Running Comfort Question

Options
I am currently training to run a 10k in May. My problem is that I have formed calluses on the outside of my big toes and when I run for any length of time (2+ miles) they rub and start to hurt. I have tried moleskin and have even doubled the layers with no luck. Will running socks help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Wider shoes?
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A different lacing pattern might help.

• trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Running socks are only going to help you if you are switching from thick socks to thin socks. You would probably do better with wider shoes or shoes with a wider toe box, if your current shoes fit in the heal and in length.

Some callusing is normal, but if it is painful then you likely have excessive rubbing from shoes that are too snug. Adding moleskin or double moleskin is just going to make the fit tighter and might cause issues for your 4th and 5th toes.

One thing to keep in mind when trying on running shoes is that the forces involved with running will make your toe splay out wider, so you want a loser fit in the toes than what you have in shoes that you just walk around in.
  • Julien321
    Julien321 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Running shoes should be about 1 size larger than your other shoes. Your feet swell when running and your toes should not touch the end of your shoes. Also do you pronate?
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Finding the right running shoes for you is huge. Nikes tend to run a little narrow, you might try Asics. Or, ideally, if you live near a big city you can probably find a local store dedicated to running shoes, where they will measure your feet and analyze your stride, and recommend a good shoe for you.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    +2 for getting your shoes properly fitted
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    This may sound blindingly obvious but you need to treat the calluses and eliminate the cause to deal with the issue long term (overly tight shoes etc.)

So, get some over the counter treatments to see if that works or if not see a podiatrist.

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I would try a different lacing pattern before getting new shoes if you're not up to spending the money right now. Google something like "lacing pattern toe problems." I would like to mention, though, when you do get new shoes, I strongly suggest going to a running store and getting fitted for your next pair if you have yet to be fitted properly. The will measure your feet, and you can tell them your problems with your current shoes and discuss with them what you find you are most comfortable in, and they will help find a pair that is a good fit for you.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't agree that running shoes should be a size larger than your regular shoes. But you may need a different brand/model shoe, and maybe you need a wider shoe.
    Have you tried keeping those calluses trimmed?
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you are going to try to trim your calluses avoid devices with blades, as they can slice too deep and cause bigger problems.

Start out with a luffa or a pumice stone, soak your feet prior to using or use them during your bath/shower. My personal experience is that with a pumice stone you want to soak the calluses less than with the luffa. The first time I used the pumice stone it peeled the callus off and ended up exposing sensitive skin beneath it. You definitely want to go easy to start with. The luffa is more forgiving, but can also be nearly ineffective on some calluses.

Your goal is not to remove the callus completely but to reduce the thickness.

Just remember that a callus is your body responding to pressure and rubbing and trying to prevent blisters.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Invest in a coupl of pairs of running socks. They might not be solely responsible for causing your blisters but you will have more in your future if you are running in poor quality socks.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Proper shoe fit and socks notwithstanding, I'm a big fan of BodyGlide to prevent and paper tape if they should occur.
  • debbie14892
    debbie14892 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. Point well taken with the wider toe. May try BodyGlide first to see if this helps before the new sneakers.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @debbie14892 Wider shoes, check out Injinji toe socks. Sounds ridiculous, but the are magical. Seriously. Band aid w/ duck tape strips to hold the band aid in place while running. Should be fine in 2 days.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you could do with a wider toebox.
    Alternatively Bodyglide is awesome.
    I have some twin-skin running socks which are great for avoiding blisters.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hilly-twin-skin-socklet-1/
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am currently training to run a 10k in May. My problem is that I have formed calluses on the outside of my big toes and when I run for any length of time (2+ miles) they rub and start to hurt. I have tried moleskin and have even doubled the layers with no luck. Will running socks help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. Running socks will wick moisture and keep the foot more stable so there's less friction against the side of the shoe. I used to have a lot of issues with my big toe calluses and found a decent layer of Vaseline works well also.

+1 for different lacing techniques as well.