Can you build muscle into loosing weight ?

Options
My theory is that protein grows muscle , more muscle you have the more fat you burn. Is that a valid way to think about things ?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no.

Protein helps aid in the repair of muscles.

To build muscles in a normal circumstance you have to do the following

Eat in a surplus of maintenance or at maintenance

and

do a progressive load lifting program.

Ensure protein intake is adequate along with other macros.

non regular circumstances where you can build in a deficit is as follows:

obese
    new to lifting (short term small gains)
    teen age boys (grumbles)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    protein is required to grow muscle, but you won't grow muscle just because you ate protein. You have to stimulate your muscles by doing resistance work.

As for burning more fat, well that isn't quite correct either. While muscle burns a few more calories per hour compared to fat it won't burn any fat if you are eating at maintenance. The size of your deficit (energy expended - energy consumed) dictates how much weight you'll lose and you can adjust that regardless of your muscle-to-fat ratio.

If you are going to try and build muscle to lose weight I can tell you that you'll probably fail (along with everyone else who typically fails). I went almost 6 months lifting weights and didn't lose a lb because I ate too much food. It wasn't until I got the calorie intake portion under control that I lost the weight and therefore the fat.
  • Tinymeaf
    Tinymeaf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Without getting science-y the answer is yes. Watch what you are eating to hit calorie goals and throw in exercises. I'm doing cardio 3 times a week along with strength training 2 times. Lost 25 pounds in 3 months, and am getting a lean muscle base, including the makings of a 6 pack. Not looking to be a body-builder, just wanting to get leaner and stronger with more energy, and it's working.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My theory is that protein grows muscle , more muscle you have the more fat you burn. Is that a valid way to think about things ?

Your theory doesn't really matter. Scientific fact is what counts.

First, understand that you are in one of three energy states:

1) Calorie surplus (eating more than you burn)
    2) Maintenance
    3) Calorie deficit (eating less than you burn)

In order to lose fat you have to eat - and maintain over time - a caloric deficit. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose muscle along with fat. This is biology; it's your body looking for fuel and it will take from everywhere. But you can prevent muscle loss significantly by lifting heavy weight, causing your body to lose mostly fat.

While you are in a caloric deficit, your body will find it very difficult to build new muscle, no matter how much protein you eat. This is just biology. Notice I didn't say "impossible" - I just said, very difficult.

Typically, if you start a progressive overload strength training program while in a caloric deficit, you will get stronger. These are typically referred to as "newbie gains" and have more to do with your ability to adapt to the exercise than actually growing a bunch of muscle. You're training your CNS during this time.

When you are in a caloric deficit and lifting heavy weights, what you're basically doing is holding onto the muscle you already have. This is a good thing, but should not be confused with gaining muscle while losing fat.

All of that said: you can do this, to some degree, and it is called Body Re-composition. Check the forum threads for this and you'll find all sorts of plans for doing this.

But Body Re-composition takes a long, long time to see noticeable results. And it can play tricks with your mind because the scale won't be moving, but you'll lose inches as the fat comes off and you will eventually look different.

Now, from my personal experience: body recomp is hard. I see faster results sticking to either cutting (eating at a deficit and lifting to preserve muscle) or bulking. I see the same thing from people in my gym as well. The guys who work exclusively on cutting seem to make way better progress with fat loss.

There are trainers and experts who suggest body recomp is perfect for newbies. You may want to look at their advice.

And remember: there's no magic bullet. Sadly.
  • ShalloKiBaji
    ShalloKiBaji Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! Your answer was what I was looking for!

Your theory doesn't really matter. Scientific fact is what counts.

First, understand that you are in one of three energy states:

1) Calorie surplus (eating more than you burn)
    2) Maintenance
    3) Calorie deficit (eating less than you burn)

In order to lose fat you have to eat - and maintain over time - a caloric deficit. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose muscle along with fat. This is biology; it's your body looking for fuel and it will take from everywhere. But you can prevent muscle loss significantly by lifting heavy weight, causing your body to lose mostly fat.

While you are in a caloric deficit, your body will find it very difficult to build new muscle, no matter how much protein you eat. This is just biology. Notice I didn't say "impossible" - I just said, very difficult.

Typically, if you start a progressive overload strength training program while in a caloric deficit, you will get stronger. These are typically referred to as "newbie gains" and have more to do with your ability to adapt to the exercise than actually growing a bunch of muscle. You're training your CNS during this time.

When you are in a caloric deficit and lifting heavy weights, what you're basically doing is holding onto the muscle you already have. This is a good thing, but should not be confused with gaining muscle while losing fat.

All of that said: you can do this, to some degree, and it is called Body Re-composition. Check the forum threads for this and you'll find all sorts of plans for doing this.

But Body Re-composition takes a long, long time to see noticeable results. And it can play tricks with your mind because the scale won't be moving, but you'll lose inches as the fat comes off and you will eventually look different.

Now, from my personal experience: body recomp is hard. I see faster results sticking to either cutting (eating at a deficit and lifting to preserve muscle) or bulking. I see the same thing from people in my gym as well. The guys who work exclusively on cutting seem to make way better progress with fat loss.

There are trainers and experts who suggest body recomp is perfect for newbies. You may want to look at their advice.

And remember: there's no magic bullet. Sadly.