Rolled Oats vs. Steel Cut Oats

Options
So I know of the many benefits of having a nice bowl of mornin' oats, but which variety of oats is better suited to supplement weight loss? Rolled or Steel Cut?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Doesn't matter. The nutritional profiles are the same give or take 10-20 calories, which is negligible. I use rolled oats because they are quicker.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    which ever one will satisfy you more with a single portion size of your allotedd calories.

I personally like the texture of steel cut, but I don't have the time. So I use the steel cut quick oats, which are steel cut but in smaller pieces. After cooking I add two tablespoons of flax seed meal for texture, fiber, and omega 3s.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love steel cut oats. They take longer to cook but you cook a Big batch and then just reheat some in the morning. They have a great texture and you Have to actually chew. Some people like that better so they feel like they are eating. I also like rolled oats. It really depends on my mood. Either way, I love oats with cinnamon and either apples or raisins.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Aww. I thought we were going to rumble. I'm a rolled oats guy.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I ate rolled until I tried steel cut.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Look at their nutritional profiles...there's really not much difference. I don't like the texture of rolled oats and steel cut are awesome texture wise, but I fail to see the need to make time to prepare them...I use Coach's Oats which can be made in the microwave and have a similar texture to steel cut. We already do enough meal prep in my house, I don't need to add slow cooker oats to the list.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    For a change of pace: make granola out of your steel-cut oats. Use judicious amounts of butter, nuts, honey, and dried fruit. Wow. You can easily make a week's worth at a time. (Commercial granola never contains butter because it spoils, but that is the main thing that makes it so good.)
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If I am making a bowl of oatmeal, I prefer steel cut (though there is nothing wrong with rolled). If I am going to add them to a smoothie, then rolled work better for me. I echo the others here about the nutrients, they are almost identical.
  • marphoria
    marphoria Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Like others said, nutrition-wise, there's not much of a difference, the nutritional value in a 1/2c of rolled oats is roughly the same as 1/4c of steel cut oats. I found that steel cut oats are better for my overnight oats recipes since the rolled oats get soggy (I prep my meals ahead of time for the week). In terms of weight loss, just eat the recommended serving size of oats, prep it with almond or coconut milk, and top it with bananas or berries. Makes a nice filling breakfast.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's all about texture for me. I like instant steel cut (Coach's) - takes 5 minutes. Oats by themselves aren't quite filling enough, adding nuts or nut butter helps the staying power for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Steel cut is less processed I believe. I'm lazy though and use the '5 minutes' kind because I'm not waiting 20 minutes for breakfast.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. The nutritional profiles are the same give or take 10-20 calories, which is negligible. I use rolled oats because they are quicker.
    Sums it up...
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats all the way ...one less process they didn't go through.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Depends on application. . baking: rolled; Eating: steel cut. Although I've thrown some steel cut in for extra "crunch" from time to time.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I like the taste and texture of steel cut over rolled.
    Shoot, I just make up a whole bunch on Sunday's and then eat it throughout the week. Heats back up in the microwave just fine.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Look at their nutritional profiles...there's really not much difference. I don't like the texture of rolled oats and steel cut are awesome texture wise, but I fail to see the need to make time to prepare them...I use Coach's Oats which can be made in the microwave and have a similar texture to steel cut. We already do enough meal prep in my house, I don't need to add slow cooker oats to the list.

It doesn't need to take hours in a slow cooker. It takes one hour in a Dutch oven in the oven at 375°. Put your ingredients in, warm, to just under a boil, your milk/water, top with tight foil and/or cover, bake for one hour. Done. Them just reheat portions throughout the week in the microwave.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Steel cut is less processed I believe. I'm lazy though and use the '5 minutes' kind because I'm not waiting 20 minutes for breakfast.

I'm with you on this Lol
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Sums it up...

Plus one.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Steel cut if I'm doing them overnight in the crock-pot, else rolled, old fashioned or whatever in the microwave.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats for me. Cinnamon, raisins and chia seeds for my add ins.