Article in the paper

Options
So I told my mum today about me counting calories and she then got the paper and showed me the front page which was saying 'new research' suggests that it's more about the quality of food you eat rather than the calorie intake. Like it should all be fresh and healthy and you have to cut out most carbs and processed stuff - isn't she helpful and motivational!

Anyway, was wondering what you all think?

Replies

• pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's a balance, personally I think eating quality foods is of bigger importance than counting calories when it cones to weight loss but both extremes can hinder your results...

If I ate 3000 calories above my daily burn worth of chicken breast a day I doubt I'd lose much weight, on the other hand a 500 cal deficit eating only pop tarts and diet cokes probably isn't going to get me there either.

Eat as much quality food as possible while maintaining a calorie intake that works for your goals.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Articles in newspapers aren't really very reliable when we are talking about science. After all, look at the grocery store tabloids with a new diet in them every week...

To lose weight, counting calories is essential. To be healthy, the quality of foods is essential. You technically need both, but when it all comes down to it, calories in vs. calories out is what you need to start losing weight.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    For me no matter how well I eat, I don't lose weight or barely lose weight if I don't exercise. But if I exercise I can eat pretty much whatever I want (within my calories for the day) and still lose weight. But if I eat well and exercise I lose weight even faster.

However I also know people who drastically cut carbs and sugars and didn't count calories who lost a lot of weight without any exercise.

So I really think it all just comes down to each person. Weight loss is not one size fits all and what works for some people won't work for others.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    However I also know people who drastically cut carbs and sugars and didn't count calories who lost a lot of weight without any exercise.

I bet those people ate low calorie and didn't know it. This is what happens on low carb diets. People can't figure out how to get their calories up most of the time. People think low carb diets work because of low carbs, but most of the time it is actually because of low calories. :flowerforyou: