Noob runner looking for buddies and motivation

Options
Hi! I have just started the couch to 5i. Only on day 2 but enjoying it a lot and have surprised myself already. I cant imagine being able to run for a whole 30 mins without stopping to walk but im determined

Replies

• misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Also on day two. My mom is being honored in a memorial run in September, so I really want to run it
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Distance runner since '08! Have dozen races coming up. 25k distance up to 100k(62mi)!
    Always room on my FL for runners!
    And that goes for everyone :)
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Distance runner here, too. In the middle of training for my first marathon. Add me if you'd like. :)
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Weekend runner. I'd love some motivation as well, especially for Monday-Friday.
  • SecretWeaponKevin
    SecretWeaponKevin Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting week 3, I always welcome new friends! :smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    triathlete and runner here.

my best advice is to sign up for a race. that gives you the biggest amount of motivation to get the work in.
  • MrsMizzart
    MrsMizzart Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Me!

Um. I'm not actually a runner yet..., but once this blasted bug has bobbed off I'll be doing the C25K :-)

Previous user back with a new name and a new approach!
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started C25K a year ago, and since then have run in many road races (including a half marathon) and will be completing a marathon this fall. Feel free to add me, I log all my runs here, and provide lots of support to my runner friends.
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hey! Feel free to add me. I still consider myself a noob but I'm training for my first half marathon in May.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I just registered for my first 5k! I started running a couple of months ago and am both nervous and excited for my first race. My advice, from newbie to newbie:

1) Get fitted for the right shoes for you.

2) Find your pace. I kind of stumbled upon mine while browsing through playlists on Spotify and finding a low tempo running one. I originally picked it out to increase my walking pace, then realized it was a bit fast for walking but that I could jog to most of the songs and felt like I could keep going forever.

The first 5k I ran on my treadmill was almost an accident. I was only going to do a mile, but I was feeling comfortable and decided to keep going, then figured I might as well shoot for a full 5k, and it just happened. Now I can't wait to cross my first finish line! (I'm probably going to ugly cry, no lie.)
  • Tinymeaf
    Tinymeaf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Been running a month now, and using the run trainer app. This app sets up a schedule to get you ready for a future race. I chose the 2 minute walk then 3 minute walk intervals, and am up to 60 minutes in total. Well on my way to getting ready for a 10 km event in June, and I'm not breaking down with injuries. If you haven't been running, it's important to give your body a chance to adjust to the stresses of running, and also to recover. Good luck! You can add me if you want.
  • AllureMel
    AllureMel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just started on the treadmill, this is week three...whenever I increase the speed, I noticed that my shin starts to hurt and I lower the speed. I want to increase my speed but the pain makes me slow down. any advice?
  • Dula73
    Dula73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Finished C25K a couple of months ago and then started bridge to 10K. I'm super slow and have good days and bad days so looking for motivation and support!

I'm not sure I'll ever enjoy running but I'm sticking with it! Debating a 10K race in May but I'm not sure I'll be ready as I only get about 2 runs in a week.

C25K is great, I still can't believe it works so well! Good luck!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    mojallwood wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I just started on the treadmill, this is week three...whenever I increase the speed, I noticed that my shin starts to hurt and I lower the speed. I want to increase my speed but the pain makes me slow down. any advice?
    @mojallwood Make sure you get fitted for shoes at a specialty running store. Sounds like you're currently experiencing shin splints. Take 3-5days off running and bike, swim instead. Then resume running with a slow easy pace. Takes time for the body to adapt to added mileage. or speed. Run on dirt, grass, sand, even pools for a reduced impact on the bones/joints. Run the majority of your runs with a easy, conversational pace and include 1 speed day per week or every 2 weeks. Build distance first, then speed. Good luck.

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I'm a solid 5K runner. You'll bypass me one day as you make your way to 10K and beyond and you'll get my support in every step of the way.
    I also trained with C25K. It's a great program.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    mojallwood wrote: »

Speed comes with time. Lots of time.
    In C25K (or any training program), you're job is to run slow. You need to give your body time to get in sync and strengthen. Right now your muscles may be able to go quicker but your tendons may not and if you push it, you will injure yourself.
    Keep slow and then slow down some more. Build up a good base. After you finish C25K and have some months of running under your feet after finishing the program, you can start to train at picking up the pace.
    It can be frustrating but you'll be a stronger, less injured runner in the end.
  • kristinajeang
    kristinajeang Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k three years ago and after a while I was running 5 miles a day! Unfortunately life got the better of me and I gained lots of weight plus some over the years, but I'm looking to get back into it again! I actually just got back from a 2mi run! :smile:

Would love more runners on my FL!
  • rabblescum
    rabblescum Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am I'm week three Of c25k, loving it and hating it all at once. Love it while I am out there, hate the pain later. Adding you.
  • natalialikescookies
    natalialikescookies Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    I'm on week 5 of c25k and I'm hoping to learn to love to run. Before this program I've never even run a mile non stop. Sad, I know. I'm still not enjoying it but I haven't given up!
    Feel free to add me! I'm always looking for friends to help stay motivated :)