Recovery time periods?

Options
EmBlazes
EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
Would love to know what some of you fitness freaks out there think about recovery times? I'm convinced a couple of days off during the week works better for me but my husband says I should do something every day. Is there a school of thought about having a day of "mild" activity to recover?

I'm not as effective exercising when I'm sore and/or tired so I wanted to review my recovery times. Also - does it change the fitter you get?

Replies

• ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You definitely need at least a day or two of rest if you are doing more strenuous workouts but if you're going for light exercise then it can't hurt to do a little every day. If you're lifting weights, for example, the act of exercising those muscles is actually tearing the fibers so the body needs time to rebuild. I forgot where I heard it but it went something like: Exercise is the architect, recovery is the builder.
  • EmBlazes
    Options
    You definitely need at least a day or two of rest if you are doing more strenuous workouts but if you're going for light exercise then it can't hurt to do a little every day. If you're lifting weights, for example, the act of exercising those muscles is actually tearing the fibers so the body needs time to rebuild. I forgot where I heard it but it went something like: Exercise is the architect, recovery is the builder.

I love the quote!! Thank you very much.. that's very good advice and in line with what I thought about the weights stuff I'm doing (so I do need longer recovery between sessions with my PT which are weights combined with cardio).

Thank you :smile:
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Work different muscle groups then you can avoid taking too much time off resting while still giving the muscles time to recover.
    Also if your doing a heavy workout be sure to have something like a protein shake or a high protein meal ASAP after your workout. The 30 mins after your workout are critical to the repair of muscles.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Even when i am hurting i still move, you will find the active warmed up muscles dont hurt anymore or as much. I wouldnt stop for more than a day.
  • EmBlazes
    Options
    Even when i am hurting i still move, you will find the active warmed up muscles dont hurt anymore or as much. I wouldnt stop for more than a day.

Yes I have a break mid-week for a day and then normally a day on the weekend as well and never more than that. Even then I sometimes do a walk just to keep the muscles moving (and you are right - once you are warmed up it doesn't hurt as much).

Thanks for the other advice too - in particular the protein one my PT told me about when we did lots of heavy weights stuff. That said I'm also trying to lose weight so I can't go too crazy on the protein!!

:bigsmile:
  • ladybrock
    ladybrock Posts: 5
    Options
    this is interesting as i am finding doing exrecise every day is really making me tired especialy with work on top. i take Fridays off and then either sat or sunday depending on what i do.

i try not to stick to too much of a rule i think your body gets used to it otherwise
  • EmBlazes
    Options
    i try not to stick to too much of a rule i think your body gets used to it otherwise

I agree - I know if I do the same thing week after week I just don't seem to progress much. I also used to do only cardio in the gym thinking that was the way to lose weight and my PT pointed out that you actually burn a lot doing weights because your muscles need extra energy to repair themselves (even after you've finished working out). My fitness also improved much more quickly when I was combining swimming, weights, cardio and yoga in my week.