Nutritional supplements are a massive scam?

Options
NA1979
NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
I'm starting to read articles now that state most of these bodybuilding, fat loss supplements are a scam mostly. Only creatine is proven to work, (not sure how significantly) and protein, which is just food, so does what food does. Apparently the supplement industry has for years dictated popular,long held opinions on how to eat healthy, for example 6 small meals a day to "keep the metabolism going" but really they know it's hard to eat so much so you can buy and use more of their protein shakes as an alternative, even the 2grams of protein per pound of body weight , again to sell more of their product to you,it's just amazing how doctors and other health professionals also gave this advice.

Replies

• NA1979
    Options
    Yeah protein is more just convenient, it's just protein in a convenient form, and as such it's my most important sup. Creatine, I don't know if it's just over rated. But the rest is just balls, I bought beta alanine and citrulline the other day to make my own pre work out along with caffeine, as the normal ones are supposed to be under dosed, even with proper dose did bugger all for me.save my money from now on I think.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
    Food is the optimum source.
    I agree that for an individual's specific goals protein power is beneficial.
    Some enjoy pre-workout supplements as well, but again, goal specific.

Anything that promotes what exercise does without actually doing the exercise-scam.

Anything that helps you create a calorie deficit- ie meal replacement shakes- is nothing more than a waste of money- providing the same results eating FOOD at a calorie deficit will. However many choose these due to time. Fine, but the weight loss is not from the shake but the deficit itself.

Appetite suppressants may help but it teaches the person nothing on how to control their portions and timing, etc. Unless they take them for life when they stop they probably will still not know moderation and portion control.

A balanced diet and a good multi-vitamin is plenty for most
  • NA1979
    Options
    Absolutely @MommyMeggo, I agree with the meal replacement stuff, it's just when they promise miracles, advertised with a steroid enhanced model, yeah protein definitely useful, it's just the manufacturer sells it though you'd get the results of steroids if you take 5 scoops a day, and naive people just fall for it (such as I,at one time,as early as last week lol)
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    NA1979 wrote: »
    6 small meals a day to "keep the metabolism going" but really they know it's hard to eat so much.

I think they mean to break up your 3 main meals into 6 smaller meals. I'm making sub 1800 calories fit into 5-6 meals just fine
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Absolutely @MommyMeggo, I agree with the meal replacement stuff, it's just when they promise miracles, advertised with a steroid enhanced model, yeah protein definitely useful, it's just the manufacturer sells it though you'd get the results of steroids if you take 5 scoops a day, and naive people just fall for it (such as I,at one time,as early as last week lol)

I hear you!
    Education and Trial and error.
    Once people see the light though- it clicks.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I bought beta alanine and citrulline the other day to make my own pre work out along with caffeine, as the normal ones are supposed to be under dosed, even with proper dose did bugger all for me.

How do you know that it didn't do anything for you? (I assume that's what you meant)
  • NA1979
    Options
    Basically I didn't feel any different from when I exercised without it, just yesterday. No increased focus,no increased stamina etc.if you check examine.com or Web md,the research does suggest if these are effective, it's insignificant to make a difference, anyway I'm gonna get through my existing packets,and just maybe use protein from now on. What do you think, have they worked for you @kwtilbury?
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree.

Sometimes I think about what athletes did back in their day. Did Jesse Owens use BCAAs during training? Did Rod Laver take a preworkout before a match? What did bodybuilders with statuesque physiques take before steroids came out? Heck, with steroids they don't need to shop at GNC. All of this racks my brain and makes me question if a more holistic approach to nutrition, as it relates to fitness, will end up holding me back in the long run.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    xSPICYx wrote: »
    6 small meals a day to "keep the metabolism going" but really they know it's hard to eat so much.

I think they mean to break up your 3 main meals into 6 smaller meals. I'm making sub 1800 calories fit into 5-6 meals just fine

Either way, it's false. No need to eat 6 times a day if it doesn't work for you. Meal timing is largely irrelevant to weight loss and body composition other than the really lean looking to get a touch leaner. And even then, I'm not 100% convinced.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think it's a load of crap.

I use protein powder during the summer in smoothies as I typically eat eggs and ham and cheese in the winter.

The rest eh.
  • NA1979
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Either way, it's false. No need to eat 6 times a day if it doesn't work for you. Meal timing is largely irrelevant to weight loss and body composition other than the really lean looking to get a touch leaner. And even then, I'm not 100% convinced.

Yeah read that too, the idea is when you tell someone to eat 6 small high protein meals a day, it's hard for most people to prepare arange and afford this, not to mention just finding time in your day to eat that many times, ideal 'solution' protein powder! You eat more you buy more. Clever though.
  • NA1979
    Options
    I tend to agree.

