Does protein come before or after exercise?

Options
I have read a lot of conflicting advice on when to consume protein. I usually use a protein shake as a breakfast substitute on my walking days (real food gets me huffy puffy on the hills), walk 4-5 miles then guzzle water until lunch. Is this backwards?

Replies

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Unless you start bodybuilding it doesn't really matter as long as you get enough protein throughout the day.
  • velvetvenom88
    velvetvenom88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on bodybuilding aside from "arm day" and "ab day" heh. I should be making sure to get enough protein daily though, you are right. Thanks for the reply!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Carbs & protein before. Protein & carbs after. Energy & muscle building. Even cardio like running impacts some muscles, just not like weights.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have protein both before and after my workout. Same difference.
  • sharakapac
    sharakapac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm working on toning my muscles and overall fitness my trainer has suggested I have evolve protein powder 15mins prior to our sess ending to help build muscles has anyone else used this ? What do u think ?
  • velvetvenom88
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Carbs & protein before. Protein & carbs after. Energy & muscle building. Even cardio like running impacts some muscles, just not like weights.
    I have thought of drinking one both before and after. I need to up my protein intake and I am always really hungry and thirsty after. Two birds with one stone, I'll take it. I will give it a try this week. What would you suggest for carbs?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have thought of drinking one both before and after. I need to up my protein intake and I am always really hungry and thirsty after. Two birds with one stone, I'll take it. I will give it a try this week. What would you suggest for carbs?

Any kind of fruit. Protein doesn't have to be a shake. Could be yogurt, PB, nuts, cheese, eggs, etc. PB & whole wheat toast is a great carb protein combo. Protein shake with fruit is a good one too.
  • velvetvenom88
    Options
    Sounds good. Thank you :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

Completely unrequired for anyone but elite level athletes where nutrient timing starts to come in to play.

OP, meet your calorie and macronutritional goals throughout the day however you see fit, and you're good.

As with all these threads "you must consume protein xx minutes after curling some 6lb dumbells for 10 minutes or xxxx will happen" is just rote advice trotted out without any real thought.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You are doing fine. If doing heavy lifting, then add some afterwards.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I wouldn't personally drink a protein shake before AND after a workout. I'd have it either before OR after, and the other, I'd have a protein-filled snack (i.e. nuts, hard boiled egg, yogurt, etc.)
    :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Completely unrequired for anyone but elite level athletes where nutrient timing starts to come in to play.

OP, meet your calorie and macronutritional goals throughout the day however you see fit, and you're good.

As with all these threads "you must consume protein xx minutes after curling some 6lb dumbells for 10 minutes or xxxx will happen" is just rote advice trotted out without any real thought.

This ^.

Nutrient timing is one of those things things people spend 90% of their time thinking about that is responsible for 10% of results. Note, before anyone argues my %s this is just an example. Spend the time working on good basic nutrition and your exercise plan to get the most benefits, timing is waaaaay at the bottom of the list for 99+% of us.
  • velvetvenom88
    Options
    Update: I have been sticking with my original protein shake before exercising to replace my breakfast (on exercise days) and I haven't been using a second shake after because I found it is just not appetizing after working out. Weird update maybe but it also isn't very cost effective because the mix isn't cheap. I do have a decent lunch and tons of water. Things are going great. Thanks for all the advice.