not sure how active I am, help?

Options
CristinaCalifri1103
CristinaCalifri1103 Posts: 10 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone,

I have been having trouble figuring out it I'm active or lightly active.

This is my schedule.
I'm a college student so:
Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs: drive to school, I walk to classes on campus

Exercise:
Mon, Wed, Fri: high intensity circuit training, a lot of jump and resistance moves in 4, 7 minute circuits.
I normally burn a little over 200cals according to my HRM
Tues, Thurs:
I do 15 minutes of HIIT
I normally burn 150-160

work:
I work mostly Saturdays, and Sundays,
sometimes the occasional weekday.
I am a banquet hall server so, I serve food at big events like weddings.. etc. walking back and fourth from tables and kitchen.

SO that's my schedule. My boyfriend is a strength and conditioning coach with Equinox and he tells me I am active, but I am not sure.

I'm talking about going by MFP standards here

Thank you!
Cristina :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your activity level on MFP is independent of your exercise. Pick an activity level that you think best reflects your non-exercise activity and then log your exercise.

Don't worry too much about getting it perfect. If you lose faster than you expect, you can adjust your activity level upward. If you lose more slowly than you expect, you can adjust it downward.
  • CristinaCalifri1103
    Options
    I have it on lightly active, So I guess my question is, What is my activity level based on my exercise?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would do sedentary, then log the exercise. If you're really active at work, maybe eat a little more if you feel like it. You could probably get away with lightly active as well.

If you want to include exercise, if you're only doing it three days a week, I'd probably keep it at lightly active. Possibly moderately active depending on how intense and long your workouts are.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I have it on lightly active, So I guess my question is, What is my activity level based on my exercise?

If you're "going by MFP standards," you have no activity level based on exercise. MFP's activity levels specifically exclude it. I'm unsure what you are asking.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Put it on lightly active if you log your calorie burn from the exercises. Put it on active if you do not log them, or log them as 1 calorie.
  • CristinaCalifri1103
    Options
    I forgot to add in that I do 15 minutes of HIIT on Tuesdays and Thursday. (ill edit that)

What I mean is, When you make an account, they ask you if you're "active" "lightly active" "sedentary" etc...
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I forgot to add in that I do 15 minutes of HIIT on Tuesdays and Thursday. (ill edit that)

What I mean is, When you make an account, they ask you if you're "active" "lightly active" "sedentary" etc...

When they ask that question, they mean excluding your exercise. You log your exercise on MFP as it happens. You don't include it in your daily activity level.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Most people are sedentary, and spend a lot of the day sitting. For you, I'd say go with lightly active. You are on your feet for a good part of the day, doing a lot of walking around. You're not digging ditches or carrying bags of cement all day, but you're moving around a lot.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    unless you get 10k steps in a day without exercise you are not active.

Per this article
    1) <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

MFP activity level is to be set without exercise being used to determine it because you log your exercise and eat back calories.

Your "job" is weekends only and not consistent so that doesn't count a bunch, walking to classes might then sitting through them...

I would personally put you at sedentary or lightly active (which I think is a reach).
  • heatherdoll40
    heatherdoll40 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    unless you get 10k steps in a day without exercise you are not active.

Per this article
    1) <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

Just trolling through and saw this post. Thanks for that info. I thought I was pretty active until I got a cheapo activity tracker( that I love) and saw I don't move as much as I thought I did at work. I try to get more walking in everyday. Unfortunately it doesn't track stairs or walking in dry sand or the odd stuff I do at work.