Weight loss tricks and tips

Options
What's your number one weight loss secret?

Replies

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Consistency.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Make sure calories burned exceeds calorie intake and strictly log everything eaten.
  • GiGiJam80
    GiGiJam80 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a secret ... Just lots of hard work!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Giving up fast food.
  • shoegirll
    shoegirll Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Tracking calorie intake as accurately and consistently as possible.
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Finally realizing that 1-2 pounds per week on average is an amazing rate of weight loss and not thinking it's gonna come off faster than that! :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    No tricks.
    Just weigh, measure, and log everything that you eat and drink, move more and stay with in your calorie allotment for the day. It really works.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Using MFP and Fitbit together. And logging everything accurately. Simple calories in vs calories out.
  • launchpadmkquak
    launchpadmkquak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're looking for specific little tips, not big picture/general kind of tips.

Crystal light and fiber one brownies helped me ween off the sweets. That was a big help for me when I was starting out.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    No secrets, work out and watch my calorie intake.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I feel like the people saying "no tricks, I just ate less and moved more!" are being a little disingenuous. While there's no "secret trick" to make the pounds melt, I'm 100% sure everyone who's tried to lose weight has learned something that made it a bit easier, even though it all boils down to that.

For me it was to pre-portion my food before I ate ANYTHING. That way I didn't overeat - or if I did end up eating two portions, I knew exactly how much I was eating.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OK, here's one of my "secrets" aside from the obvious answer of log and track accurately:

Exercise. A lot. It's much easier to be compliant with your calorie budget when you've got 500+ kcal to add.
  • ughbrit
    ughbrit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Patience & knowing that it's simply just hard work and a lot of effort over a long period of time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    personally, i like to sign up for races. they give me a goal to strive for that is performance based, not based on looks.
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My biggest secret...

There is no good/bad/evil/happy food. They are all just sources of energy. Think of food that way and it makes CI<CO much, much easier.

Oh, and that I can keep on drinking all the Coke Zero I want and it won't change a thing.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Go slow. If you are looking to lose less than 30lbs, considering setting your target at .5lbs/week. Exercise for mood improvement and solid sleep (and a better looking body once the fat melts off). Get adequate protein and stuff yourself with vegetables whenever possible. It should feel practically painless. If it doesn't, you are trying to lose too quickly.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I realized the following I lost and have pretty much maintained within my range for 2 years...took me a year to lose.

1. Eat the foods I love/want/crave in reasonable portions.
    2. realizing no food is "bad"
    3. Logging accurately and consistently using a food scale and correct entries. I often prelog an entire week which leaves me lots of space for changes/adds/deletions.
    4. Fueling my workouts properly (still learning that one a bit)
    5. realizing my goal shouldn't just be scale weight...how I look, feel, clothing size, measurments, bf%, pounds lifted, miles ran/walked/biked and weight are all what I use to measure my success.
    6. not letting the scale dictate my "mood"...see above
    7. eating as much as possible while still losing an appropriate amount of weight and not suffering through hunger when it's not required.
  • cheer4beer
    cheer4beer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same foods over and over. Partly to make sure my logging is accurate and consistant, and partly because I love eating them. I pre-weigh and pack lunches several days out. More variety is something I'll have to work on as I get closer to maintenance but for weight loss, it takes a lot of guess work out.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Not exactly a secret, but it's real eye opener when your 'correct portions' are almost double what they should be. Now that I've been at it a while I only weigh calorie dense foods, but it was oh so helpful in the beginning.

And there is no 'bad' food. I have lost over 50 while eating what I like. I do eat salad because I genuinely like it, but I also eat cake, cookies etc. Had half a pizza last night for dinner because it fit within my calories. Don't confine yourself to 'health' food, it's much easier to stick with it if you still enjoy things. Food is not the enemy, it's a tool.

Exercise helps too, just find something you like to do and stick with that. I don't run because I don't like to, and it's not something I'd continue doing when I am at my goal weight. I walk, bike and hike mostly, and I go canoeing in good weather. These are all things I enjoy and I do them at any weight.

Sorry, that was a lot, but this is what is working for me. Good luck!