Fitbit or Garmin

Options
Hi all which is better Fitbit or Garmin from your experiences I'm so undecided. Want it for helping me track my exercise and steps not so bothered about heart rate. Thanks all

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It's hard to answer without knowing which models you're looking at and what type of exercise you want to track, exactly. As a general rule: If your exercise routine consists of walking and not really much else, buy whichever you can get a better deal on or prefer the looks of. If you do more varied types of exercise, Garmin.
  • gember85
    gember85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at the fitbit charge and the garmin vivofit. My exercise is mainly walking/ jogging. I'm just after one that will tell me how many steps I've done and a rough idea of calories burned x
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Definitely Garmin if you run.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Whatever your friends use - the social aspects of challenges are nice. They are both equivalent devices.
  • mlawton959
    mlawton959 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using Garmin for over a ayear and it is good for running and steps, it isn't perfect and is sometimes slow to connect to the GPS signal but I still like it.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Garmin for distance running. I have the Fenix 3 and it's awesome!. But the lower models work great too. Forerunner 220 is prob the best all around on a budget choice. Has most of the bells and whistles. Check out dcrainmaker.com for very detailed reviews.
  • kdubray
    kdubray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the vivofit but the vivosmart is WAY more accurate than the fitbit flex was. the calorie burn is more in line with my actual activity, and the adjusting goal is a nice challenge.
  • almancorona88
    almancorona88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Help guys... Looking for advise... I need one that track HR when jogging/running, track steps, count calories and also when I do weight, gps etc.... Ive been looking at the fitbit blaze and polar m400 ... Any ideas on an accurate one? Thanks in advance guys!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Help guys... Looking for advise... I need one that track HR when jogging/running, track steps, count calories and also when I do weight, gps etc.... Ive been looking at the fitbit blaze and polar m400 ... Any ideas on an accurate one? Thanks in advance guys!

Don't go with the Blaze if you want something that is both accurate and includes GPS. I had the Blaze for a short period of time and returned it as it was constantly under reporting my walked miles everyday by as much as half to one mile. That was even after I went through and redid my true steps within the settings menu. The Blaze also does not include true GPS but uses what it calls "Dirrect Connect" that requires you to carry your mobile phone on you while exercising outdoors. While this brought the miles closer to what I did, it was still off by a couple of 100 steps. Read the community threads over on Fitbits site about the Blaze as there are many people complaining about this issue and as of yet there has been no Software update to fix it.
  • Hortmama
    Hortmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner. What i like is that when i come home and sync, i have a map of my route and can see my splits. Splits help me figure out where i need to pick up my feet.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used the Fitbit Charge HR for 9 months, and I am now on a Garmin Forerunner 235. I like them both, but I prefer the Garmin because it's all in one. You can use the Fitbit to track exercise but it requires the phone app, which has been crashing like mad lately. I've always used a Garmin for running so when I wore the Fitbit, I still put on the Garmin for exercise, which meant I was running around with two watches. I also like the Garmin better aesthetically.
  • Chiqui74
    Options
    Whatever your friends use - the social aspects of challenges are nice. They are both equivalent devices.

I do miss the challenges on the Fitbit.
  • gember85
    Options
    Thanks all I should of added most of my exercise is done on treadmill. I like the fact the garmin runs on battery rather than having to keep charging. So Garmin is better than fitbit then? X
  • Jeepygirl
    Jeepygirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin Vivoactive. it counts steps, you can use a chest strap HRM with it, it does indoor & outdoor running, walking, cycling & swimming. It's a smart watch, so I get my phone alerts as well and they're really not that expensive.
  • Chiqui74
    Options
    Thanks all I should of added most of my exercise is done on treadmill. I like the fact the garmin runs on battery rather than having to keep charging. So Garmin is better than fitbit then? X

I could be wrong but all the Garmin watches I've ever had run by charging, not battery like normal watches.
  • brrrrito
    brrrrito Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    if you aren't interested in heart rate, try a Jawbone UP. i have the UP2 and really love it. you charge via USB and it lasts for about 8 days.
  • gember85
    Options
    Thanks all got a fitbit so will see how I get on with that ☺
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Chiqui74 wrote: »

I could be wrong but all the Garmin watches I've ever had run by charging, not battery like normal watches.

Can confirm both my Forerunnrer 220 and Fenix 3 have rechargeable batterys. Pretty sure all garmins are.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm a dork. I have both. I may have a gadget problem. I love my garmin forerunner for running and I've been using it (and its predecessor) for 8 years. Real-time pace and distance plus the ability to go through my log later and compare my runs with incredible detail - these things make me really happy. But for a treadmill runner - that kind of detail probably wouldn't benefit you much.

But I love my fitbit for the social aspect and it's incredibly motivating for regular, daily activity. I was surprised to discover that I sometimes put in FEWER steps on a run day - as if I believed that once I ran a few miles, I could then veg on the couch for the next 24 hours.

Both require charging, but I know there is at least one fitbit model that doesn't - you just put the battery in and replace it once a month or so. Maybe the vivofit works the same way.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Best Buy has the Jawbone Up3, which does do heart rate, on sale for $99.99 from $179.99. I just came from target, they matched it, and I got an extra 5% off with my red card so I paid $94.99! I'm hoping I love it because that was a fabulous price!