No Salt Challenge

Options
meredith6645
meredith6645 Posts: 56 Member
edited March 2016 in Challenges
You'd be surprised how salt effects your body... Challenge is DON'T EAT SALT and DON'T ADD SALT TO YOUR FOOD..... I use "The Dash Diet" all Misses Dash spices NO SALT.... you'll lose some water weight here also.

You'll also see your thirst go down and high blood pressure stabilize.

Who's in?

Replies

• Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am partially in!! I can do the no salting foods or in recipes. but everything has sodium in it so I can cut back. So my goal to join this challenge is to keep my Sodium below my 1500 a day goal! I have HBP so this would help me out a lot. Add me so we can monitor eachother's intake and motivate
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything has sodium, so I'm not sure this is possible. Also, we need sodium in our bodies even if a lot of people get way more than they need (sometimes to a point where it creates long-term health problems like an increased risk of heart disease). Nonetheless, no salt is an unhealthy idea and an unsafe idea that would be very difficult (if not impossible) to accomplish without forgoing necessary nutrition.

I suggest changing/clarifying this to not adding salt to food.
  • meredith6645
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Of course our body need salt... and their is already salt added to the foods that we are making.... I'm actually talking about not adding no more salt on top of what is already there instead just use mrs. Dash or any other spice of your choice.,. and that is not detrimental to your health it is actually extremely healthy I do understand that we all need a certain amount of salt in our bodies and there is salt that is already put into Foods... there's no need for us to add any more salt and it doesn't let me edit it that's because I already edited once
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I'm not convinced that adding other spices is "extremely healthy." It would probably depend on what micro-nutrients are in those spices and whether it is something I need.

What if a recipe calls for salt? Would we still add salt when cooking or not? I'm just trying to clarify exactly what this challenge includes. I can join for not adding salt to prepared food for the month of April. I'm not sure I can always exclude salt when cooking... sometimes the purpose of adding salt is in order to better regulate temperature or to create some effect outside of just for taste.
  • meredith6645
    Options
    Why can't you just like something the way that it tastes naturally a lot of things we've already have salt in it there's no need to add anymore and when I'm talking about herbs and spices I'm talking about mrs. Dash or by some that is fresh it's not that hard having too much salt in your body causes high blood pressure you gain water weight and I learned it all the hard way nobody taught me that when I stopped eating unnecessary salt the pounds just melted off of me I'm just sharing it with everybody and hopes they want might want to try it if you don't want to do it don't do it but trust me it's going to better your health not make it any worse than what it already is
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Personally if salt is in a recipe, I don't add it. but that's just me, in most savory foods Garlic gives me that salty flavor, and I don't really bake so i don't add it to cookie/cakes...
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Do you have high blood pressure that requires you to be on a low salt diet? Otherwise, I wouldn't suggest this as a healthy "challenge"... your body needs some amount of salt...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @meredith6645 I'm just suggesting clarification... there is no need to get defensive. I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but that there are factors to consider in order to make a "no salt" challenge work.

So here is where I am with this challenge: For April, I won't add salt to prepared foods. Also for April, I will make a reasonable effort to avoid adding salt during cooking and to be mindful of the reason it is needed in a recipe before adding it.
  • vimothblack
    vimothblack Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in. Let's hope someone in 2017 would like to do this too =)