No inches lost !

Options
Hi. I've posted the same topic before but it's getting ridiculous now. I have now lost around 23 lbs and yet my clothes are still snug and I can't see any changes in shape ...other then a bit of back fat and some from the boob area but not 23 lbs worth. My stomach still bulges and I look a couple of months pregnant! And for someone who is now 9 stone 6lbs I don't think I should? It's really bringing me down

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Normally I would suggest that you may very well have lost a good deal of visceral fat, which is the fat nestled around your internal organs. It wouldn't be surprising for an overweight person to lose that but not actually lose any circumference since you'd still have the organs taking up space. But you are fairly light and your start weight wasn't too high for an average-sized woman. That makes me think that you are either pretty short or you wore really tight clothes to start with.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @Beth_Marshall how fast did you loss. 10-42% of weight loss can be lean mass instead of fat. Different macros can impact ratio perhaps. There are a lot of variables. The 23 loss was great.
  • Beth_Marshall
    Beth_Marshall Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and have lost it in just under 3 months
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What size clothes are you wearing?
  • Beth_Marshall
    Options
    UK size 12
  • sourcandies
    sourcandies Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a GP to make sure there isn't another underlying problem to make your abdomen protrude?
  • Beth_Marshall
    Options
    I'm under investigation for polycystic Overy syndrome at the moment ...one reason being my weight so on my next appointment I do plan on asking about the pregnant look
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Have you actually taken measurements, preferably in the morning before eating? I'm wondering how much is bloating, combined with a sort of body dysmorphia where you don't realize how much you've lost and now mentally focus on your stomach even more than you used to.
  • Beth_Marshall
    Options
    I haven't taken measurements but I am going to go and buy a tape measure...but since my clothes still fit the same I can't have lost much
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've lost 36lbs and still wear the same clothes. They've barely loosened up at all :|
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way... Is it possible you could you be pregnant? I know some people who have PCOS who are long into their pregnancy before finding out they're pregnant.
  • Beth_Marshall
    Options
    I've looked this way for years so I highly doubt I actually am pregnant...just look it
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I definitely encourage you to get a tape measure. Some of my clothes are still snug after 25 pounds of weight loss, but when I measure myself I do see the inches lost--I learned very quickly not to use my clothes as a judgment on inches lost :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that you want to lose another stone. A photo would be helpful. I've lost 29 lb and like you I couldn't tell by my clothes. However, I have lost 29 and I know that. I congratulate you on what you've lost. Keep going.
  • sourcandies
    sourcandies Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm under investigation for polycystic Overy syndrome at the moment ...one reason being my weight so on my next appointment I do plan on asking about the pregnant look

I would. I hope you get this sorted soon, good luck :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar experience. After losing 10% of my body weight, my clothes are slightly looser, but nothing to write home about. No one really notices except me. People sometimes have mentioned that I "lost weight from my face," which I guess is a good thing?

More importantly: my blood pressure has come down and I feel pretty darned good! I hope you feel good as well.

Scientific note:

If you model yourself as a uniform cylinder, you waist will reduce as the square root of your mass. Then, if you reduced your weight by 10%, your waist would only reduce by 5%.

If you model yourself as a uniform sphere, your waist would reduce as the cube root of your mass. Then, if you reduced your weight by 10%, your waist would only reduce by 3%.

In reality, we are neither uniform spheres or cylinders and there are parts that can't be reduced such as our bones. I feel like my hip bones dominate my waist measurement, so it doesn't reduce very much with weight. My chest and neck seem to respond much more.
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I take measurements once a month. I had to take some a little early to order a dress online and even though I had lost 10 pounds, I measured the same as the previous month. I still took my measurements today, in the morning before I ate and there was actually quite a loss of inches. I don't know if it was bloating or time of day or maybe too much salt, but I'm happy I measured again! I was feeling pretty down.

I've lost 34 pounds in 2.5 months and my clothes still fit. I was just squeezing my giant *kitten* in things it had no business being in:)
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You definitely could have lost inches elsewhere. I put on my necklace after not wearing it for a few months, and it was loose. Used to be a snug fit, lol.

Some people have also reported going down a shoe size after losing weight, and having to get wedding rings and such resized, so it really can come off from anywhere on us.
  • miztessbert
    miztessbert Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and it wasn't until I lost about 35-40 lbs that I started to see my clothes getting "too big" and hang off me. I too was really disappointed by that since I expected to be able to fit into smaller clothes when I lost the first 10 lbs. However, I'm amazed to find that even though my weight loss as slowed down recently as I get closer to my goal weight, I'm reducing my clothes size more quickly with a smaller weight loss -- it's like my body had to take several weeks to reflect the total weight loss. Maybe shrinking clothes sizes are driven more by % weight lost as opposed to total pounds lost...?
  • Catiebeee
    Catiebeee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I came on to post about something similar. I feel your pain. I've lost 18 lbs and my waist measurement is exactly the same as when I started. The last time I was this weight was more than 20 years ago, and I fit clothes two sizes smaller. Not now.