How do you get started losing weight?

Options
So I've been trying to lose weight for about 3 years and I never stuck with it. I'm now committed to the thought of changing my entire lifestyle. I'm not sure of what I should be eating and how often I should be eating it. Any help would be appreciated. Also I'm trying to target losing fat from my midsection and wanted to know the best exercises for that. Thanks!

Replies

• Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You can't target where you lose from. You can only eat less than you burn! Look in success stories, make some friends, and check out some open diaries. Mine is open :) I do not restrict any foods I just stay within my calorie goal for weight loss and I exercise for health and a tight butt!! Good luck and welcome!!
  • shannonc1115
    shannonc1115 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Getting started is the hardest ... that is where I was having trouble.
    After losing 2 grandparents and just being overwhelmed with life for a couple weeks, I went waaaaay off the rails.
    I started a biggest loser contest at work which helped me get started. 8 weeks in and close to 15 pounds lost. After the first 5 I was able to start running again.
    So - competition, support and a fitbit doesn't hurt :wink:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    Just start logging and log everyday, even if you go over your calories. The more you log the more committed you will be. I wouldn't worry so much about what to eat as look at the portion sizes of the things that you already eat. If you don't have a food scale then you should really consider getting one. You can get one at Wal-Mart or Amazon for $10-$15. I started out just logging everything I ate and trying to stay at my calorie goal. As I went on I found that some foods were better at keeping me satisfied than others. I try to make sure I get plenty of protien and fiber so I'm not hungry. I have also realized that you don't have to be full to not be hungry. I also started walking every day and I have added in some yoga, but what you eat is more important than exercise especially in the beginning. I also don't restrict any foods. I eat what I like and make it fit. And you cannot spot reduce. I really wish you could, but it just doesn't happen that way. So far I have lost 38 pounds of my 60 pound goal. I think the last 22 pounds are all sitting on my belly. Take measurements and pictures in addition to weighing yourself. Sometimes that helps to see progress. I know I've lost over 8 inches from my stomach even though it does seem like the weight is coming off every where but there. Good luck! You can do this!
  • eyeshinebright
    eyeshinebright Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've yo-yoed with weight for a long time, and not going to lie, it's difficult to form habits that turn into life style changes. For me, small changes over time works the best. I use smaller plates (smaller portions), I consciously eat more protein and fiber, I measure out my food and plug foods into my diary. Some times I log an entire day of meals into my diary and see how many calories add up and I'll make substitutions. Food swaps work for me as well -- like sweet potato fries instead of regular French fries.

If I have a real cheat day it's no big deal, I just compensate in other areas or for the rest of the week.

Also drink lots of water and green tea. I struggle with water intake but I'm working on it.

Just being more active in your daily life will help over time too. Taking the stairs or getting off a stop early on transit or parking your car far away, are all little things that will help.

Best of luck, don't beat yourself up too hard and just try to make small changes one at a time and you'll make progress.
  • bigorange70
    bigorange70 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    One thing I can say is try not to stress over everything you eat. Put all your stats into MFP and just try your best to measure and weigh all your food. You will have some bad days and then some good days but just keep plugging along and you will see results. Just stay the course and good luck on your journey.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP - you've made a great first step just being here! :smile:

Check out the posts listed here, to get you started:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

Take your time, figure out what works for you, and don't panic if the weight doesn't come off as fast as you'd like or if it seems to stall for a while. If you want to keep it off, you have to find a lifestyle that will work for you long term, so take that into consideration if you're thinking about cutting out certain foods etc.

Good luck - you can do it!
  • pigeonpostm
    pigeonpostm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I've been trying to lose weight for about 3 years and I never stuck with it. I'm now committed to the thought of changing my entire lifestyle. I'm not sure of what I should be eating and how often I should be eating it. Any help would be appreciated. Also I'm trying to target losing fat from my midsection and wanted to know the best exercises for that. Thanks!

Hello, I have found the best way is to log everything I eat. I also log my exercise daily. The best way is to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I started back on Oct 18th at 192lbs and have lost 46 pounds up to date. I am now at 146 lbs. I try and look at each pound as a success. I look at losing 5 lb increments at a time, which helps me to keep going. I went from a size 14 to a size 7. I exercise daily for 30 minutes, Treadmill or Healthryder, I trade off every other day on these machines. I do more strength training about 45- 60 minutes a day. Muscle weighs more than fat, so remember if you are strength training and the scale does not move, it does not mean you are not losing, you should go by how your clothes fit. I strength train upper half of body one day & lower half the next day. I also incorporate Leg Lifts, Lunges, Crunches and a couple other different exercises. Make sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water this is very important!! Just remember it did not take a month or two to put on the weight be patience and it WILL come off!! Good Luck I know you can do it, especially if I can as a 52 year old female. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Set up your MFP data for a slow loss, to start with. Weigh and log everything you eat, estimate and log if necessary (like when you eat at others' homes). Use the nutrition info on chain restaurants web sites to plan your meals out. Try to hit the calorie goal MFP gives you, but don't beat yourself up if you don't (particularly at first, when you're learning).

