Pre-exercise supplements

Options
Hi, I am currently working out in the morning before eating breakfast. I have started a new work out routine and noticed that I run out of energy about half way through the work out. I know part of this is because of the shape that I currently am in (or lack there of), but wondered if an energy supplement would be beneficial at these early stages? I am also wanting to be sensitive to my sugar intake and am afraid a supplement may make me nauseous during my work out on an otherwise empty stomach. Anyone have any advice or good/bad experiences?

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Just eat something before working out, like an apple. You don't need a supplement, you body simply needs some carbs to fuel your workout.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Bananas work wonders.
  • Julien321
    Julien321 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different in their tolerance of food before exercise. Forget buying any expensive pre exercise supplements. The best way is to eat an Apple, banana or other serving of fresh fruit before. Fresh fruit doesn't count as added sugar. Since the sugars are locked in the fiber it is released slowly and will help fuel your glycogen needs through your workout.

Make sure to eat after too consuming some quality protein.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I find a banana or a slice of high fiber toast with a tbsp of nut butter makes a huge difference.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do C4 pre workout $25 a month and a banana for my weight lifting session which starts at 5am then come home slam 16 ounces of milk, a scoop of protein and ride my stationary bike for 50 min about 20 miles then get to work and eat a 700-1000 calorie sandwich typically 100 grams of protein before 9am. Love an active lifestyle
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I only drink a cup of coffee before lifting in the AM.