OH BOY DID I BLOW IT YESTERDAY!!!! NEED A PEP TALK

Options
First let me say I have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and don't do well in the winter anyway. I also am a medical transcriptionist from home so I don't interact much outside the home but try to get out AT LEAST once a week and do some stuff that interacts. It has been snowing here for what seems like forever, my son's car is broken so he is driving mine until it is fixed (so I can't go anywhere) and we got 3 more inches of snow yesterday and it is way below 0 with the wind chill temperature. So yesterday I got up feeling REALLY down. I mean REALLY down. I haven't been this down for I don't know how long. I didn't exercise and I ate everything I could get my hands on that was NOT good for me (forget the healthy eating thing). I get on the scale this morning and I have gained 2 pounds. YIKES. This in turn makes me feel down again and the cycle continues. I did only have my lite cranberry juice and 2 Special K waffles so far this morning (it is 9:15 here) and am going to go downstairs and walk on my treadmill, so that is better. Anyone have this happen to them lately and did you come out of it? (PLEASE SAY YES!!!:wink: ) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    First let me say I have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and don't do well in the winter anyway. I also am a medical transcriptionist from home so I don't interact much outside the home but try to get out AT LEAST once a week and do some stuff that interacts. It has been snowing here for what seems like forever, my son's car is broken so he is driving mine until it is fixed (so I can't go anywhere) and we got 3 more inches of snow yesterday and it is way below 0 with the wind chill temperature. So yesterday I got up feeling REALLY down. I mean REALLY down. I haven't been this down for I don't know how long. I didn't exercise and I ate everything I could get my hands on that was NOT good for me (forget the healthy eating thing). I get on the scale this morning and I have gained 2 pounds. YIKES. This in turn makes me feel down again and the cycle continues. I did only have my lite cranberry juice and 2 Special K waffles so far this morning (it is 9:15 here) and am going to go downstairs and walk on my treadmill, so that is better. Anyone have this happen to them lately and did you come out of it? (PLEASE SAY YES!!!:wink: ) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    Just something simple.

Yesterday was yesterday. Put it behind you. Today is a new day.
  • GlassKisses
    Options
    That's happened to me before. The important thing is not to let it freak you out so badly. Acknowledge the fact that it happened so you can try not to do it again, but don't let it get you down. It's just 2 lbs; that could be worked off pretty quick. Besides, it could also have something to do with how much water you've been drinking :smile: It's not a big deal unless you treat it like one. Just go back to eating healthier and exercising, and all will be well. Good luck :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day so start from there. Exercise always help boost my mood.
    Have you thought about using one of the full spectum lights? Or tanning? I know tanning is frowned up and is not really good for your skin. But once a week might give you alittle warmth and perk you up. I did it a couple of years ago before vacation. I was surprised by how good I felt getting some fake sun.
    Also maybe for the winter try to get alittle more interaction with people. If you can't go out this site can be fun. Maybe go to the fun & games section.

Isn't today bad! There is no where around us that is having school today. I don't mind the snow so much but this cold is crazy! I am thankful I am in a warm house.
    Kelly
  • klj182
    klj182 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey there! I'm a personal trainer in VA and just ran across this website...how cool!

OK- first of all- we ALL have a bad day from time to time. The trick is knowing that when that day is over you are going to pick yourself up by the boot straps and move forward. Think of today as a fresh start and dont dwell on the trip ups you had yesterday. The 2 pound gain is a perfectly normal response to high cal/high carb meals from yesterday. Dont let it freak you out and zap your motivation to keep going! Work hard today, continue to eat right, and you'll probably see it drop by the weekend! Just whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP! :-)

Smiles!
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Yeah I felt like this recently, I've battled with depression on and off for the past 3 years - since I was diagnosed with diabetes. I have days where i have to force my food down my throat, and other days where I eat everything in sight. TOM days are a nightmare for me :blushing:

I just take it one day at a time, drink plenty of water, exercise as much as I can, and try to find more filling foods in each meal that are low in calories - seems to help me.
  • beagle595
    beagle595 Posts: 226
    Options
    Get back on track today! You can do it! Do you take Vitamin D? I take 2000 IU everyday and it takes away my winter seasonal depression. Without Sunshine you need the D. Also vitamin C will also help to keep your immune system in check. Check with your Doctor. Have a GREAT Day! :smile:
  • Sheri4MS
    Sheri4MS Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yep, there are those days when you just want to pull the covers up and stay in bed all day. The sunshine makes us smile inside out.