Review your log daily to see where your larger calorie contributions are coming from. Decide which things are worth the calories they cost, in terms of satisfaction & nutrition. If they don't seem worthwhile, reduce or eliminate some of those foods, and introduce new ones that better meet your objectives (filling, nutritious, etc.). Make friends here, and look at people's diaries to see how they do it. Ask them questions about things you're interested in.

Think about how you feel daily, too, maybe put something in the "notes" area of MFP. Do you notice patterns? How does your sleep affect your appetite and eating? Your activity level? The number of times per day that you eat, or the times of day you get the most calories? The specific types of food (protein, healthy fat, fiber)? The amount of water or other non-caloric drinks you consume? Over time, adjust the factors you can control, to feel more satisfied/satiated and energetic. This is a gradual process.

Next, learn a little bit about macronutrients and micronutrients. Try to get enough protein & healthy fats. Try to get vitamins, minerals, antioxidants (mostly just by eating a range of fruits and vegetables). Try new things to see what you like, and keep the nutritious, filling, tasty, worth-their-calories ones in your way of eating.

If you have quite a bit of weight to lose, consider adjusting your loss rate to something more aggressive, if you think it will be sustainable over the long haul. You don't want to be so fixated on losing fast that you have trouble with overeating temptations as a consequence. Know the maintenance calorie level for your goal weight - even if your goal weight is a guess - and gradually try to learn how to eat happily at that level. Allow for some treats, ones that are important to you. Allow for some extra eating at celebratory special occasions.

If you think you'd like being more active, try an activity that sounds fun, and try it long enough to get past any initial unfamiliarity/discomfort/anxiety that may occur. If you then don't like it, try something else. Find some more-active things to do that are fun for you to continue - those are the ones you'll stick with. They may change over time - that's OK. Eat back some of the calories from the exercise - maybe start with 50% or so.

As you get closer to goal weight, decrease your loss rate - there's only a certain amount of fat your body can burn per day.

Stay on target most of the time, if you have an off day don't beat yourself up, just get back on your healthy track. Stick with it. Eventually you'll reach your goal, and you will've learned what you need to know in order to stay there.

And do read those "stickies" - the permanent posts under the "Most Helpful Posts" topic in the forum categories, especially in "Getting Started" and "General Diet & Weight Loss". There's a wealth of useful information there.
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I started out using this 7 day meal plan (adjusted to my tastes) this helped jump start my weight loss and once it started coming off I was really motivated!

http://bitchindietitian.com/skinny-dish-7-day-detox/
  • ElviraMarieCerri
    ElviraMarieCerri Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I sneak up on anything I "should" do, since I am resistant to everything. Start logging everything you eat, without trying to accomplish anything. Then, once you've got that ( I have a lying-to-myself issue), then have a look at it and see what small changes you can make without feeling deprived. Go for a walk and log it. When you are comfortable with that, perhaps see a nutritionist and take a print out of your log. She can help you by providing places to change your diet to lose some weight. I am NOT a joiner or a rah-rah person, and generally shy away from groups, but you need to look at how you are motivated, and stay true to your own personality.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    smit7633 wrote: »
    I started out using this 7 day meal plan (adjusted to my tastes) this helped jump start my weight loss and once it started coming off I was really motivated!

http://bitchindietitian.com/skinny-dish-7-day-detox/

Whatever floats your boat, but this approach seems unnecessarily restrictive. Also, there's no such thing as "detoxing" through diet.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything I eat.

Drink your water each day.

Exercise, even if you just walk.

Eat lots of veggies, fruits, nuts, eggs, fish, chicken

Remember that you are human. You will have good days and bad days. Just keep on chugging along. Don't sweat the bad days. Just track the food and learn from it.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Stay within the calorie goal that MFP gives you, log everything accurately, and you should steadily lose until before you know it the weight will be gone! It doesn't happen overnight or exactly the same every week, but if you are doing it right, you lose. If you get frustrated, take measurements (weight loss doesn't always show on the scale) You can't target where you lose the fat, though. That will just happen. My belly fat slowly started showing signs of going away a few months in. I still have a little bit left but a normal amount for a female at my age.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I pretty much just eat whatever, within my calorie goal. The only difference between now and when I started is I try to make sure to get enough protein.

82173306.png
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Here is a thread that just started in the nutrition debate section - would be good to read and follow:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10362982/getting-rid-of-stubborn-fat
  • heatherdoll40
    heatherdoll40 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started a long time ago my daughter was big into fitness and told me about mfp. I used it regularly until my computer died, I sure didn't want any of that logging my weight and food even kinda sorta available for my husband to see so I stopped. Now I have tablets and smart phones with me all the time so it's easy to log everything as I eat. What got me going again? I bought an expensive pair of rubber boots and my legs were to fat to fit in them. I started back up secretly, when people started to notice they started asking why? Oddly enough when people ask why and I tell them they ask why I didn't cut the boots._ seriously if I'm to fat to fit in muck boots I need to fix me not the boots. My goal is 160 I'll get there slowly by walking and eating less.