I'm CONSIDERING giving up Starbucks. Alternatives?

Options
healthykae
healthykae Posts: 190 Member
Desperate times call for desperate measures. My coffee intake is consuming approximately 200 calories and 20 grams of sugar each morning and that's with non-fat milk and half the pumps.
It has become blatantly obvious that it's a cycle that needs to be broken. I want big results so I need to make big changes.

What are some alternatives that you have used in the past?

Replies

• Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    I just drink my coffee black...
  • singer7
    singer7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't know if you like it but Clipper green tea with Lemon. All organic, 2 calories, still contains some caffeine and cleanses your digestive system. I was an 8 cup a day girl and a big sugar drinker. switched this Clipper Green tea with lemon (don't like the normal green tea) and now I don't drink any coffee, dropped sugar from all my drinks and lost like 7lbs in a week just by making that change. awesome results!!! :-)
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I LOVE starbuck's - Iced Mocha. My alternative is: My espresso machine at home. Add Blue Diamond unsweetened Almond Milk - I was surprised how good it worked! and Hershey's lite chocolate syrup. I even add a dollip of lite whip cream!! Even at Starbucks, when I go, I'm going to start asking for soy or almond milk. Not as many calories or sugars.
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    Switch to a non-fat, sugar free coffee.. But if you stop starbucks every morning you will for sure be saving money as well... You could try making yourself a protein shake instead... Almond milk 40 cal, chocolate protein powder 50 cal, and one packet of instant coffee (for the caffeine- you could even do two if you wanted) and maybe one packet of splenda..... Total is under 100 cal, and has protein and you can make a ton of drinks with the amount u spend on coffee each week... just an alternative ;) edit: add ice to the protein shake and you have yourself a mocha frapp with protein ;)
  • singer7
    singer7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't know if you like it but Clipper green tea with Lemon. All organic, 2 calories, still contains some caffeine and cleanses your digestive system. I was an 8 cup a day girl and a big sugar drinker. switched this Clipper Green tea with lemon (don't like the normal green tea) and now I don't drink any coffee, dropped sugar from all my drinks and lost like 7lbs in a week just by making that change. awesome results!!! :-)
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    Have a black coffee with some low fat almond milk and add some Agave syrup. ;)
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Just make it at home? :drinker:
  • tiffnday
    tiffnday Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    drinking tea is always a good way to go.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking coffee?
  • flukes9
    flukes9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Giving up Starbuck's is not an option for me, but I do cut back (no whipped cream, nonfat milk, etc.). Instead of going there every day like I used to, I make my coffee at home daily, but use sugar-free vanilla creamer, which is only about 35 calories for my whole cup (and that's using 2 Tbsp, which is a lot!). I'm not willing to give it up, but 35 calories is a big improvement over a 350 calorie handcrafted beverage. (which I occasionally indulge in) It's all about cutting back, not cutting out, things you enjoy. Also, I recommend Celestial Seasonings madagascar vanilla red rooibus tea too, which is sweet (especially if you add a splenda) and is ZERO calories (as an alternative).
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Iced tall soy sugar free caramel latte--no whip. 80 cals.

Iced tall soy latte with 1 pump SF Hazelnut and 1 pump mocha, no whip 105 cals.

If you like the frapps, you can get a cool little blender called Magic Bullet--makes individual size fraps.

BLEND:

3/4 c. ice
    1T. instant or 1/2 c. COLD brewed coffee
    1/2 - 3/4 c. Silk dark chocoloate almond milk
    sometimes half a banana

YUM!

blessings.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    make your own! i use Italian sweet cream flavored creamer and a little milk in my coffee no sugar and it taste just like a vanilla frappuccino (bottled)
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This isn't a suggestion...but more of a motivation to quit drinking Starbucks drinks.... I worked in a Starbucks for a month.... you know that "classic syrup" they have? This is how you make it. You take a container (about 2 times the size of a venti cup) you fill that container with sugar. Then...you put just enough hot water to melt it down. Viola! you have "Classic Syrup".

It's really hard to find substitute for coffee if your used to it. But I hear Tea works well...
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've become a tea snob! :) There are lots of GREAT teas out there (some with a MORE caffinated punch than coffee)! I'm a Stash fan largely, but there are some great Tazo loose leafs out there. Tea is my every-day staple.
    For the occasional coffee fix, I have a Tassimo machine. I order a box or two of gourmet coffee so I can REALLY enjoy something great when I want without going out.

I've also replaced my non-fat mild with unsweetened light almond milk. 1 serving is 45 calories (and 1 serving is a WHOLE CUP). WAY less than non-fat milk.

I find that by drinking teas, you can still have that "coffee house" experience when you go out, but you just made a high calorie beverage into a zero calorie beverage (and you still get your energy boost if you need it).
  • 86chvygrl
    86chvygrl Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,

I also love starbucks. I have limited my self to one coffee a week and I only get the skinny vanilla latte. Its 120 cal for the grande I believe and there is even some protein in it.

Be careful with cutting yourself from the caffeine right away. You could get headaches for a while due to withdrawals. I know I did. Lol it was terrible.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Time to retrain your taste buds. :happy:

There are oooooodles of tea options out there, most with no calories until you start adding sweeteners, etc. If you have to have something in it, my suggestion is cinnamon.

This is a great excuse to start trying different teas and Starbucks has some good ones. My personal favorite is rooibos.
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    I mix a little chocolate mint protein powder with my coffee and a little so delicious coconut milk in. tastes great and filling.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just got off my starbucks kick...my favorite was the skinny soy vanilla lattes...now I make chai tea at home and put 1 cup of almond milk in it...60 calories and it's WAY cheaper
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Here is one more thing that can help:
    Avoid starbucks for 1 week.
    Put into an account the money you would have spent on starbucks each day.
    The average starbucks beverage is about $4. So $4x7= $28
    That's $840/month ON SOMETHING YOUR BODY DOESN'T NEED!
    And that's assuming you get a cheap beverage ONCE a day.

For that money, buy yourself a vacation!
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I could never give up Starbucks totally... but I did give it up every day but one day a week. (Thursday when I have therapy that week, Friday the other weeks.) I make do with office black coffee, ice water, and sometimes tea, and spend the week looking forward to my Starbucks indulgence. =) (Usually a venti nonfat iced chai... and then I use the venti cup for ice water all week... more fun to drink water with a straw!)