Help! i need something that fills me up

Options
Mshenko17
Mshenko17 Posts: 8 Member
I started eating less on Monday and i always feel hungry. Any food or recipes that can make me feel fuller longer.

Replies

• yoursingingrealtor
    yoursingingrealtor Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello, drink a lot of water. Also, find some low calories snacks. Apples are great for feeling full, I also enjoy was crisp bread with any nut butter and half a banana sliced on top. Air popped popcorn. I melt raw honey and drizzle it on it as well. A tasty snack. If you learn portion control you will pretty much be able to eat anything. There are many " what I eat in a day " tutorials on youtube that I found helpful. I had a bad day today with food but back on the saddle tomorrow. Don't give up. Slow and steady wins the race
  • Mshenko17
    Options
    Thank you! Im a student so its kind of hard for me to find healthy low calorie foods and my family have no support for me and they always gorge on junk food. Maybe i will buy apples and bananas for now since those are more affordable for me.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit is good to curb your hunger. They are low in calories also and healthy for you.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I basically throw a ton of non-starchy vegetables into every dish. Having pasta with sauce? Saute onion, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, etc and mix that in. You'll eat fewer calories for the same volume of food.

Same goes for burgers/meatballs, etc - I mix shredded vegetables or food processed vegetables and mix them 50/50 with my lean meat. Cuts calories and adds moisture to the leaner meats.

Soups, stews, chili, curry = huge opportunity to add whatever vegetables you have on hand.

I also eat riced or noodled vegetables, stir fry, and stuffed vegetables a lot (zucchini boats, spaghetti squash boats, eggplant boats, stuffed portobellos, stuffed peppers, etc).
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I buy a big bag of steel cut oats, I never used to be a big breakfast eater, but not eating breakfast completely impacted the way I ate the rest of the day. I am now on a schedule and I have steel cut oats every morning with some blueberries and almond milk. I also eat a lot of lean ground turkey, in soups, chillis, salads. Drinking water LOTS OF WATER is also key to helping you curb hunger - sometimes we aren't really hungry we are just so used to eating - water helps with that.
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I basically throw a ton of non-starchy vegetables into every dish. Having pasta with sauce? Saute onion, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, etc and mix that in. You'll eat fewer calories for the same volume of food.

Same goes for burgers/meatballs, etc - I mix shredded vegetables or food processed vegetables and mix them 50/50 with my lean meat. Cuts calories and adds moisture to the leaner meats.

Soups, stews, chili, curry = huge opportunity to add whatever vegetables you have on hand.

I also eat riced or noodled vegetables, stir fry, and stuffed vegetables a lot (zucchini boats, spaghetti squash boats, eggplant boats, stuffed portobellos, stuffed peppers, etc).

Great idea! I can't believe I haven't thought of that for meat. I mostly eat 99% fat free ground turkey, shredding and mixing in broccoli would be perfect for meatballs....What other vegetables do you mix in?

OP, I eat around 3-4 servings of Broccoli before every meal. It tastes awesome and helps me feel full before I get to the "good" stuff (though I love do Broccoli). Anything with a lot of Fiber will help you feel full.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @chewyxrage for lean beef burgers, I usually use mushrooms. You can't really tell because they're super meaty too. I also do that for shepherd's pie or anything that has a ground beef base. With ground turkey I tend to use spinach, zucchini, broccoli slaw, yellow squash, peppers celery and onions (better if you saute them first), etc. Really anything!

• MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Try eating veggie soup, pureed veggie soup or even broth before your meals. Also add spice to your recipes. I find I feel full faster when I eat spicy peppery dishes. I agree with @Queenmunchy adding mushrooms to beef is delicious! Works great in meat sauces, soups and chili too. Add lots of veggies! Frozen veggies might be helpful for you since you are a student and the family is not on board.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My go-to is oats. I use rolled oats (not quick oats), put water, the oats, half a diced pear, and a few walnuts in a saucepan on the stove. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cook until thickened (~5 min). Then I add a little brown sugar and cinnamon and plate it. Obviously you can dress up oats however you want, but that combo is my favorite particularly with the cooked pear since it softens up so nicely.

I also make a quick tuna salad with a pouch of tuna, a spoonful of Greek yogurt, and some sweet pickle relish. Then I put it on a single piece of toasted bread to make an open-faced sandwich.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've got a few go-tos when I just want to munch on something. You can eat a huge amount of sliced cucumbers for just a few calories, they're essentially crunchy water. Pickles are great, and the strong flavor is very satisfying. Sugar snap peas have that crunch factor.

Fill out all of your meals with double & triple servings of non starchy veg. You can eat a bucketful of broccoli or cauliflower or asparagus for a small amount of calories.

Try different things and keep track of what works for you. Some things that work great for others make me more hungry, like popcorn or fruit. But things that don't fill some people up work great for me, like potatoes and rice.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The only thing that keeps me full is protein. If I'm hungry, I'll usually have some nonfat or lowfat greek yogurt, or a piece of string cheese and some fruit. Even a hardboiled egg is a great filling snack, and only 70 calories.
  • Mshenko17
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. Though i dont havr access to someof the food you all suggested I'll try and find cheaper alternatives to them.
  • chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do popcorn with honey under 800 calories and I love it!
  • erod95695
    erod95695 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    3 oz chicken, 3/4 cup brown rice, 1 cup veggies. lunch and dinner. Drink 64oz h20 thru out day. Can have acouple portioned snacks if hungry afternoon or evening. I like 1 celery with cream cheese and raisens or carrots and hummus. Half a lrg apple with 1 tbs peaunt butter or half a bananna instead of choc., if your craving sweet and need a pick me or low energy or nice boost before walk. I always use a kiwi strawbery suger free benifiber in the last 16 oz of my water, its nice and sweet treat that sends me to bed with no hunger pains. Remember try to only pick two snacks , watch your calories and walk and burn more calories than you eat then you could afford alil more calories. The mornings i git by with the 1 yogart and 16 oz coffee and h20. Good luck I just seen your pic. you look young it took me many years to figure food out vs exercise hopfully your quicker.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    1/2 an avocado & a strip or two of bacon work for me, but then again I'm keeping my carbs lower and upping my fat for satiety. I'm at maintenance (2 yrs so far) after losing just over 30lbs in 4 months. But there are all kinds of good ideas here if you are a CICO person... I just find in my case the carbs feed the cravings for more food, even if they are 'healthy' carbs like fresh fruit or air popped corn. Hang in there, it will get easier.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You should definitely try this sweet potato pie flavored smoothie. I make it in my blender sometimes for breakfast..its really filling,and thick. It can be used for breakfast or as a filling snack. Popcorn,chia seeds and Cream of wheat are also very filling. Here's a link to the smoothie http://pin.it/bdp8UKr
  • kimssporty
    kimssporty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't eat an apple without a protein also. Its a simple carb that digests so fast it makes you famished within 30 mins. I googled it when I kept starving after eating one or two apples. Just Google "why am I starving after eating an apple" and you'll see. I use MRM Veggie protein mix with a scoop of garden of life super fiber combined, to keep me full.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of lots of non starchy veggies and a lean protein- not many calories but lots of volume- mostly i do it in a stir fry but I use light spray and not oil.