How rude is it?

Options
I am going up to my parents over the 4th for 4 days. They eat healthy, but not quite like me. For example, dinner will include a huge steak, salad, potatoes, and some fancy dessert. Breakfast will include scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon, and bagels. Lunch is always sandwiches with non-baked chips. Plus TONS OF SNACKS!!!

How rude is it of me if I bring up some of my own food to cook with everyone else's? For example chicken instead of steak, my protein drinks and fiber bars instead of eggs and bacon, or even my own mini-rice cakes instead of chips and my own snacks?

I am not worried about the exercise part though. They all sleep in, so I can do my walks and mini-workouts early in the morning. Plus they live on a lake, so I plan to do lots of swimming.

Is it rude or do I just chalk up the 4 days to a complete loss?

Replies

• Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude at all. Just think of the money they will be saving if they don't have to buy that extra steak :)
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    i don't think its rude if you talk to them and explain it beforehand. if you didn't offer an explanation, however, they might be offended. maybe you could go halfway and eat some of your stuff and some of theirs? just a thought.

good luck!
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Well you gotta look at the dynamic between you and your in-laws. But really I would say since you have lost 30+ already, they will surely notice and get a true understanding as to why you are bringing your own healthy options to the table.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't see it as rude. I took my own food to my birthday cookout at my parents' bc they were doing hot dogs and hamburgers. I took chicken for myself to grill. lol
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You've lost 32 lbs!! Your parents will most definitely understand, and will probably commend you on your effort. Just open up and share with them, like you have with us. Chances are, they will do their best to have healthy alternatives available for you, and encourage you on your journey. I know that's what would happen at my house.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    This is your parents! I think if anyone in the world you don't have to worry about offending it's them. Trust me I'm sure they want you to be healthy,
    I'm going to my parents for dinner this weekend and I'm bringing healthy snacks for before hand for everyone and a healthy desert, then I'll bring a chicken breast or something for dinner just for myself.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    They're your parents - I'm sure they'll understand.

Maybe you could also offer to cook them dinner one evening ? They might enjoy it!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I did this when I went to visit my sis.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I would definitely tell them your plans to do so, so they aren't taken off guard and planned for you to eat what they are having.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    They're your parents - I'm sure they'll understand.

Maybe you could also offer to cook them dinner one evening ? They might enjoy it!

I agree. Plus, if they give you too much hassle, say you've been having stomach issues and these are the foods that don't bother your tummy. Saves me every time.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I don't think its rude at all. When I visit my parents I always bring some of my own foods. They are not insulted in the least and they're very happy about my lifestyle change.

Now...if I could just cut down on the booze I drink when I go "home" all would be good. At precisely 5:00pm every day my parents are on the deck with cocktails. You could set your watch by it. It's hilarious. Mom is 64, stepdad is 73.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I dont think it is rude. My parents actually keep alternatives that I will eat in the house if I am coming over. For example- I am a vegetarian so they keep veggie burgers on hand if they are grilling. I dont think it would be unreasonable at all to bring things that you want to eat.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I let people know in advance that I am on a special diet when I go visit family and friends. No one have ever thought me rude for bringing my own food.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is rude at all. I think it is smart! Enjoy your vacation!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I agree with whoever said, the dynamics that you're working with is the biggest factor here and how it will be interpreted.

I also don't think its rude considering that they most likely already know your plan/strategy and won't take your behavior personally.

That all being said, is one day of eating less than healthy really going to make a difference?
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    i don't think its rude if you talk to them and explain it beforehand. if you didn't offer an explanation, however, they might be offended. maybe you could go halfway and eat some of your stuff and some of theirs? just a thought.

good luck!

This is what I was thinking as well....talk to them about it beforehand!
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    Why couldnt you just take smaller portions? I hardly consider steak and a salad to be a bad meal decision unless you down a 26 Oz hunk of meat and load up your potato with butter and sour cream. Avoid dessert and skip the chips if you wish.

As for the question you asked, I don't think it would be a problem to bring your own food, but at the same time part of the "lifestyle" change of weight loss has to be adapting to what is available...do you want to be packing a chicken breast every time you go somewhere to eat for the rest of your life?
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is rude to bring your own thing but I also think this could be a good opportunity to work with what you have and compromise a bit. For example... bring chicken for the grill (no big deal to make it instead of steak) but eat a slightly healthier breakfast with their stuff (eggs without cheese/bacon, maybe bring some fruit for the family?). I would bring snacks to share that are healthy rather than just doing your own thing... maybe offer to make a few side dishes or a nice salad?
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    They're your parents, not your in-laws. Bringing food to your parents in never rude. Frankly, if you bring extra, its thoughtful.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    grrr... double post!