Hunger and reaching calories

Options
This might seem like a crazy post since usually I feel like everyone posts about how they're always hungry (including myself at times) BUT there are other days where I'm seriously struggling to want to eat and get to my calorie goal so I'm not in "starvation mode" esp. as my workouts are picking up. Anyone else going through this?

I do usually do plan my meals which helps a little but there have been a lot of times where I have zero appitite! And no I'm not on any meds ... I do drink a lot of water, etc. :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" isn't a thing, but there are lots of good reasons to ensure you're eating enough.

Things like oil, nuts/nut butter, avocado, chocolate, ice cream, and wine tend to go down really easily when you have extra calories for the day but you aren't too hungry. Even when I'm not very hungry, it's easy to add some olive oil to my vegetables or some diced avocado to a salad. A glass of wine, if you drink, is about 120 calories for five ounces and is a great way to round out a dinner.
  • GiGiJam80
    GiGiJam80 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like the way you think ... I can def. do a glass of wine with dinner! I also do like avocado! I'm not a fan of ice cream but I do have dark chocolate every night (mind you a half a piece). :)
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Some people add calories in order to hit their goal, as janejellyroll suggested. I don't add calories or eat extra if I am not hungry. So, if I have a day where I only eat 800-1000 gross calories, I just feel less guilty about the extra drink I will have a few days later, or the unplanned trip to buffalo wild wings. Now, I only have these days about 2 or 3 times per month, and I have days where I eat close to maintenance at least 2 or 3 times per month, so it evens out. If you are feeling like you can't hit your goal more than that (like, 2 or 3 days out of each week), then I agree that you should fill those calories with something like oil, peanut butter, etc... Do not go under your goal too often. A few times a month is fine,a few times a week - too many.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I only ate back about half of my exercise calories yesterday (burned over 1000) but got home late after the pool and just trusted my appetite. They can always be taken the following day if you really need them. Often that's when I'm hungrier.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Me too - for my goals, I am told to eat at 1200 cals daily, but a lot of days I dont make that level. Not on purpose, mind you - just life gets in the way. So I dont try to load up to reach that level - I just accept that there will be days when I am slightly over 1200 and it will work out. I've lost almost 60lbs since Oct 2015 this way.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I never have this problem, I always want to eat.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    gjamaldi wrote: »
    This might seem like a crazy post since usually I feel like everyone posts about how they're always hungry (including myself at times) BUT there are other days where I'm seriously struggling to want to eat and get to my calorie goal so I'm not in "starvation mode" esp. as my workouts are picking up. Anyone else going through this?

I do usually do plan my meals which helps a little but there have been a lot of times where I have zero appitite! And no I'm not on any meds ... I do drink a lot of water, etc. :)

You won't go in to starvation mode just because you don't eat. If you aren't hungry then you aren't hungry. We aren't supposed to eat when we aren't hungry. :)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode isn't a "thing", but I have days where I eat super light in the morning and lunch, then I have 1,000 calories to use up for dinner and snack. Really depends on how busy I am. Ice Cream, wine, beer and other things that i love are what I fill in the gaps with.