Doing It in the morning!

Options
Exercise that is.
What is your routine and what works for you?
I am not a morning person but realisticly I know that I would be more energetic than I would after work to get in a good workout. .
I keep hitting the snooze button. Any tips and what has worked for you?

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I work out after work and drink a small coffee beforehand, I need my sleep.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Morning. So much easier and feel so much better than trying to get it in later. I just made it a habit. Now I am tired at 9pm and sleeping until 7am is sleeping in. At first I had to set 4 alarms and have labels on them that would shout things at me lol
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5am a few days per week. I have kids and therefore a busy after work life, so that is generally my only option.

I have grown to embrace the early workout. The culture is so much more to my liking, just no-nonsense, serious people (the New Year resolutionists generally don't choose this time to dabble in exercising), people aren't there to be seen in their fashionable workout gear, to flirt or to take gym selfies, and there is a higher level of consideration (people are diligent about wiping down equipment and allow others to rotate in). I start thinking about the workout the night before, laying out everything I'm going to need, and when the alarm sounds, it is time to move, I never allow myself to blow it off.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    I work out after work and drink a small coffee beforehand, I need my sleep.

This. I don't drink coffee in the afternoon, but I always work out after work. Sleep is also a necessary part of good fitness and I don't really get enough as it is. I have a hard enough time getting up in the morning and I have no desire to get up earlier.
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the morning ( this way I don't have the entire day to talk myself out of it) getting up earlier stinks but I try to just jump up once the alarm goes off so o don't have time to think about it once I hit the snooze button I'm done
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Love morning workouts! I had just gotten in the habit of going when my shift changed at work. So now unless I wake up at 4:30 and at the gym by 5 I can't fit in a morning workout. I've managed to do it a few times at the earlier time but it's rough lol. I would just do either c25k workout or quick 15 minute treadmill/elliptical and then do either legs or arms.

The energy you have after an AM workout is amazing!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I get up and put workout clothes on before breakfast. Hair in a ponytail so I'm ready, no excuses. After I eat and have coffee I pop in my video and I'm on my way.
  • elimarsh11
    elimarsh11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I enjoy working out in the morning; however, sometimes I really like my sleep. to get myself motivated, I put together all of my clothes for the next day together ( Work clothes and workout clothes) and make sure that all off my meals are prepped and ready to go. The longer it takes me to get ready in the morning, the less motivated I am to go to the gym. I like that I can wake up and get ready in 15 minutes and head out the door.

It also doesn't help when I let my fur babies sleep with me because I just want to cuddle with them all morning!

The last thing about my morning workouts that motivate me the most is that I know that after work, I won't have to workout or the only thing I will have to do it my cardio ( I like to lift weights in the morning). Also, there are less people at the gym in the morning when I attend.
  • Pathmonkey
    Pathmonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Working out in the evening sucks what little joy in life there is! Mornings are a definite and gives me so much energy the rest of the day.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Morning is better for me. Many times I have said, "I'll go after work" and something always comes up to throw me off. I also love the boost it gives me to start my day.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Meh. Every time I have tried to work out in the morning I have started with great intentions. I managed to go for a week or a few months, and then something happened - I stayed up late working, or didn't feel like getting up, or whatever. So I would miss my workout. And you know what? Sleeping a bit later felt great, so I would usually miss the next one. Pretty soon the whole edifice collapsed.

You know what worked for me? Forgetting about morning workouts and going over lunch. My morning workouts always sucked anyway.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I typically work out at 5am before work. Some days I get an additional workout in after work. On the weekends I start my workout closer to 7am or 8am
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I want to wake up early and work out but even going to bed early. I still would need to sleep till 5am to get a full night of sleep. However, my fiance gets up at 3am and it takes forever to fall back to sleep and I feel horrible every morning. It takes everything to drag myself out of bed because of this. So I wait till weekends or if I have dinner after dinner, before bed.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Move alarm clock across room. Gym clothes next to alarm clock on top of gym bag. Lol its the only way.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Sleep in gym clothes (except socks). Wake up. Put on socks. Prepare Coffee. Drink coffee. Go exercise before shower and work.

The only hard part is getting my morning poop in between the coffee and gym without wasting any time. :lol:
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    xSPICYx wrote: »
    Sleep in gym clothes (except socks). Wake up. Put on socks. Prepare Coffee. Drink coffee. Go exercise before shower and work.

The only hard part is getting my morning poop in between the coffee and gym without wasting any time. :lol:

hahaha

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Evening is best for me because 1. I'm not a morning person and don't like getting up earlier than I have to 2. there isn't a reason for me not to do so in the evening. Every now and then I'm a little tired after work, but I just ignore it because I'm determined to get the work out in no matter how I'm feeling. Plus, I always feel better once I'm changed into my work out clothes :) .
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If you have trouble getting up, you can also get a cat. They don't have a snooze button and will wake you promptly at 5:15 each morning. Mine even automatically adjusted to daylight savings time. I'm not quite sure how that happened.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Pro of exercising in morning for me: It gives me an excuse to go to bed at a reasonable hour. I also often wake up in the middle of the night to put the cat in the other room or play with him a little bit. Might as well work out while I'm awake

Pro of exercising in the evening for me: My daughter loves to join me in the gym. I can put her on a treadmill or have her do HIIT programs with me in the cardio area.

tumblr_inline_o4hi7m4yqC1qmpzwk_540.jpg
  • needtolosethirty
    needtolosethirty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips. I will definitely try them. I sit at work all day in front of a computer so by the time i get home im straight lazy.. mayne an excuse but my brain is fried. I will try to give it a go in the morning, i feel great when i do so, its just when i actually get up and do it.