Form a habit

Options
Steph1079
Steph1079 Posts: 24 Member
So they say it takes 21 days to form a habit. The habit I really want to form is a morning workout. So, worth a shot right? Let's test this theory!! I've done a 5:30am workout for 2 days now. 19 days to go! Anybody need to form a habit. Wanna test out the 21 day theory with me? I'll add you and we'll keep each other going. Doesn't matter what healtht habit you want to form, just do it for 21 days!!!

Replies

• lil_katie86
    lil_katie86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes you can add me! I've been doing a morning work out every day except one day in two and a half weeks so far:-)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    66 days so far and it isn't a habit. What gets me going on the workout is filling out my food plan for the day and seeing that I've got a deficit of 900+ and the only way I can get my deficit over 1000 is to start jogging.
  • Steph1079
    Options
    Yes you can add me! I've been doing a morning work out every day except one day in two and a half weeks so far:-)

Awesome! Is it starting to feel like a habit yet?
  • Steph1079
    Options
    66 days so far and it isn't a habit. What gets me going on the workout is filling out my food plan for the day and seeing that I've got a deficit of 900+ and the only way I can get my deficit over 1000 is to start jogging.

I definitely agree with the logging. I love how my morning workout immediately gives me a calorie cushion for the day.
  • Steph1079
    Options
    Day 3 done! 5:30 am wake up and at the gym by 6!
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I need to get into the habit of early morning workouts. I'm trying but it isn't happening! I'm definitely going to go tomorrow because it's Saturday! Need to keep it going through next week though!!
  • Steph1079
    Options
    ChaleGirl wrote: »
    I need to get into the habit of early morning workouts. I'm trying but it isn't happening! I'm definitely going to go tomorrow because it's Saturday! Need to keep it going through next week though!!

I hear ya its so hard. I find if I take more than one day off of getting up early than I'm right back at square one. I'm determined to plow through though!
  • Steph1079
    Options
    Day 4 done!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's a myth that you can form a habit in 21 days. The habit of working out is one of the hardest to form. In the end it doesn't matter. You have to start.

http://audacious-aging.nyc/whole-hearted-habits/
  • jesss98765
    jesss98765 Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I believe in the 21 days! Add me and we can see each others progress!
  • Steph1079
    Options
    It's a myth that you can form a habit in 21 days. The habit of working out is one of the hardest to form. In the end it doesn't matter. You have to start.

http://audacious-aging.nyc/whole-hearted-habits/

I appreciate the post, but with all due respect I'll carry on. And if at the end of 21 days its not a habit, I'll still be 21 days closer to my goal of forming a habit and then ... I'll do 21 more.
  • Steph1079
    Options
    Day 5 done! Felt like crap all day and new the only thing to improve my mood was probably a workout. And it worked!
  • Steph1079
    Options
    jesss98765 wrote: »
    I believe in the 21 days! Add me and we can see each others progress!

Thanks Jess! What habit are you working on?
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    In psych courses they told us 6 weeks of adherence usually forms a habit (so that would be 42 days...sorry!). However, it is true that the more frequently you do something, the more likely you are to repeat it--but only if you see/feel a tangible reward for doing the activity. I tried this mindset with flossing and it worked. Exercising six days a week came slower, but I think the same rules apply.

Good luck!
  • Steph1079
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    In psych courses they told us 6 weeks of adherence usually forms a habit (so that would be 42 days...sorry!). However, it is true that the more frequently you do something, the more likely you are to repeat it--but only if you see/feel a tangible reward for doing the activity. I tried this mindset with flossing and it worked. Exercising six days a week came slower, but I think the same rules apply.

Good luck!

Thank you! It certainly makes sense that it may take longer than 21 days. But I also think that shorter goals are more easily acheivable so I'll just take it 21 days at a time.
  • Steph1079
    Options
    Day 6 done! Up nice and early on a cold Sunday morning to hit the gym!!
  • Bostonbee79
    Bostonbee79 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of going to the gym. I plan on going tomorrow, but will do light cardio. My muscles hurt a bit.
  • Steph1079
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of going to the gym. I plan on going tomorrow, but will do light cardio. My muscles hurt a bit.

Awesome! Good idea to switch things up, keeps you from getting bored too!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I've been walking on the treadmill every other day for two months. It really has become a habit. I stress if my days are busy when I know I need to walk that day and night miss it.
  • Steph1079
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I've been walking on the treadmill every other day for two months. It really has become a habit. I stress if my days are busy when I know I need to walk that day and night miss it.

Wonderful! Good for you! I can't wait to get that feeling that my body is telling me I need to get up and work out!