cottage cheese mix ins

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
I have only had cottage cheese once when i was a kid. My mom would mix tomatoes and a ton of black pepper into the tub and just like munch on it all day (she has maintained 105 pounds her whole life that jerk ha) I hated it soo much, but i also a huge texture kid. I love alllll dairy and want to acclimate my taste buds to it so what is your favorite way to eat it, and how would you describe its taste... also high or low fat? thanks!

Replies

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I wouldn't touch the stuff. To me, it looked like crushed styrofoam in mayo or something. I'm 32 this year and just tasted it for the first time.

My first reaction was wanting to call my parents and apologize for being such a dick about not wanting to eat it.

It tastes like soft cheese chunks in creamy cheese, I guess. I love it. I buy the fattier version to hit my macros on a keto diet.
  • fishshark
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    When I was a kid, I wouldn't touch the stuff. To me, it looked like crushed styrofoam in mayo or something. I'm 32 this year and just tasted it for the first time.

My first reaction was wanting to call my parents and apologize for being such a dick about not wanting to eat it.

It tastes like soft cheese chunks in creamy cheese, I guess. I love it. I buy the fattier version to hit my macros on a keto diet.

i have a feeling i will like it.. idk why im so scared to buy it haha.
  • Mom2Birds
    Mom2Birds Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese...I often will mix chia seeds or a sugar free jam into it.
  • Hovercat
    Hovercat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There's a bottle of dried herbs you can find in the produce section that has dehydrated red onion, garlic and chives (can't remember the brand but it's a "salad" blend). I like to add a bit of this into it and then when lunch comes around its all hydrated and delicious :)
  • fishshark
    Options
    Hovercat wrote: »
    There's a bottle of dried herbs you can find in the produce section that has dehydrated red onion, garlic and chives (can't remember the brand but it's a "salad" blend). I like to add a bit of this into it and then when lunch comes around its all hydrated and delicious :)

that sounds deeeelicious.
  • mistyh10
    mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes are good in it...or put it on top of a salad. Also just plain with pepper is delicious. I get the fat-free because the full day is a little much for me. I love it!! :-)
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I get 4%. tomato and avocado with pepper and italian seasoning, berries with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon, on top of a salad with a touch of balsamic, blended into protein pancake batter, tomato and basil with a splash of balsamic, pineapple, mixed with chocolate pb2, or mixed into an omelet are my usual ways to eat it.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I like mine with pineapple chunks and normally go for the 2%, occasionally I will add mixed nuts and eat a half cup before bed which helps me feel full throughout the night.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I like mine with sweet things, applesauce and other fruit. I also like to blend with watermelon protein powder and fruit loop protein powder.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like it with honey or jam in it. Peaches, pears, and pineapple were all served with cottage cheese when I was a kid, and I still like it that way, especially with toasted walnuts or almonds. You can make it into a kind of dip by stirring it with whatever you might normally add to hummus and serve with raw veggies. I've had good luck with Alice Medrich's cheesecake recipe that subs well processed cottage cheese for much of the cream cheese in order to reduce the calories in the dessert.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I prefer small curd, it's a texture thing. Fresh fruit, like a ripe pear cut up and mixed in. A small amount of no sugar added jam/jelly or salt & pepper.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I prefer large curd and I like to mix in a little sugar free Jell-O mix; best if you can make it ahead and let it sit in the fridge for a while.
  • fishshark
    Options
    ive noticed you either love it with sweet stuff or you dont?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm a salt and pepper person. That's the way we always ate it when I was a kid. This past weekend I had it with chunks of avocado mixed in. It was a total win! If you like avocado, you must TRY IT!
  • fishshark
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I'm a salt and pepper person. That's the way we always ate it when I was a kid. This past weekend I had it with chunks of avocado mixed in. It was a total win! If you like avocado, you must TRY IT!

love avocado.. love tomatoes.. love balsamic (someone mentioned that)

going shopping tomorrow so im gonna pick some up.. not sure what brands whole foods carries but i think what ive gathered is most people like the higher fat?
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like mine with sweet things, applesauce and other fruit. I also like to blend with watermelon protein powder and fruit loop protein powder.

@californiagirl2012 wait what's fruit loop protein powder?

I really like to have it with tinned fruit. I know... Lame. I also like to eat it plain, in place of ricotta etc. I actually don't even mind the low fat ones but I think most people dislike it. I pretty much like all cottage cheese.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    i mix it with everything and anything - so versatile that options are unlimited as long as you have bit of fantasy when cooking.
    Last night i drained it from it's liquid, mixed in some leaks, onions and scallion (first two thrown in a wok rapidly to make them mooshy), some flour, an egg and did some fritters with them.
    Salads, condiment for pasta, cheese cakes, deserts... you name it!
  • fishshark
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    i mix it with everything and anything - so versatile that options are unlimited as long as you have bit of fantasy when cooking.
    Last night i drained it from it's liquid, mixed in some leaks, onions and scallion (first two thrown in a wok rapidly to make them mooshy), some flour, an egg and did some fritters with them.
    Salads, condiment for pasta, cheese cakes, deserts... you name it!

ohhh mannnn.... OH MAN. sounds so good
  • fishshark
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »

@californiagirl2012 wait what's fruit loop protein powder?

I really like to have it with tinned fruit. I know... Lame. I also like to eat it plain, in place of ricotta etc. I actually don't even mind the low fat ones but I think most people dislike it. I pretty much like all cottage cheese.

i was thinking the same thing about that powder
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    ive noticed you either love it with sweet stuff or you dont?

Eh, I eat it straight up with nothing in it. Though I've never tried mixing it with anything.