, you need to throw in high intensity workouts. Failing to do so is always gonna stall the metabolism. Now, increase the calorie intake by 100-200 every week till the time you reach your TDEE. This increase in calorie should be in fats and proteins, not carbs.. This process is called reverse dieting. Once you reach the TDEE phase, start again with the deficit state..

Hope this helps..

Cheers !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Miss_curvy wrote: »
    Hi, Well I study nutrition but basically i'm writing here because in need some help and another opinions.

I've lost weight since 4 years ago (85 lb) with a low carb diet before studied nutrition career, then I started eating more carbs and gained weight.

In consequence I started a vicious cycle of no eating and binging and gained 20 lb and I went to a nutritionist ( i know , i feel like i'm dumb and don't know anything ) and she gave me this diet:

After wake up:
    5 almonds
    Natural Hibiscus Tea

Breakfast:

3 eggwhites with spinach
    Light jello
    half tortilla

Snack 1:
    jicama and cucumber
    1 apple

lunch:

120 g of fish or chicken
    light jello

snack 2:

1 can of tuna

dinner:

120 g of fish or chicken
    light jello

And OK, I went for help desperately and then follow this plan for 3 weeks and still no losing weight, I workout 3 times per week strenght training, 2 hours of steady state cardio daily and sincerely I'm not seeing any results on the scale.

I feel stressed and binging all the time last week and feel moody.

I've been reading about metabolic damage and I think i'm suffering this weightloss resistance and I seriously need another advice to fix this mess...

If anyone could help and give me some advice (expert or experience) I will be glad forever!

I just don't know how to increase my calories and carbs without gaining more weight.

Thanks for reading !!
    That looks like under 1000 calories. And if you're exercising, then you're in another high deficit. The body is adept at conserving energy, so it's not metabolic damage per se, but homestasis that you're probably experiencing. Eating too little, though it sounds like you'll lose more weight, may sound logical, but the body doesn't use fuel like a car does.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Miss_curvy
    Options
    But I have to restart with my normal BMR or the TDEE?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest, what are your current stats?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Bump carbs up to 72 grams/day. :)
  • Miss_curvy
    Options
    207 lb , 5´5"
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    something's not adding up here. if you ate that amount of food for real, and we're talking about sugar free jello and no dressing, either you're leaving something out of your food list (salad dressing? cooking the fish/chicken in oil you don't measure?) or you have a medical issue like a thyroid problem. that would be uncommon.

most people don't have a medical issue, but you could. have you seen a doctor recently?

that's a pretty drastic and unhealthy diet for someone who works out, with calories so low as to be unhealthy unless you're bedridden, and btw... lots of people lose weight without jello :D
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Metabolisms don't break easily. Stop all the claptrap and eat at a consistent modest deficit.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Wow, no wonder you're stressed and binging. That diet looks incredibly deprived. Where's the fat? Where are the nutrients? (For one thing, why remove the egg yolks?)

Also, if you struggle with binging, you should avoid sweet, processed, and hyperpalatable foods (like artificially flavored jello).

I'd say get back to low carb and eat real, unprocessed food. If you could get into ketosis and stay there, it will stabilize your appetite and mood. Also, stay away completely from super sweet or artificially flavored addictive foods that overstimulate the natural reward pathways in your brain. It will take time for those pathways become sensitive to more natural rewards. Also, it will take time to heal metabolic damage (if you have some from binging on carbs). Don't stress the weight loss at first, but it will become effortless as you nourish your body and your appetite naturally falls into normal range.

Remember fat is your friend. Fat is a satisfying and metabolically healthy source of calories :) Fat doesn't make you fat! Cutting out the fat is going to hurt you more.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What's the deal with all the jello? And why virtually no fats? Agree this looks too restrictive and deficient in calories. A certified degreed nutritionist came up with this menu? And define "binging all the time"...this may be why you aren't losing?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    What's the deal with all the jello? And why virtually no fats? Agree this looks too restrictive and deficient in calories. A certified degreed nutritionist came up with this menu? And define "binging all the time"...this may be why you aren't losing?

Virtually anyone can take a handful of online courses and call themselves a nutritionist. No degree is required. If you want help with your diet, a registered dietitian is the way to go -- they will have a degree.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    OMG that would be an awful way to live.. not only is that hardly any food, but the same damn thing every day?!? No thank you! No wonder your stressed!
  • eccentric88
    eccentric88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi;
    I have a metabolic condition and have experienced that if I do not eat enough carbs I binge esp on sugar...Suggestion of 3 half cup servings of carbs per meal..I also suggest a few bits of starch with snacks or snack with carbs like bean dip..low fat homemade of course. This regime was suggested via a dietitian, do not exceed the amount of carbs suggested max up to one cup. Ur dietary example is not balanced eg carb, veg, fruit and protein at each main meal.
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The only way to fix this is to come to my house and let me cook for you and feed you. If not Read up on Intermittent Fasting. You should try it but for god sakes woman! eat some FAT! you should up your calories in my opinion.

I too am guilty of eating too few calories but trust me that doesnt last too long since my body usually tells me it is starved or I start feeling crappy. How you followed that diet for so long I will never know.

Si tienes hambre chica pues come
  • blewbell
    blewbell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree - Where's the fat?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You dont need a nutritionist, you need a dietitian. Nutritionist means nothing anymore.