Running Nerves

Options
A year ago I was training for my first 1/2 marathon.. I was at my goal weight and had never felt better. Then unfortunately I became very sick and in the hospital for a week where I was diagnosed with ulcerative colits... I have spent the entire winter in a slump and slowly putting weight back on..

Today I decided that I've had enough.. I am so envious when I see others out running and am dying to get back into it. So I printed off a 12 week 1/2 marathon training schedule for beginners. Tonight's my first run and I'm supposed to run 2 miles. A year ago I would step out the door and would run 8 miles for fun... but for some reason I am sooo nervous about running a measly 2.. I know it seems so silly...but I have been sitting here for the last half hour with butterflies in my stomach knowing that as soon as my husband gets home from work and can keep an eye on our daughter it will be time for me to go do it....I don't know what I'm so afraid of?

Replies

• wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us.” -Marianne Williamson

The first run back after an extended time of is always a time of anxiety for me. I know for me it was not wanting to really know how where I was currently because I could still think about where I was previously.
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Just started back runnig in the past couple weeks. Today was the first day that realy felt good. just take a deep breath and go!
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I feel you!

I gave up running just after school and went back sometime last year. At first I was fine but then after an accident I was out all winter (mostly on crutches) and only this week started back properly. I'm trying out the C25K programme to get me back into it and I honestly feel pathetic cause I'm having such a hard time compared to what I used to run. I am also so nervous I won't get any better haha.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels that way! But seriously what can I be so afraid of? If I get too tired I will stop and walk...then go a little further the next time. After all that is how I got where I was in the first place!

xoxox and good luck to everyone else who is just starting out or starting over like me :)