Protein bar recipe

Options
sallen67
sallen67 Posts: 24 Member
I'm always searching for new protein bar recipes or granola recipes rather than buying the premade bars from the store.

I have tried a bunch of them and this is by far my favorite. The last batch I made, I used a mini muffin tin instead of a baking pan. If you do this, you will need to reduce the time in the oven. Check frequently while you are baking them.

I mix and match my fruits and nuts in this, changing it to match whatever I have a taste for at the moment. I try to get the dried fruit that is done without added sugar.

2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup whey protein
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup flax seed
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 ounce unsalted butter
2 teaspoons kosher salt
6 1/2 ounces chopped dried fruit (raisins, apricots, blueberries, cranberries whatever you like)

Butter a 9x9 glass baking dish
preheat oven to 350
spread oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, flax seed & wheat germ onto a baking sheet
place in over for 15 minutes stirring occasionally
in a sauce pan combine honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved

Once oat mixture is done remove it from oven and reduce heat to 300. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture and add fruit, stir to combine.
Put mixture into baking dish and press down evenly distributing the mixture. Bake for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow it to cool completely.
Cut into squares and store in airtight container for up to a week, or freeze for longer storage.

These will get hard like a granola bar once they have cooled and set entirely, but the fruit will remain chewy.

Replies

• elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for a good granola/protein bar recipe. Don't suppose you have the nutritional info? Where do you find sugar-free dried fruits - Whole Foods?

Thanks!
  • Hopie17
    Hopie17 Posts: 53
    Options
    holy crap congrats on the weight loss!
  • ArtisticGlam
    Options
    that sounds yummy!
  • sallen67
    Options
    Yeah whole foods, Olivers, Trader Joe's

Most of the places that have a bulk food section at least in the area I live, You just have to read the bulk food bins, the s/f and the sugared are all just intermixed.
    They are few and far between, but you can find them.
  • sallen67
    Options
    Nutritional info
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/1965844

It will vary depending on your protein powder, if you can find no added sugar fruits etc, but this is the basic recipe
    I try to get 20 pieces out of this so 2x2 inch servings. You could make them larger or smaller but that will also change the info.
    The 2x2 pieces are perfect for taking along on a bike ride.

Cal Carb Fat Prot
    Total: 3957 535 160 136
    Per Serving: 198 27 8 7

For me the downside of these is that I can't have them just laying around the house. I enjoy them so much that I would be constantly snacking on them.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty good! I know what you mean about not keeping them around - but at least it's healthier than a lot of other choices.

I healthed-up my husband's granola bar recipe but didn't know I could cook with protein powder. Next batch will definitely include a couple scoops of Jay Robb's!
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this one... I will also post the one that I use that I LOVE. I was actually mad today when I realized I forgot it at home!!
  • _Jessica_
    Options
    Here is that recipe!

I double the following recipe to make a 9x13 pan

Ingredients:
    1cup oats
    2 scoops protien powder (I use optimum nutrition)
    (I also added 2 scoops baking coco because I didnt use chocolate protien powder)
    4 egg whites
    1 banana mashed or 1/2 cup applesauce
    1/4 tsp vannilla
    1TBS natural peanut butter ( I used what I had in the fridge... not natural)
    Stevia or other sweetner to taste (about 4 packets)
    dash of salt
    Mix-ins of your choice : carob chips, choc chips, dark choc chunks, dried cherries, dried cranberries, coconut, cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds, .... anything you can think of
    ( I used mini semis sweet choc chips, dried cherries, coconut, and cashew pieces)
    1. Preheat over to 350 Degrees F and spray an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray
    2. combine dry ingredients and set aside. In a seperate bowl, combine egg whites, mashed banana, vanilla, and peanut butter. Blend well. Pour the wet into the dry and mix well by hand.
    3. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 20 minutes or until the edges start to seperate from pan or the tooth pick comes out clean.
    4. let cool completely before cutting
    5. ENJOY!

Roughly about 23 g of protien, and 250 calories ( usising a 8x8 pan and cutting 6 bars out of it)
  • sallen67
    Options
    Cool, I'll have to give it a try.
    There is always room for improvement on a recipe.
    I was thinking about cutting back on the dried fruit and mixing up the nuts.
    Maybe removing some almonds and using some cashews, and adding some carob or chocolate chips
  • _Jessica_
    Options
    I like them becaue it fixes that choc craving I have... and i get the fiber from the flax meal inplace of the eggs, and dont forget the bananas! Last batch I forgot to add the peanut butter and they were still great!
  • kevin2406
    kevin2406 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kevin2406
    Options

in a sauce pan combine honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved

I don't see an extract in the ingredients list. Which one did you use?
  • RosieGB33nz
    RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
    Options
    bump!
  • sallen67
    Options
    The recipe is a couple lines above the text that you quoted.
  • kevin2406
    Options
    I see the ingredients but your instructions talk about an extract but it is not listed in the ingredients list. I went ahead and made them anyway...Delicious so far...in the oven now. Thanks!
  • sallen67
    Options
    Your right, sorry, my apologies

I add some vanilla extract to taste. I think the recipe calls for 1 tsp, but I usually put in a tablespoon full. I really like the vanilla flavor.
  • mgravy
    mgravy Posts: 47
    Options
    bump!