Working Out While on Your Cycle?

Options
This is really taboo for me. I feel disgusting during this time but I feel like I should be doing something. I dont want to lose the momentum Ive motivated my self to gain being idle. Do you switch up your routines during that time of the month? Do you still do cardio? Any favorite healthy snacks during this time?

I just dont feel secure jumping around when its that time. am I the only one ?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Basically just take it down a notch but still workout. I find if I skip it all together I actually feel worse. Instead of running a mile I might walk 2. I agree jumping is not an exercise I would want to do.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nope, I continue on. Exercising actually makes me feel better - less crampy, less irritable, etc.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel better when I move a lot on my period. I guess it depends on your method of hygiene during that time, some are more comfortable than others to exercise. Personally I can't do anything heavy with a tampon inside, they hurt me too much. So I have to use a maxi pad if I want to really work out. If I need a light work load day I can take a brisk walk and it still feels great and reduces my cramping.

I try not to change my routine too much for my period though. I use my elliptical 3-4 days a week and building that habit will be more important than my comfort on my next cycle. Just gotta keep at it.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I work out unless I have extremely bad cramps, but even then I'll take some pamprin and try to get through it. Exercise is like an antidepressant/ anti anxiety fix for me so I really hate to miss it, especially when I'm super hormonal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't change my routine with the exception of if I'm having a really weak day, I will lower the weights I lift. I usually up the reps though when that happens.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    What Lizzy622 says: workout but take it down a notch, 99% of the time I feel better AFTER the workout it gets my blood going, warms me up, lifts my mood... Walking or doing a less intense cardio helps me.
    As far as food I try to eat slot of protein; pnut butter, cottage cheese, fish etc.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I carry on, it's just another day. Like others said, it can help with the symptoms.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I don't change a thing. If I miss my workout I actually feel worse. I don't weigh myself that week though!!
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I actually ramp up my efforts during that time because I know it'll lead to a nice drop on the scale post-PMS.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I work out harder because it makes me feel better (helps cramps and bloat) and slows the flow. It also makes me feel slightly less guilty about the sugar/salt/sugar/salt cravings. May I ask what form of "protection" you use? I only ask because I've noticed so many women still wear pads. Of course you're miserable wearing pads!
  • stolen_spoon
    stolen_spoon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I tend to have a lot of energy the first two days, so that makes it easy to be active. Just have to use a little bit more protection and an old ratty pair of panties.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Absolutely work out! It's 25% of the month. You'll likely feel better.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I fight myself every month. I get angry and don't want to do anything other than eat and be angry but I know if I exercise lightly it will elevate my mood! Normally exercise wins, sometimes chocolate wins and that's ok too
  • deetucker70
    deetucker70 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I workout the same- feel sluggish if I don't! But no scales for me that week!
  • piinkrevolver
    piinkrevolver Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use both tampons & pads. I double up.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't change my routine with the exception of if I'm having a really weak day, I will lower the weights I lift. I usually up the reps though when that happens.

This is what I do. I also wear a cup which for me is far superior to tampons or pads.

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I work out harder because it makes me feel better (helps cramps and bloat) and slows the flow. It also makes me feel slightly less guilty about the sugar/salt/sugar/salt cravings. May I ask what form of "protection" you use? I only ask because I've noticed so many women still wear pads. Of course you're miserable wearing pads!

Not everyone is miserable! We all have different anatomy and they don't sell customizable tampons (yet!).
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't change anything. I still swim, run, cycle, do yoga, etc.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't do pilates during my period because it increased my flow dramatically with lots of leakage and cramps.
    All other exercises I've done seem to be okay for me. If nothing feels right then I just walk.

food- I eat at maintenance for a couple of days. Watch my sodium intake. I have some dark chocolate.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Keep going, it'll make you feel better. You can go a little easier if you need to.

This morning I started my period, had awful cramps and was tired as hell. I said "screw 4:30am" and went back to bed. Ended up doing my run after work. At least I got it in!