Weightloss Challenges for those in Relationships

Options
Hi everyone! I'm a 23 year old from CT. My goal is to lose 30 pounds total (I've already lost 4 since I started at the beginning of March). Mainly, I want to lose 18 more pounds before my cruise at the end of August. I wanted to start a message board about the challenges of losing weight when you're in a relationship. I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now, and even though he supports me, I've found it hard to eat healthy when we're together. We live far apart, and we usually spend weekends together, so when we do see each other, we end up going out to eat in order to spend some quality time together. If one of us is craving something, I find it hard to stick to my guns when I'm with him. Lately, we've been cooking more and exercising together, but I still find it challenging some days. Does anyone else have this problem? I feel like I eat healthy and exercise all week, and over the weekend, I lose a lot of progress I've made. Please comment if you have any words of wisdom, and add me if you'd like to help motivate each other!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Why is time spent at a restaurant considered higher quality than spending the same time in the kitchen actually doing something productive together?
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Since you only see him on weekends you may find it helpful to keep a larger deficit during the week to allow for restaurant foods and treats on the weekend. But don't make weekends a free for all...eat within reason. Perhaps one meal at a restaurant and a few small treats. Or, as the previous posted mentioned, spend time in the kitchen cooking together. I personally love cooking with my man, we throw on some music and cook up some awesome meals together.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both have this problem. We do so well thru the week and then when we are together we just have no will power. I didn't even think about leaving a deficit thru the week so on the weekends its not such a blow to my progress.

As for this post...

Why is time spent at a restaurant considered higher quality than spending the same time in the kitchen actually doing something productive together?

She didn't say it was a higher quality. Just that that is what they chose to do together. Here's my suggestion...
    plan a date night. If you decide to go out to eat and it is not going to be a really healthy choice, off set that with some type of fun exercise...something that gets you up and moving - maybe dancing or something like a trampoline park. It would offset some of the calories and you are still spending time together.

• sullivank792
    sullivank792 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    str8bowbabe and Kimo159 - Thank you! I like your suggestions!

concordancia - No, I did not say it was higher* quality time. However, we are both young and in school, living at home with our parents. So sometimes, it is nicer to go out and have alone time together. I should have shared this bit before. We still cook dinner usually once every weekend, but we end up getting take out or going out to eat a lot so we can spend time together without our families around. That's what makes it challenging.