Sometimes I think about what athletes did back in their day. Did Jesse Owens use BCAAs during training? Did Rod Laver take a preworkout before a match? What did bodybuilders with statuesque physiques take before steroids came out? Heck, with steroids they don't need to shop at GNC. All of this racks my brain and makes me question if a more holistic approach to nutrition, as it relates to fitness, will end up holding me back in the long run.

Absolutely!
  • NA1979
    Options
    You pick up any 'fitness magazine' you see huge steroid guys sipping on some whey protein, implying he got so big drinking some of this,if your an impressionable youngster or a naeive person, you'd go and buy it for the wrong reason, I.e to get big like the poster guy, rather that to supplement your protein needs.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    It's marketing. Every product on the planet uses it in one form or another.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Well it works for me. Not only do I get to relax some while I eat something tasty throughout the day, but it helps curb my appetite by eating more constantly than waiting 5 hours for a large meal. Plus I eat easy foods. Banana and shake for breakfast. Greek yogurt for brunch. Salad with chicken and eggs for lunch. Some type of snack (maybe tuna or something) later on before dinner. Something larger for dinner. Protein shake later or peanut butter later on before bed if I'm hungry. All really easy. No prepping needed. Boring? Probably, but routine is key to me so I'm totally used to it.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Basically I didn't feel any different from when I exercised without it, just yesterday. No increased focus,no increased stamina etc.if you check examine.com or Web md,the research does suggest if these are effective, it's insignificant to make a difference, anyway I'm gonna get through my existing packets,and just maybe use protein from now on. What do you think, have they worked for you @kwtilbury?

Neither of the supplements you mentioned are intended to have an impact on focus or an immediate impact on stamina. Beta-alanine is intended to support lactic acid buffering, which increases the capacity of your muscles to do work. However, it requires regular doses to build up in your system. Citrulline increases nitric oxide synthesis (the pump) and reduces fatigue.

These two, along with creatine, are reasonably well researched. I have noticed a difference when taking them at recommended doses, both in terms of vascularity and ability to continue lifting toward the end of my workout.
  • SnappyDresser
    SnappyDresser Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Absolutely.
    Food is the optimum source.
    I agree that for an individual's specific goals protein power is beneficial.
    Some enjoy pre-workout supplements as well, but again, goal specific.

Anything that promotes what exercise does without actually doing the exercise-scam.

Anything that helps you create a calorie deficit- ie meal replacement shakes- is nothing more than a waste of money- providing the same results eating FOOD at a calorie deficit will. However many choose these due to time. Fine, but the weight loss is not from the shake but the deficit itself.

Appetite suppressants may help but it teaches the person nothing on how to control their portions and timing, etc. Unless they take them for life when they stop they probably will still not know moderation and portion control.

A balanced diet and a good multi-vitamin is plenty for most

TY, THAT was very well said. It summed up my thoughts on diet and fitness industry & drug scams exactly! Although I do use whey supp since I eat so little meat type proteins (and never did since age 3 ), so I need the high quality whey supp most days just for hitting macros.
  • NA1979
    Options
    To be honest with you, I've taken them before on a regular basis, when I came off it really didn't make a difference, for me anyway, according to research it lets you may be push out an extra rep or 2, maybe that makes a difference to some people, but I think that benefit is insignificant on the grand scale of things, especially now some research is emerging suggesting that working to failure every work out isn't as beneficial as once thought.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    To be honest with you, I've taken them before on a regular basis, when I came off it really didn't make a difference, for me anyway, according to research it lets you may be push out an extra rep or 2, maybe that makes a difference to some people, but I think that benefit is insignificant on the grand scale of things, especially now some research is emerging suggesting that working to failure every work out isn't as beneficial as once thought.

"Pushing out an extra rep or 2" is not the same thing as "working to failure". Pushing out an extra rep or 2 is just means your failure is pushed back a couple reps which allows for more volume. More volume. More gains.

I definitely feel like Creatine Monohydrate has helped me. Other than that, I take BCAAs when on a cut intra-workout, whey of needed to hit protein goals, fish oil, and a standard multi vitamin.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I really am starting to hope that's the case. Just this month I decided to cancel all my supplements except for the occasional protein powder and BCAAs. They're very expensive and I want to see if I can still reach my goals without them. It's like why would I throw money away on something if I can still reach my goals without them and keep all of that money in my pocket? I know there are plenty of women out there that don't use a ton of extra supplements and still reach their goals. So anyway, just canceled them last week. We'll see how things go as time goes on. :smile: