Newbie!

Options
OK! I'm ready..I'm ready... I think...!! Heres to a healthier life and more activity! Now if I could only figure out how to run without feeling like I'm going to die. Any pointers?

Replies

• Bella0608
    Bella0608 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome
    Sorry cant help you there lol
    good luck :smile:
  • yorkeyg
    yorkeyg Posts: 7
    Options
    welcome
    i i feel am going to die every time to, but am told it passes ,
  • CierraEstelle
    CierraEstelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just run for one minute, walk for three. Then run for one minute, walk for three. And it still pretty much kills me. Running isn't very good for your knees anyway, have you ever considered Race Walking? :)
  • SimplyMrsBlue
    Options
    No, I haven't tried race walking..sounds interesting though. I was trying to do the Couch to 5k program.
  • kashia09
    kashia09 Posts: 15
    Options
    let me know when you figure the how not to feel like dying part out :)
  • SimplyMrsBlue
    Options
    Kashia-lol you'll be the first since you're my only friend on here
  • CierraEstelle
    Options
    Race walking is basically walking literally as fast as you can without jogging. Some people hold hand weights in each hand when they do it. It's like you're gonna break into a jog at any moment lol. I heard about it from Dr. Oz, that's one of the things he does for exercise, because its much better for your knees. I don't wanna be hard on my knees because I wanna still be able to walk when I get old, lol.
  • SimplyMrsBlue
    Options
    Race walking is basically walking literally as fast as you can without jogging. Some people hold hand weights in each hand when they do it. It's like you're gonna break into a jog at any moment lol. I heard about it from Dr. Oz, that's one of the things he does for exercise, because its much better for your knees. I don't wanna be hard on my knees because I wanna still be able to walk when I get old, lol.
    I hear ya! My knees hate me already and I'm only 25....AH! I've learned a GREAT pair of running/walking shoes is CRUCIAL and worth the expense! Goodluck!!!!
  • CierraEstelle
    Options
    Good luck to you too! I'm almost 23 now, and my knees pop like every day if I squat down to do something, so I'm trying to go easy on them. Not to mention my mom is 60 and had to get both hips and a knee replaced, and me and her have the exact same body type so I'm trying to protect myself for the future.
  • Autumn_P
    Autumn_P Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP... the support on here is great! Good luck on your journey. I sent you a friend req. As for the running start slow and work your way up. I'm trying to get into running. It's hard! And like the others said, do intervals of running (jogging) and walking.
  • Cassidy_8395
    Options
    I know how you feel when i first started running i thought i was going to die! I could only run a little less than half a mile! After a lot of running; i'm talking everyday, I can run 3 miles with no problem! Its all about be gradual, don't try and over do your self too quick. Also if you really cut back on your calorie intake and shed some lbs it will be a lot easier to run! As for being easy on your joints, running probably not the best way to go. Race walking sounds like a good idea! I was born with a dislocated hip and have experienced hip pain for a while and running doesn't help, but for me its mind over matter. I'm only 15 (almost 16!) and i cant imagine how my joints are going to be when im older but like i said mind over matter, if you want it, you can do it! Good Luck!
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! My knees hate me already and I'm only 25....AH! I've learned a GREAT pair of running/walking shoes is CRUCIAL and worth the expense! Goodluck!!!!

This is definitely true. Having someone from a running store evaluate your stride and find an appropriate pair of shoes should be done by anyone looking to seriously get into running.
  • kashia09
    kashia09 Posts: 15
    Options
    This is definitely true. Having someone from a running store evaluate your stride and find an appropriate pair of shoes should be done by anyone looking to seriously get into running.

well Krystlelynn...looks like you married the right man...Tell James to do his job and make the running happen...hahaha :)
  • SimplyMrsBlue
    Options
    new shoes for meeeee
  • Unbreakable360
    Options
    ...welcome...!!!...glad to have you onboard...!!!...and think....know and just do...that's it....as far as running...take it slow...start of walking even...if needed and build up to it...if you over do it as you are first begining...you might become too demotivated and not want to continue due to how you feel...small goals and build up from there....good luck to you...
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Try doing a brisk pace walk with an incline. It will exponentially increase your exercise tolerance and won't hurt your joints as badly as running. Once you get more used to the breathing and blood pumping, running on a flat surface will be much easier. Although it will kill your knees if you push your running too far to start (learned that lesson the hard way).