Your favorite gluten-free foods?

Options
keenercam
keenercam Posts: 321 Member
I may soon have to eliminate gluten from my diet (going through testing now). Would love to hear about the "finds" you have made when looking for gluten-free items. I guess I'm looking for substitutes for items that would otherwise have gluten in them.

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Where are you located? That will make a difference in the responses, since availability varies greatly. If you're in Canada, I can tell you about my finds.
  • keenercam
    Options
    Good point, thanks. I am on the mid-atlantic coast in the US.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Udi's is a trustworthy brand with quality products.

Their Millet/Chia bread is really good. Most other gluten-free breads are terrible.

What do you typically eat on a given day? That would make it easy to see what you can swap out.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Trader joes has good gluten free frozen breaded halibut. $8.99 , kind of expensive but worth it.

Whole foods has great gluten free waffles made by Vans - blueberry and apple cinnamon, they are so good!
    Options
    Agreed, Udi's is generally pretty good. Their GF muffins are really delish.

I'm not sure if you have Boston Pizza (I think it may be called BP Lounge in the US) - their Gluten Free pizza is amazing.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    What specific foods are you trying to replace?

There are lot's of great GF cereal options nowadays.

I like Udi's as well.

I've swapped out wheat tortilla's with corn tortillas and actually prefer the taste.

If I'm really craving a salty snack, the Snyders GF pretzels are actually palatable.

Truth be told, I only really used the replacement products for the beginning of my GF journey, I've learned to live without bread and don't really miss it, I don't snack as often, so don't really need those replacements. However, you'll have to pry my Rice Chex out of my cold, dead hands. LOL
    Options
    What specific foods are you trying to replace?

There are lot's of great GF cereal options nowadays.

I like Udi's as well.

I've swapped out wheat tortilla's with corn tortillas and actually prefer the taste.

If I'm really craving a salty snack, the Snyders GF pretzels are actually palatable.

Truth be told, I only really used the replacement products for the beginning of my GF journey, I've learned to live without bread and don't really miss it, I don't snack as often, so don't really need those replacements. However, you'll have to pry my Rice Chex out of my cold, dead hands. LOL

+1
    The cinnamon Chex....OMG
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Udi's is readily available and not bad. Target has also started carrying Canyon Bakehouse bread; tastes a little better than Udi's in my opinion.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Edemame pasta is great! I don't have celiac sprue, but love these because they are also high in protein. Found them at Costco
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Trader joes has good gluten free frozen breaded halibut. $8.99 , kind of expensive but worth it.

Why wouldn't you just eat plain halibut? I eat lots of halibut, none has gluten.

Anyway, I'm assuming OP knows that most foods (meat, veg, potatoes, sweet potatoes, legumes, etc.) don't have gluten and is looking for gluten-free subs for common wheat products (or packaged products that might contain gluten), so I will let the experts help with that.
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Why wouldn't you just eat plain halibut? I eat lots of halibut, none has gluten.

Anyway, I'm assuming OP knows that most foods (meat, veg, potatoes, sweet potatoes, legumes, etc.) don't have gluten and is looking for gluten-free subs for common wheat products (or packaged products that might contain gluten), so I will let the experts help with that.

You missed the "breaded" part
  • keenercam
    Options
    Wow! Thank you so much for all of the ideas. Here is what my typical day might be, food-wise:

B: egg white with broccoli and mushroom, sometimes on a bagel thin or light english muffin. Sometimes a Jimmy Dean's Delights breakfast sandwich. Sometimes maple and brown sugar oatmeal. My all-time favorite breakfast splurge is a sesame bagel with light cream cheese. That's not going to work anymore either, huh?

S: Greek yogurt or apple

L: Homemade chicken noodle soup (could replace noodles with brown rice, right?) or a frozen Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers meal. I'm not sure any of those are GF. I'd have to check. Or Trader Joe's whole wheat tuscan pane with light cheese and turkey breast. (Obviously, the recommendations on breads are highly appreciated)

S: Greek yogurt, apple, baby carrots, hard-boiled egg whites, or string cheese

D: Usually a vegetable and a protein - grilled chicken breast most frequently.

Dessert: This will take some work. Normally, I'd have any of these: Utz mini pretzels, veggie straws, cheddar goldfish, pastry crisps, mini vanilla oreos, WW ice cream bar, graham crackers
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My favorites are Amy's Broccoli Cheddar Bake and Three Cheese Kale Bake, both made with gluten free rice pasta. They are my favorite thing to bring for lunches. Sometimes I'll add some tuna for extra protein.

My BF and I just ate at Blaze Pizza the other night, and their gluten free pizza was excellent.
  • keenercam
    Options
    I will definitely browse the freezer section to find Amy's and Udi's. I'm really happy to know that there are good breads, pastas and pretzels for when I feel those cravings.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You missed the "breaded" part

No, not at all. That's why I said why not just eat plain halibut (or make your own "breading" with something else).