Waking up really early for work outs?

Options
Queenblyn
Queenblyn Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2016 in Getting Started
Does waking up hours before normal wake up time and hitting the gym really give you more energy? I just joined a gym and would like to go in the mornings before work, but as of now I have no energy.. Was wondering if I will get an energy boost from this, or just feel more fatigued?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    personal preference..

and why is this in the debate section?
  • wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I get up at 2 somedays to workout at 3 am
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It is a personal preference. I get up at 5 am and stumble around and am in the gym by 5:30 a.m. I find that I am more focused throughout the day without feeling the need for a nap nor am I trying to nod off or anything like that. I will say that it took a month or two for the "shock" to wear off waking up that early when I first started. I do early mornings because I know that by the end of a work day, I will be tired and won't want to do anything else.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    crack of dawn? why so late?
  • iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think I like getting up early in the morning because then it is done and I don't have to worry about other things in the day sabotaging that time. its guaranteed to get done in the early am. I think I feel better but can't really say for sure.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Queenblyn wrote: »
    Does waking up hours before normal wake up time and hitting the gym really give you more energy? I just joined a gym and would like to go in the mornings before work, but as of now I have no energy without the gym.. Was wondering if I will get an energy boost from this, or just feel more fatiqued?

the secret isn't waking up earlier. it's going to bed earlier. and that generally involves avoiding caffeine, heavy foods, and alcohol before bed so you can sleep comfortably. i also suggest turning off or avoiding electronics so you can fall asleep quicker and easier.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    XWKvywo.png
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    If that works for you, do it. There's absolutely no way I would get up that early just to work out but that's me. I do mine late afternoon. Early mornings would just set me up to fail miserably.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    It is personal preference. I could never do that. I go to bed between 11-11:30 and get up at 7. I can't imagine getting up at 5:30 and 2 am? That's the middle of the night. It is much easier for me to workout in the evening even if I'm tired from working all day but whatever works for you is best for you.
  • chsberthelot
    chsberthelot Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I personally can't work out after working all day so I love going before work in the morning. 330 Now like someone else said the key is to go to bed earlier.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the morning, I tend to be more energetic but I can't fit it into my schedule right now, so I go to the gym after work.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I can't do it, I'm exhausted and tired. It may all be mental as I can get in a walk at lunch with no problems.
  • brucealfred3
    brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I for one love working out really early in the morning!! It makes the day so much more productive..and honestly...the days seem strangely wrong. Like seriou...on the day you work out, the next day will feel like it's been 2 days. But yes! You should totally go for it!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    If that works for you, do it. There's absolutely no way I would get up that early just to work out but that's me. I do mine late afternoon. Early mornings would just set me up to fail miserably.

Ditto this. I work out mid to late afternoon. But that's just what works best for me and my lifestyle. :)
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Honestly it sets me up for failure. I am not a morning person by nature, so plans which require me to get up before my body wants to are doomed.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I realised that I was waking up, then hitting the snooze button for ages. I changed that into a get out of bed and into the gym routine, so that by the time I truly wake up I've practically FINISHED my workout and my body doesn't realise it's been tricked into exercise.

Otherwise I have great plans for evening workouts, then five minutes before I get there I create the most complicated excuses imaginable not to go. It leaves my evenings free for fun stuff like going out and dancing (although that too is a secret workout)
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Mornings for me. It's way quieter, I get it out the way, it sets me up for the day and it helps me with my general sleep schedule.

I HATE how busy the gym is after work and mostly I just want to go home and not be surrounded by sweaty people.

If you decide to go with mornings, you need to commit to it. Takes 3 weeks to built a habit/routine, so keep it up! Oh! And have EVERYTHING ready to go the night before, so you can just roll out of bed into your gym clothes and out the door.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I get up very early, every morning and go in before work. I am a morning person though, and know that I am unlikely to go in after work. I work long hours from April through November so working out early is the only option, plus I love being done early. I have 15,000 steps in already this morning, 75 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minute walk outside.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

If you decide to go with mornings, you need to commit to it. Takes 3 weeks to built a habit/routine, so keep it up! Oh! And have EVERYTHING ready to go the night before, so you can just roll out of bed into your gym clothes and out the door.

yeah this too - I get everything ready, including clothes for showering at the gym, AND my lunch etc. for work. That way I can roll out of bed and get to the gym without faltering
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to work out early in the morning but as others have said, it requires going to bed at a decent time and getting enough sleep. I'm not a morning person by nature but definitely have enough energy when I get at least 6 hours of sleep and exercise before work.

I've done as early as 4.45am alarm for a 5am workout but right at the moment it's a 5.45am alarm and straight into workout (I have a good home gym).