Need a plan for weight loss and strength building

Options
So currently I'm a 34 year old female, weighing in at 220 pounds and 47% body fat. If I had a magic genie, I'd love to look like a fitness model. Realistically, I'd like to have as much muscle definition that I can keep by going to the gym maximum of 3-4 times a week (not sure what that would be visually). I don't have a goal weight because I've always been large (just increasing since 150s in middle school), and never had any... surplus muscle of any kind. Not sure how else to put that, but I hope you follow me.

I'm sick of being unhealthy, because I'm at the point where I can really feel it now, breathing hard after walking up my driveway or just feel uncomfortable in my own skin in all my clothes that are too tight. I work as a nurse, so I do a lot of walking 3-4 nights/week, but I've compensated for that by increasing my bad food choices and amounts. Otherwise I'm pretty sedentary around the house.

I had some success with whole 30/paleo/clean eating which I'd like to go back to. I usually would stop each attempt after a month or two with 1-2 cheat days that spiraled into weeks. So I want to try again, with exercise, and for keeps this time.

But as I want to be either/both strong and a bit buff (really not sure which I want more at this time, since I know sometimes they are not perfectly combine-able), I'm not sure where to start. Should I just do something like treadmill or other cardio on my exercise days? Or should I do some weight machines alternatively, or instead? I know strength training can help weight loss, but I'm not sure where my ratio would be. Also, my only gym option is Planet Fitness, so nothing like free weights as far as I know. Should I maybe just focus on weight loss and then worry about the other side when I proved I could do it and then hire a personal trainer (that I wouldn't waste money if I have another start-stop situation at the beginning of this)?

Would really appreciate any advice you all can give, or stories based on any kind of similar experiences! Thanks much :)

Replies

• lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Why not start with something you like to do? It is easier to stick with an exercise plan if you like it. If you are comfortable on the treadmill, start there and as you get stronger, add in some work with weight machines. Does your gym help you to develop a work out plan? If so, schedule an appointment to get some help putting together a plan.
  • Matthewdouglas0
    Matthewdouglas0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I (34/m) started at probably around 50% body fat and almost 400 pounds, with the beginning of what you're talking about-out of breath, struggling to put on socks, etc. I've lost about 120 pounds, and I would recommend that you don't worry about the exercise part yet. You have to walk the length of a football field to burn off the calories in a single m&m. Therefore, you're far better off focusing on what to eat--and not to eat, when you've got a large amount to lose.

With that said, I'd start with just tracking what you're eating and trying to hit a calorie goal. A big mistake most people make is trying to immediately cut down to 1,200 calories a day hoping for the fastest weight loss possible. Right now at 47% body fat and reasonably active, you probably need about 3,500 calories a day to stay the weight you are now. That means a 1,000 calorie deficit per day would be 2,500 calories per day. That's about the biggest deficit you want to do, and at that number you should lose about 10 pounds a month, and realistically in the first month you could probably lose 10-15 pounds.

At any rate, good luck and hang in there. I also recommend the FAQ on the website www.reddit.com/r/loseit
  • cide0n
    cide0n Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I think I will try to go to the gym for the treadmill just to keep myself moving, but really focus more on my diet. You make a good point Matthew, I had tried a few weeks ago to cut to like 1200-1500 calories and just could not keep it up!