Tips on not becoming obsessed with weight loss and taking it slowly

Options
Hey I'm going back to calorie counting today, but I'm not sure how to do it without getting obsessed.

Last year I started counting calories religiously. If I didn't have access to a scale, I just wouldn't eat it. It got to the point that I was counting calories and weighing food in my dreams. I was also working out 6x a week. The workouts were pretty intense (spin classes, aerobic classes and weights), but I wasn't active during the day other than that.

I got down to the size I used to be (120lbs, I'm 5'6) and then forced myself to stop counting calories because I had stopped getting my period. Anyway, I guess my obsession turned into binging on food and now less than a yr later I weigh 140 lbs. I was never too worried while I was gaining weight because I know I'm good at losing it almost instantly when I decide to.
The thing is idk how to lose weight slowly, which I think is the key to being able to maintain the loss. I have an all or nothing mentality and get addicted to things very fast. So I don't think I'd be able to stick to working out 3 days a week. 6 days a week is easier to me because it becomes a habit more quickly. Same with counting, I'm either going to count all my calories macros and even micros or none of it at all.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Honestly you're just going to have to work on that mentality you have. I'm the same way, and my best friend and husband both remind me that it's okay to not be perfect/give 110% to everything. It's okay to go a little bit over, because even if you're trying to lose 2lb/week, and you only lose 1lb, it's STILL a loss and making progress.

Without my best friend and husband I would have easily fell back into an eating disordered mind-set. I highly suggest talking to someone in your personal life about this, even if it's not a professional.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to have multiple things track in addition to the scales: measurements, progress pics, steps, various fitness accomplishments, etc. I track everything in a journal. When one area is slow, others are doing great. I also constantly remind myself WHY I'm doing this.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    there isn't anything wrong with being obsessive, just be obsessive about the right things. I am super obsessive, so i make spreadsheets with healthy realistic goals and stick to those numbers, no more no less. If you dont like being obsessive, then you should seek some kinda counseling. But i love being obsessive, i get lots of things done by harnessing that power.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    At 5'6' is 120 lbs healthy? And reasonable? Idk I'm just wondering.

I'm 5'5' and my Dr. Told me that 115-117 was too skinny.
  • adelaidaairapetian
    adelaidaairapetian Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    there isn't anything wrong with being obsessive, just be obsessive about the right things. I am super obsessive, so i make spreadsheets with healthy realistic goals and stick to those numbers, no more no less. If you dont like being obsessive, then you should seek some kinda counseling. But i love being obsessive, i get lots of things done by harnessing that power.

Yeah you get *kitten* done, but it's all you can think about. Which is annoying af to the people around you, and it is counterproductive in helping you reach your other goals in life. Assuming that is, that you do have goals and a life outside of your spreadsheets lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Realize that weight and weight loss is not the only component of being healthy and/or fit. All of the stuff you mentioned is the antithesis of healthy...and the point is being healthy and fit, not as skinny as humanly possible. I'm not even sure if 120 Lbs would be a healthy weight for your height.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree that there's nothing wrong with being a bit obsessed- kind of need it to stay on track. But, of course, in a healthy way. I wonder if (as NaturalNancy mentioned) 120 may be considered healthy still. Depending on your age and such, it might be too low (especially if you stopped getting your periods) and you could consider looking at yourself at 140 to gauge how healthy you feel. If you are worried you'll gain more or that you're in this bingeing phase, maybe set your tracker to maintenance and keep tracking but keeping at a higher calorie level.

My husband is the same way- very much all or nothing. He's lost and gained 50 lbs several times over the last 10 years (either he's mr.super healthy tracking, working out every day or he's a couch-potato and eating whatever). So I've seen how this is and get what you're going through. But you are already aware that this is an issue for you, so try thinking of ways you can take advantage of this "shortcoming." If you know you'll track your macros religiously and go all in while tracking, then do it- but aim for a higher calorie range and focus instead on fitness goals and not weight-loss.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    What has really helped me to feel more balanced lately is purposely choosing not to log 1-2 days a week.

I recognize that this is maybe not a good idea for everyone. However, I have been religiously logging and weighing for close to a year now and in time, you can definitely get an idea of portion sizes, etc. I don't use these days as "cheat days" and most often end up eating the same things as I do the other 5 days of the week. But I don't measure or log anything. It feels like taking a step back and it has been mentally beneficial for me.

It also hasn't impacted my weight loss at all and I'm very happy with my rate of loss and gym performance.

I also agree with the others about setting non-weight related goals. :)
  • TGraceS
    TGraceS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have an obsessive personality, so I was worried about this too. To keep myself in check, I do not log every meal. I am seeing results, losing about a lb a week and I feel healthy both mentally and physically. Some days, I log EVERYTHING, and that's fine, but other days I go out to dinner with my BF, or my roommate cooks something delicious. I can't possibly count EVERYTHING EXACTLY when I go out to eat or when other people cook for me, so I just make healthier choices, eat smaller portions, or just let it go for a meal :) Weight loss is pretty much all I think about still, and not having enough veggies, or whatever, but I am not driving myself crazy thinking I've failed when I choose not to log.

FYI, I didn't log anything on Easter... ANYTHING... and I am .6lbs lighter now than I was that morning. So I'm not sweating it!
  • eschme2
    eschme2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm in the same boat. Last time I really tried to lose weight I got down to 115 lbs and am 5'5.5" everyone told me I was too skinny! I stopped counting and a few years later I'm 140 :/ . this time around I'm setting a goal of 125 lbs and going to adjust my calorie needs when I get to 125 to maintain my weight
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    While I had the problem of trying to lose a goodly amount of pounds, I was the same way, it became all obsessive. I have to work on not letting it control my life, but at the same time fitting exercise and proper eating into my life. I don't beat myself up when I have a meal out with friends and order something crazy, and I don't freak out if I forget a day, but it took time and it's a reminder.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    At 5'6' is 120 lbs healthy? And reasonable? Idk I'm just wondering.

I'm 5'5' and my Dr. Told me that 115-117 was too skinny.

Depends on your frame. My family would do an intervention long before I got to 120, but I have a large frame http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp i
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Okay, just a thought here. Have you tried taking photos (easy enough these days with our phones) of a few days worth of meals that are within your caloric prescription. Monday's food, Tues., etc. Then, you may be learn to visually judge a serving or meal even when you don't have a scale handy?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Honestly you're just going to have to work on that mentality you have. I'm the same way, and my best friend and husband both remind me that it's okay to not be perfect/give 110% to everything. It's okay to go a little bit over, because even if you're trying to lose 2lb/week, and you only lose 1lb, it's STILL a loss and making progress.

Without my best friend and husband I would have easily fell back into an eating disordered mind-set. I highly suggest talking to someone in your personal life about this, even if it's not a professional.

same here.

I was always around 100 lbs most of my life. Had 3 kids and before getting pregnant with my last child (7 years ago) I was at 95-100 lbs. I was obsessed with losing weight and so afraid of gaining at that time in my life. I looked sickly I was so thin. It's very hard not to get in to that line of thinking this go round. I've lost 20 lbs in less than two months but not on purpose. I only exercise for 20-30 minutes every other day (walking) and other than that it's the measuring and weighing of my food that has helped me to lose so far.