How to stay Motivated after back surgery!! Open to all advice...

Options
I just started in March watching my weight and eating clean and so far I have dropped 13.6 lbs...I have a few bad habits of not eating enough food. I like to eat 1 big meal and have a snack for later, The hardest part is trying to eat 3 meals a day with a snack, so far i'm doing good.

Do any of you have any suggestion on how to stay motivated after surgery, I'm having surgery on my back April 1,2016; I will be out of commission for about 6 weeks, I have been walking and running between 10 to 13 miles a day, and doing my strengthen workouts. So if anyone could give any advice or no of anyone in group who had had a similar situation please send them my way.

I just want to stay motivated and continue with my journey.

Open to all advice from everyone

Thanks,
Barb

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I would give yourself a break after surgery.
    You will be healing so take care of yourself.
    Try not to stress about diet and exercise while you are recovering.
    Make sure you eat enough and are eating healthy foods that will help you heal after the surgery.
    Then start again w your goals after you feel better.
  • BarbaraGoldsmith
    BarbaraGoldsmith Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Will do
  • Grimlock_69
    Grimlock_69 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery two years ago. I had just reached my goal weight, I had lost about 50lbs. With the pain and depression I gained some of it back. Give your body the rest it needs. Continue to eat as healthy as possible and don't be in a rush to get back into your exercises. If you can walk, then walk. You really need to give your body time to recover. If you would like you can send a friend request. I hope this was helpful.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds then had hip replacement surgery for severe arthritis. During recovery I went to the gym nearly every day and performed all of my physical therapy exercises. The PT knew I was serious about staying in shape and would gradually give me more and more to do. Following your PT's advice is crucial. I am now 17 months out from surgery and just leg pressed 370#. Don't push yourself but also don't use your recovery as an excuse to not do anything. Listen to your body. It will tell you when you've gone too far.
  • BarbaraGoldsmith
    Options
    Hi Guy's, Thank you so much for your advice and recommendation, I will have my surgery today. So far I'm looking forward to Physical Therapy to keep me going and moving. I'm going to take it one day at a time; I will continue to follow my healthy eating, and doing small movements everyday.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Sounds like you have a good mindset going in.
  • BarbaraGoldsmith
    Options
    Yes and thank you, I'm doing well, when I woke up from my back surgery 75% of the pain was gone. I can't lift anything until my 6 weeks are up. So I have been taken it lightly by walking per my Physical Therapist, using adjustable bands to strength my arms and legs. Most importantly; I was worried about my diet, trying to keep my calories at 1000 a day and to maintain eating my three meals a day. Before I would only eat one meal a day with no results, When I added those 2 extra meals and a snack my weight began to drop, so therefore that's why every movement I can get in until I can get strong enough to got back to cross fit gym 3 days a week. Thanks again.