To help make you feel better, I thought I would let you know that are temperatures have been -34, -26 & -30 the last few mornings. Today schools are starting late as it is just WAY too cold with windshields factors of -65 and -70 below. Imagine if I got on a plane and traveled to CA or FL, I could be 140 degrees warmer.

During my work out in the warm gym today I will be riding my bike and pretending I am riding along some beach somewhere, anywhere but here.

Keep your chin up, today will be better:flowerforyou:
  • AugustBaby1973
    Options
    Girlfriend, yesterday is GONE and today is a NEW DAY!!! :bigsmile: We all have bad days, and we just have to get past them! Just get back into your workout routine like you did today---yay, you!!!---and you'll be ready for Spring in no time! The snow will melt, and so will the fat! The sunshine will come in no time! :glasses:

Oh, and if you're bored at home sometimes and just need to move around put on some of your favorite music and DANCE the pounds away!!! :happy: My daughter and I pop in a Beyonce CD and pretend like we're her on stage, and dance, dance, dance! It's good exercise, and FUN!!!!:heart:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    omg are you in minnesota??? this place is CRAP right now and I dunno if I am medically affected by it but I do get really depressed when it gets this cold (now going on 60 straight hours below 0) and I overeat because I'm BORED!!! I've had a few bad days here and i'm gettin ON TRACK today!! I'm movin somewhere sunny! lol:tongue:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I also am a SAD victim, I hate it! Like someone mentioned tanning, I know it's not good for a person, but I go once or twice a week, my gym has beds, this has helped, we are having the same weather here in Nebraska! Yesterday is the past, Tomorrow is the future, and Today is the day we have control over, don't worry about the past, and you determine the future!
  • mandersen16
    Options
    Another trick I use since I am totally like that too is not keep any foods in the house that I could eat too terribly on. If I over eat, at least it's usually apples or wheat thins and peanut butter or something (though overdoing pb isn't really good).

I agree that the tanning salon once a week could help too. I usually go after a specially hard workout as a way to relax.

Also, I have a song that whenever I hear it, I have to dance. It cheers me up every time. COME DANCING by the Kinks. I don't know what it is about that song but it will always cheer me up and get me motivated again. Hang in there!!
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Talking about songs, JUST DANCE by Lady Gaga is great! I first heard of here when a friend and I went to see New Kids on the Block, or DIRTY DANCING by the NKOTB is a great one too! I can't help but kick up the speed on the treadmill when I hear those on my ipod!
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    WOW YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!! I just got off my treadmill (30 minutes) and feel somewhat better then I get on here and feel A LOT better. All of your advice is great. I have done the tanning bed thing, but I don't have a car right now (son has it) so I can't go. I agree it does help. As far as keeping unhealthy food in the house, I have 3 other people here who won't eat what I do and really aren't that supportive of me (my daughter would rather die than give up her Doritos). I hate that fruit is not so great right now....I love fruit and veggies but they don't look so great here. I live in Northern Indiana and this is really just the beginning I think. We haven't had bad weather for a few years so I guess we are due.

I appreciate all of your advice and will take it whole heartedly. The dancing thing is a great idea!!!! I will have to find a really good pick-me-up song and try that one (only when I am here by myself though :laugh: )

Thanks so much....I feel much better and am jumping right back on that track I fell off of yesterday.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I did the tanning thing to help with my seasonal blahs...
    My warning only there is not to get sucked in to the color so much as the emotional benefits.
    I started and LOVED that I was dark and went more then I should!
    Now I have a red spot on my lip from too much. :indifferent:
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but yesterday, I ate everything I could. I blew it for two days, but my best friend just called and said it was time to plan our girl trip to Destin! Boy, that reminded me why I was on the diet in the first place, to go to Destin thinner!!!! Today I am back on track. I think I will just eat cereal for breakfast and dinner the next couple of days to try and outdo what I have done!!!!!!! Plus exercise all weekend!! I want to lose 4.5 pounds by Monday to stay on track...CAN I DO IT? YES I CAN....... you can get out of it, just think of warm Flordia!!!!!