Is there such a thing as working out "too much"?

Options
I have been dieting my whole adult life, every type of diet imaginable. I worked out in pockets but never really consistantly. This time around I am working out nearly 7 days a week, and counting calories.

Although I lost some weight on my first week, I havent shown a weight loss in almost a week, and this has never happened to me before. Can I be over doing it? Most of what I do to work out is cardio, with some strength training.

My body is sore a lot - especially my legs. How can I be at a plateau so early into my plan? Anyone have any thoughts? Have you experience this as well?

Thank you in advance!!!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Our bodies need a rest. I used to work out 6-7 days a week. I pushed my body too far and ended up hurt. There is some soreness that you can work through - but if you haven't taken a day off in awhile.. it is time for one. Let your body have a break. Muscles need time to repair and heal themselves and they can't do it if you keep pushing and pushing them.
  • 1440Fierce
    1440Fierce Posts: 28
    Options
    Yes. Two main reasons are you'll end up burning muscle. Muscle isn't as easy to gain back if you lose mass. Also, your immune system is lowered slightly after a workout, you could make yourself suseptable to illness and injury. Your body needs rest in order to recover.

Plateau's usually occur around week 4-5. Time to change up your routine a bit. Be sure your getting enough calories as well, enough carbs (your body needs healthy carbs)
  • Butterfly310
    Options
    Yes. Two main reasons are you'll end up burning muscle. Muscle isn't as easy to gain back if you lose mass. Also, your immune system is lowered slightly after a workout, you could make yourself suseptable to illness and injury. Your body needs rest in order to recover.

Plateau's usually occur around week 4-5. Time to change up your routine a bit. Be sure your getting enough calories as well, enough carbs (your body needs healthy carbs)

Thank you so much for the response. What would you recommend as "good carbs"?
  • Butterfly310
    Options
    Our bodies need a rest. I used to work out 6-7 days a week. I pushed my body too far and ended up hurt. There is some soreness that you can work through - but if you haven't taken a day off in awhile.. it is time for one. Let your body have a break. Muscles need time to repair and heal themselves and they can't do it if you keep pushing and pushing them.

Thank you so much. This really helps! Im taking a break today. :-)