question for those who met their goal weight

Options
For those of you who have already met your goal weight, how long did it take you? I'm only asking to get a general idea of what it's like for different people and because it's interesting to hear stories about your journey.

Replies

• jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    2 years, course that was after resetting my goal weight a few times. But yes 2 years is the time I would say it took for my thinking/lifestyle/choices to catch up with my goals. MUCH longer than I thought, but it's been years of trial and error to find what exactly worked for me. Now, the choices that I make ARE me, there is no longer the struggle about what I want to eat/what I should eat/where my calories should be/how much I should be exercising...it's habit and my new lifestyle.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    2 years, course that was after resetting my goal weight a few times. But yes 2 years is the time I would say it took for my thinking/lifestyle/choices to catch up with my goals. MUCH longer than I thought, but it's been years of trial and error to find what exactly worked for me. Now, the choices that I make ARE me, there is no longer the struggle about what I want to eat/what I should eat/where my calories should be/how much I should be exercising...it's habit and my new lifestyle.

Can't wait to be where you are. I'm trying to drop down a few more lbs as I adjust my goal to what I hope to stay after the added water weight that comes when I start adding back calories. I hit my goal in early March but I need that cushion because I really don't want to add back those last hard to lose lbs. I'm really tired of dieting. I really just want to figure out maintenance. Hoping I can just "arrive" soon.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    4 years to lose 173#, went from 313 to 140. I did it slow, staying at 1# loss per week and only changed that to .5 when I had 40# to go (I was beginning to sneak food and not log it). Yes, I could've lost it faster, but I'm quite lazy and really enjoy eating.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    It took me precisely 7 months 19 days, or 33 weeks 2 days, or 233 days, to go from 168 lbs to 110 lbs, which averages 1.75 lbs lost per week. Of course, it was slower (0.5-1lbs) towards the end. It's amazing how fast time flies. As long as you stay focused, you'll reach your goal in no time at all. ^_^
    Maintenance is as awesome as expected. It's the same old stuff, but with room for an extra snack/meal everyday. For me, planning ahead and honest calorie counting have been my biggest keys to success in both weight loss and management, and for maintenance, I am forever thankful for my Fitbit Charge HR.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't reached it yet but I was 2 pounds away at one point...

It took me 1 year to go from 213 to 140. Then 6 months to go from 140 to 132, and I've been hovering at 133-136 since (for almost 2 years now).
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    20 months.
    SW 290 CW 130
    maintenance for 28 months

like neldabg, key for me is my fit bit, the single best motivator that I have, and faithfully logging on MFP
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    About 9 months, I think (42 pounds).
  • LindzMiche
    LindzMiche Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    100 lbs in 12.5 months. I went up about 5 in maintenance.. and stayed there for about 3 years. I'm back down the 5 and a few extra. That down 5 + a few extra has taken me 3 months.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Three years and still working on it because goal keeps changing. But now I'm about 8 pounds away from what will prob be final goal. So I might be looking at 4 years to reach that ultimate goal. Much longer than I expected but I got there in the end. Better than being four years older and STILL fat.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds over three years by counting calories inacurately, and doing some Qi gong, yoga and physio therapist provided body weight exersizes living otherwise a sedentary lifestyle. I maintained within 10 pounds of my goal weight for 5 years. I didn't have a scale or a fitbit. My weigh-ins were rare, at the doctor about 6 months apart. For me its about motivational drive to be lighter and the sincere intention to not overeat. I didn't have a weight problem until I was over 50 years old though. I don't know if that makes a difference. I took dance; modern and ballet as a teen, cycled from age three, and walked most of my life without a car for shopping and nearly everything by public transit or on foot. One side of my family seem to build muscle easily, the other side are all on the slim side.

Keep motivated and eat less, you will surely accomplish what you desire.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Years. Reached peak weight around 2008-2009. I didn't try too hard with the first 50lbs or so beyond doing Wii Fit a lot, but then I got stuck in the 210-220 range for awhile while my motivation waned. Labor Day weekend 2013, I finally got serious about losing more weight and got to the 120s in May 2015. I've been maintaining in that range ever since.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was my heaviest in the summer of 2011. I lost some weight, like 30 or 40 pounds and then I got pregnant and gained maybe 20 of it back over the course of pregnancy and breastfeeding. 2015 was the year that I decided to lose weight properly. I started in January and lost 100 pounds in 2015, I reached my goal weight in February of 2016.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    23lbs in four months.
    Dropped an additional 10lbs over next fifteen months in a series of small steps maintaining and small cuts.
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Lost 80+ lbs. in 10 months (250 -> 165.8) as of last week. Really only been in maintenance since January 2016 and still working on the maintenance stability. My doctor has said OK to going down to 170, so my goal range is 166 - 174. That keeps me in the top of the healthy BMI range.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm about 15 pounds from where I need to be and have lost 69 pounds overall. I lost about 50 pounds of it 3-4 years ago, made some permanent lifestyle changes, and kept most of that off. That showed me I could go into maintenance and keep it off. I started up again last November, and have lost another 19 pounds. My weight loss rate since starting up again November has been about 1 pound per week. I should be at my goal weight by July.

What I'm going to do differently this time is gradually ramp up the calories and continue to log my calories. I've decided I might be one of those who need to continue logging my food forever (or at least until I'm absolutely sure I've completely internalized portion control). I get into trouble when I don't pay attention to what's going into my body.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It took me ~3 years to lose 42 lbs. I also took longish maintenance breaks regularly during that time frame and had some plateaus. It definitely took some trial and error to figure things out.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Really great thread. Thanks, everyone. (Haven't hit my goal yet!!)
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm a pound away from my goal weight. It has taken me almost a year to get here. I suppose I could switch to maintenance mode now. But I'm stubborn. I want to see that final pound gone before I make the switch! Then when I start to maintain I want that number to be the high end of the five pound range I want to maintain at.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    8 months to lose 80. That's just weight though...

Getting the body I want will take years.