Does it matter which time of the day you work out?

Options
I've read some articles that it's better to workout in the morning before breakfast (fasted state) because it actually burns your fat, especially if you're trying to lose weight. Unlike if you work out in the night it will burn the calories you ingested for that day rather than the fats.

I thought it shouldn't matter as it will still lose weight as long as you're under the calorie goal.

Which one do you think is correct? Thanks!

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    IMO, it doesn't matter when, as long as you work out.
  • fchavez
    fchavez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've read the same. I have worked out mainly in the morning and got the best results. It makes sense that your body will use the stored energy in your body (Fat) if there is nowhere else to get it from. Try both for a while and see which gives you the best result. Good luck.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    IMO, it doesn't matter when, as long as you work out.

In my opinion, as well. Although, I tend to workout right before bed because that's the only time my schedule allows, usually. Part of me feels like I'm helping to burn off any extra calories floating around that may stick to my thighs overnight. ;)
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Lots of different opinions on this one. Some say to never work out on an empty stomache since you'll start burning muscle sooner - who knows? Talk to your doc, trainer, or nutritionist.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Morning before you eat is best according to the nutritionist I saw, but that doesn't work for me, I walk after work and do my cardio just before bed.

You have to find what works for you and your lifestyle. If it is a chore or inconvient then you may not stick to it. Find what works for you and stick to it, make it part of your daily routine!

Best of Luck!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I personally believe in working out when I am high energy and most likely to finish the workout. For me that is early morning, but as long as your doing it do what works for you.
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't think it actually "matters" as far as what gets burned. Its calories in vs calories out. I prefer to workout in the morning because it gives me more energy throughout the day so I actually feel like what I'm eating is being put to use rather than just sitting there until I work out at night (which I also do) but I prefer my am workout to my pm workout because like i said I feel like it gives me more energy or increases my metabolism.
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I try to split mine up. Some in the morning to get the metabolism going, an easy lap (quarter mile) four times during the day and then a long workout in the evening.
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    It does not matter when you work out correct. But I can tell you this. The optimal time to lift weights is before you go to bed because your body repairs the muscle damage while you rest (this process burns calories while you sleep and is what creates "larger muscles). Cardio is best being the first thing you do in your day on an empty stomach as it provides momentum for your metabolism for the balance of the day.

I have done my homework on this issue trust me. Again getting it does is the most important part but if you have the ability to be selective on when you do it...well above is your answer.
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    It does not matter when you work out correct. But I can tell you this. The optimal time to lift weights is before you go to bed because your body repairs the muscle damage while you rest (this process burns calories while you sleep and is what creates "larger muscles). Cardio is best being the first thing you do in your day on an empty stomach as it provides momentum for your metabolism for the balance of the day.

I have done my homework on this issue trust me. Again getting it does is the most important part but if you have the ability to be selective on when you do it...well above is your answer.

Thanks for this! I'm going to try this and see if it works for me.
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I mix it up, that way my body doesnt know from day to day what the schedule is!
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    welcome!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I find myself working out when I have the time because it is better than not at all. I try for the mornings just to get it out of the way and no excuses later not to. Most days it is in the evening and I personally feel like I do more burning when I am working out after I ate then work out then eat (mental probably). I dont think your body knows what day or time it is, so I beleive it is best to exercise when you have the chance, better then skipping. I still saw results no matter when I worked out, and on my days off it could be in the early or late afternoon and work days can be at 8pm at night.:smile:
  • DarkMagicianGirl
    Options
    I try to exercise really in the morning but sometimes I can't keep it up as I stay late at night. Instead of waking up and exercising 1hr in the morning I use it for extra snooze to rest so I end up exercising in the afternoon.
  • DarkMagicianGirl
    Options
    This is a very interesting post. I will definitely try this one... Many thanks!