Foot Cramps - ruining my workouts!!!

Options
I have been struggling with cramps in the arches/tops of my feet for the past few months, usually towards the end of the day. I wear loafers at work but have added some padded insoles even though I sit most of the day. But even when I put on my Nikes at home (also with insoles) my feet start cramping. Sometimes it's so bad I want to cry! Heat pad or hot water helps a little.
Last night was my first time at the gym in months (since starting my desk job) & I started with walking on the treadmill for 1 mile, it was fine. Then I did some body weight squats & crunches, my feet hurt so bad I had to stop & go home! It really sucked.
I know I have larger feet (I'm tall, can't help it!) & I wear an in-between size so I usually get a half size bigger. My feet may be on the flat side. I've tried all kinds of expensive insoles & nothing seems to help. I've read up on muscle cramps in general, but is there something I can change with my footwear that might help? I started eating bananas every day for potassium & I drink lots of water. Not sure what else I can do! Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    lay on the bed on your back straight legs and point your toes to the ceiling every morning. - and make sure you have arch support in your shoes - sounds like planter fatuitis . fallen arches
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some shoes that tie instead of something that slips on and see if that helps. I know I get the worst food cramps when I've been wearing flip flops or sandals. I would think a loafer would be stable enough, but if you are wearing them large, you may be bunching your foot up in the shoe to keep in on without even realizing it. You could also try a magnesium supplement and see if that helps.
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    magnisium might help too.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    @eep223 I think you might be right! I just got up to walk around & it does feel like I'm kind of trying to keep my shoe on as I walk by bending my toes. Eff being in between sizes, I can't win! Definitely looking for new shoes though.
  • chrisso802016
    chrisso802016 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @Ginny218, I'm not Doctor, but I thought Planter fatuitis affected the bottom of the foot? Or it does with me, when I've had it clinically diagnosed.

@karla24687, I cant suggest anything, because I have incredibly flat feet, so I hurt every where. I would definitely look into what eep223 suggested, and wear laced up shoes.
  • jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I suggest going to a podiatrist. I went to one when I was having issues with the top of my foot, and based on his suggestions, I no longer have any pain.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    @Ginny218, I'm not Doctor, but I thought Planter fatuitis affected the bottom of the foot? Or it does with me, when I've had it clinically diagnosed.

@karla24687, I cant suggest anything, because I have incredibly flat feet, so I hurt every where. I would definitely look into what eep223 suggested, and wear laced up shoes.

you're correct, plantar fasciitis is a disorder that results in pain in the heel and bottom of the foot. The plantar fascia is a long, thin ligament that lies directly beneath the skin on the bottom of your foot. It connects the heel to the front of your foot, and supports the arch.

perhaps, if your budget allows it, consider getting fit for orthotics?
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you're consuming a lot of water enhancers or soda, you might be getting too much citric acid. It's easy to get too much if you're drinking it.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Spending a lot of money on shoes and insoles does not mean you are getting products that will alleviate pain and problems. In fact if they are the wrong type for your unique foot it could make matters worse. For example someone with flat feet wearing motion control shoes designed for someone with high arches is going to feel the pain of their own weight trying to bend their foot across that high arch support.

Since this sounds like an on going issue that you have still not figured out, I second the recommendation to see a podiatrist. In the end it is cheaper to get sound medical advice from a professional than advice from strangers that have not seen your feet or from someone in a shoe store that likely does not have any real training in foot mechanics.

When I was having some foot issues my podiatrist had me pickup a couple pairs of Powerstep insoles that he then added some felt to and made them into semi-customized insoles. Now I just make sure to get shoes that provide the right type of support for my feet and I don't have to bother with any kind of after-market insoles.

Of course sometimes you have to accept that some types of shoes will be off limits unless you want to deal with pain.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Dehydration can also cause this. Are you drinking enough water?
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Sorry just saw that you drink lots of water.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    karla24687 wrote: »
    @eep223 I think you might be right! I just got up to walk around & it does feel like I'm kind of trying to keep my shoe on as I walk by bending my toes. Eff being in between sizes, I can't win! Definitely looking for new shoes though.

I hope it helps!
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Do you have to clench your toes to keep your shoes on? That's what usually does it for me, so I usually avoid ballet flats, slippers and flip flops.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    If you are unable to get relief from new shoes, perhaps a trip to a physical therapist may help. I occasionally suffer from cramping issues in my feet and calf muscles. Typically, it has been caused by one muscle group (arches, Plantar fascia) compensating for an imbalance or lack of recruitment of another muscle group to perform the work(running, squats, etc.). With those types of issues, I've had great results from PT. My therapist has been good at figuring out the underlying issues that are causing the muscles to cramp, and then making recommendations for various exercises and self message techniques to strengthen or sooth the affected muscle groups. I'm also wondering if a counter stretching routine prior to exercise might help, too, but I'm certainly not a doctor or therapist.

Hope you find relief quickly.
  • sy8jr8p
    sy8jr8p Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had those problems then a couple of years ago i was fitted with orthopedic inserts and i can now run without cramps or spams in my feet or calves. After really long runs i get them sometimes from muscle fatigue but my overall quality of life is better. You may have imbalances that need corrected.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I use a product called Biofreeze on really tired crampy muscles. I first found it when I was pregnant with my twins!
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    First, as other posters mentioned, check your shoes!

I often get foot cramps, but I can minimize them with magnesium supplements, especially when I've been very active/sweated a lot.

They tend to occur at the end of an intense workout, when I do some stretches. Usually I only have 1 or 2 magnesium tablets a week and they disappear. Until I forget the magnesium for a couple weeks in a row, lol.