Do you weigh your tofu before or after bake?

Options
Rit1603
Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
Package said 340 grams , baked all, then weigh and was 280 grams i had half so 140grams but what should i consider for calorie counting? Fresh out of package or post bake?

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Before. Although I use a press to get excess liquid out first.
  • Rit1603
    Options
    Sorry forgot to menrion it was firm tofu!
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    Sorry forgot to menrion it was firm tofu!

That doesn't really matter for calorie counting or for any other purpose other than how you are preparing it.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Same. Always before cooking but after pressing.
  • DaddieCat
    Options

Do you ever freeze it first to play with the texture created by the expanding ice crystals?
  • kathrynjean_
    Options

Do you ever freeze it first to play with the texture created by the expanding ice crystals?

I haven't but it's something I've been wanting to try. I've heard it's so good! Any recipes or recommendations?

(I have a bit of a weird relationship with the freezer; growing up, my family could never afford fresh food so we ate everything frozen and a lot of TV dinner stuff. So in my adult life, I kind of swung hard the other way and have avoided the freezer for a long time at all costs. Which I know is stupid, but I started buying frozen vegetables in the last 6 months ;) And even freezing leftovers. There may be hope for me yet haha)
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    I get that. It, in my opinion makes the tofu take marinade and flavor more readily... it kind of creates air pockets making it "bready"

I convinced a local chef to do it in a tofu po'boy he was making and it became more flavorful which meant better business for him.

I wouldn't use it for all applications, but it works for some.
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I haven't but it's something I've been wanting to try. I've heard it's so good! Any recipes or recommendations?

(I have a bit of a weird relationship with the freezer; growing up, my family could never afford fresh food so we ate everything frozen and a lot of TV dinner stuff. So in my adult life, I kind of swung hard the other way and have avoided the freezer for a long time at all costs. Which I know is stupid, but I started buying frozen vegetables in the last 6 months ;) And even freezing leftovers. There may be hope for me yet haha)

I have a similar relationship with canned vegetables. Can't do them, especially green beans. Weigh before cooking, but after draining like pp said. I like the freeze then cook method for braising and roasting, I feel like the flavors get absorbed better that way.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You're making this harder than it needs to be. Figure out the calories in one package of tofu, then divide by two because you ate only half of the package. Baking doesn't change the number of calories being baked.
  • Rit1603
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »
    You're making this harder than it needs to be. Figure out the calories in one package of tofu, then divide by two because you ate only half of the package. Baking doesn't change the number of calories being baked.
    Yes i guess Im getting little crazy with weights as people told me that its better if i weigh everything! But you right instead of looking for different tofu style on mfp i will do my own calculations with the package...its so hard to weigh every single food! Thanks
  • kathrynjean_
    Options
    Once you build up your food "library" of the things you eat often and the brands you buy, it becomes MUCH quicker. :) Promise.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »

I use this method. It took me a while but I finally found very good tofu near my current home.